Another Yankee in the All-Star Game

actually, pedro did get an invite before vaz:

07/09/2004 12:53 AM ET

Martinez declines All-Star invite

By Ian Browne / MLB.com

BOSTON -- Some would argue that Red Sox ace Pedro Martinez deserved to be an All-Star for the seventh time in his career. Though he was initially not selected when the team was announced on Sunday, it turns out he had a chance to go to Houston.

With A's right-hander Tim Hudson on the disabled list with a strained oblique muscle, Martinez was invited to take the vacant spot.

However, Martinez politely declined the invitation.

"They told me today, it was just too late," said Martinez. "I would have loved to do it, but I had already made plans. I would have loved to go."

Martinez indicated after his victory Tuesday night that he was likely to spend the All-Star break resting in his native land, the Dominican Republic.

The three-time Cy Young Award winner is 9-3 with a 3.67 ERA. He is third in the American League with 112 strikeouts.

When Martinez decided not to take Hudson's spot, the honor went to Yankee starter Javier Vazquez.

American League All-Star manager Joe Torre instructed Major League Baseball to use the player balloting to determine which players should serve as replacements for those who couldn't go because of injury.

"Pedro was the next one on the list," said Torre. "And evidently, when he didn't make it initially, he made plans to do other things. By the time he was asked, he already had made plans for the break."

Martinez understood the fact he didn't make the original team.

"I've been there [six] times," Martinez said. "There's a lot of people to choose. A lot of people are having great years. To me, it's not a big deal."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb...r2004&fext=.jsp

Of course it would kill Torre to put a more deserving Pedro in.?? :thumbup

448384[/snapback]

vaz is having a better season

448416[/snapback]

theres no question pedro deserved to go before vaz, and theres no question pedro was having a better season, too.

his ERA is a hair worse than vaz, despite pitching in quite a hitters park (fenway). his won/loss record is also better despite being on a worse team....

that said, westbrook and even radke probably deserved it more than vaz.

Pedro is better than Vasquez, whoever says else is a moron and/or a homer.

Pedro puts fear into hitters and can strike out the best of them.

Pedro was awful at the start of this year and after fixing a mechanic problem has been superb.

Im semi-glad he turned down the invite because I would like him to take the complete rest.

Oh I agree, Pedro is still the best pitcher in the game and anyone who does not think that is as dumb as some Red Sox posters I know.

However, All Star appearances do not reward pass performances or hypotheticals (like who would you rather pitch game 7 of the world series, Pedro or Vazquez and ect.) It is about stats...that stats are clearly in Vazquez's favor, case closed.

Oh I agree, Pedro is still the best pitcher in the game and anyone who does not think that is as dumb as some Red Sox posters I know.

However, All Star appearances do not reward pass performances or hypotheticals (like who would you rather pitch game 7 of the world series, Pedro or Vazquez and ect.) It is about stats...that stats are clearly in Vazquez's favor, case closed.

448616[/snapback]

I applaud you for finally being rational with me.