Lou Piniella admires Marlins

DurableTear

Credit: MLB.com

07/04/2004 1:32 PM ET

Notes: Piniella admires Marlins

By Paul C. Smith / MLB.com

MIAMI -- When Lou Piniella looks at the Pro Player Stadium grass, he sometimes sees what he hopes will be the future of his Devil Rays.

The Florida Marlins have won two World Series in their 11-year history and remain a contending team each year. They face some of the same marketing challenges as the Rays but have done a good job of building and rebuilding.

"Their organization has been a good blueprint of success," said Piniella. "The difference is that their payroll is around $50 million, while ours is about half that."

The Marlins are once again poised to make a run for the playoffs and most likely will be able to make moves to improve themselves as the season goes on.

Piniella looks forward to a time when the Rays have the Marlins' experience and depth.

"We'd much rather be where they are than where we are," he said. "They've got good starting pitching, which should dominate this summer, being as hot as it is."

But not everyone on the field sees the Marlins as having the upper hand at this point.

"They've been sticking it to us this year," said Marlins outfielder Juan Pierre of the Devil Rays. "It's no fluke that they are winning."

Pierre believes that the elevation of the Rays' speed game has helped them improve.

"With what [Luis Castillo and I] did last year, I think now everybody sees that you need speed to help you win," he said. "And the two games [the Rays] beat us last weekend were because of [Carl Crawford's] speed."

The Marlins led the all-time Citrus Series 21-15 going into Sunday's game, but the Rays had won four of the last five games.

Guest Juanky

well the rays haven't done crap.

as usual, wait until the season is over.

then the d-rays hype can begin! ;0

440652[/snapback]

Err.....

well the rays haven't done crap.

as usual, wait until the season is over.

then the d-rays hype can begin! ;0

440652[/snapback]

Okay.....

I gather you never look at standings or anything.

Marlins: 42-40 (.512)

Rays: 40-39 (.506)

They would basically be 1 game behind the Fish. They also just finished taking 4 of 6 from the Fish.

Right now they are riding the momentum of a great run in June, while the Marlins are currently struggling to get out of nuetral.

If the Rays can get some good starters for the next few years, they can regularly make a charge at a wild card (heck, they're only a couple of games behind the Sox right now.)

It's kinda funny that this story makes it sound like the Marlins have been this huge dominating success story since their inception. Contending team each year? Um, sure.

Our payroll is small, but it's pretty amazing what the Rays are doing with a teensy one. They really have some talent there.

sorry, don't get on me for being on some devil rays bandwagon.

i'm far from it, that's for sure.

the d-rays actually put together some sort of win streak for the first time in their existance and everyone gets excited.

the bottom line is the season isn't half way over yet, and they're a .500 team.

sure that's good for THEM. but it's not that great. they're not winning the division, and they won't make the playoffs.

and don't use that stupid record comparison against the marlins.

the marlins play in the powerhouse NL.

the devil rays play in the GOD AWFUL AL.

put them in the world series.

marlins sweep, 4-0.

Guest marlins02
and don't use that stupid record comparison against the marlins.

the marlins play in the powerhouse NL.

the devil rays play in the GOD AWFUL AL.

put them in the world series.

marlins sweep, 4-0.

440714[/snapback]

1st the hillary duff thing and now this. this dude is killing me :lol :lol

Guest Juanky

What you fail to realize is the Devil Ray defense by itself takes away so many runs, that it isn't a requirement to boost the staff that much. One starter I think makes them a playoff caliber team.

Oh, btw. The DRays are for real. They might not make the playoffs, but they won't fade away. They play with the two most important things you can have: heart and confidence.

Ok Dontrelle, maybe that your a fish fan just starting now, you don't understand what it was like for us to even approach .500. You have no respect.

And BTW: The DRays rotation is very underrated in POV. Zambrano has been good on bad DRays teams, Brazelton is showing why he was a top-3 pick, Hendrickson has provided good solid numbers for the team. Their only problem is their 5th starter as Gaudin needs more work at AAA.

What powerhouse NL? The NL got owned by the AL this year. You know what, your starting to come close to replacing the user Marlins temporarily at his post. :banghead

Just stop now.

red sox win the wildcard > devil rays win the wildcard

get realistic here people. they had an incredible win streak, to just get them to .500! and they play in a death hole division with the yankees and red sox.

i will sell my soul if they make the playoffs

oh come on. interleague play is a JOKE.

the powerhouse teams are in the NL, it's as simple as that.

what does the AL have? the RED SOX and the YANKEES.

that's it. no one else can even come close to contending for a title in that league.

the NL Central blows the entire AL away.

yeah well heart & confidence isn't leading them to a championship this year.

440726[/snapback]

And it didn't help the Marlins last year? :banghead Just shutup you annoying ungrateful excuse for a baseball fan.

440729[/snapback]

the freaking marlins team from last year was WORLDS BETTER than the damn devil rays this year you IDIOT.

go get that in your head.

compare the line ups.

Guest marlins02

Ok Dontrelle, maybe that your a fish fan just starting now, you don't understand what it was like for us to even approach .500. You have no respect.

440725[/snapback]

bingo, the dude doesnt know what it was like watching this team lose for so many years and doesnt really understand how excited we were last year just to be in the playoff race and therefore he doesnt respect the rays amazing turnaround. who cares if they dont make the playoffs, for them to be in the position there at now after their start and history is an amazing accomplishment.

Guest Juanky

440726[/snapback]

And it didn't help the Marlins last year? :banghead Just shutup you annoying ungrateful excuse for a baseball fan.

440729[/snapback]

the freaking marlins team from last year was WORLDS BETTER than the damn devil rays this year you IDIOT.

compare the line ups.

440733[/snapback]

Was It?

At the time.....

A blazing fast CF

A great hitting 3B

An underrated pitching staff

Defensive ability in the OF that took away runs from hitters

Smallball with speed at the top of the lineup giving people fits

I see alot of similarities

And they have a much better pen than we had last season.

Guest Juanky

red sox win the wildcard > devil rays win the wildcard

get realistic here people. they had an incredible win streak, to just get them to .500! and they play in a death hole division with the yankees and red sox.

i will sell my soul if they make the playoffs

440730[/snapback]

Hey, I'm a big Sox fan. 100% Fish but I've been rooting for the Sox all my life thanks to my abuelo and my fam's Ted Williams connection. However.....

Don't be shocked if the Sawx miss the Show this season.

440726[/snapback]

440729[/snapback]

compare the line ups.

440733[/snapback]

Ok lets go idiot.

Crawford vs. Conine/Hollandsworth-Crawford has adv for sheer speed and hitting

Huff vs. Lowell- Again washout as Both are great hitters and defensively the adv is too Lowell

Pudge vs. Hall/Fordyce- Pudge since he is a HOF

Baldelli vs. Pierre- Washout, no questions asked.

Jose Cruz Jr. vs Miguel Cabrera/Juan Encarnacion-Defense is close and offense the adv to the Marlins but Cruz has swung the bat well this year

Lugo vs. Gonzalez- Both are great defensively and are streaky hitters. Washout.

Sanchez vs. Castillo-Castillo for his hitting and defense win this one

Martinez/McGriff vs. Lee- Lee wins for defense and hitting.

Marlins SR vs. Rays SR- Marlins win here.

Marlins BP vs Rays BP- Rays BP anyday thank you goodnight.

Preatty damn close if you ask me.

440726[/snapback]

440729[/snapback]

compare the line ups.

440733[/snapback]

Was It?

At the time.....

A blazing fast CF

A great hitting 3B

An underrated pitching staff

Defensive ability in the OF that took away runs from hitters

Smallball with speed at the top of the lineup giving people fits

I see alot of similarities

And they have a much better pen than we had last season.

440739[/snapback]

I don't think they could do as well as we did in the playoffs, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if they made the playoffs, if the Sox keep playing like crap.

440725[/snapback]

bingo, the dude doesnt know what it was like watching this team lose for so many years and doesnt really understand how excited we were last year just to be in the playoff race and therefore he doesnt respect the rays amazing turnaround. who cares if they dont make the playoffs, for them to be in the position there at now after their start and history is an amazing accomplishment.

440736[/snapback]

Thank you Marlins02. Go back to your bandwagon hole Dontrelle. Shouldn't you be watching the Yankees in Connecticut?