Marlins Missing Millar

AJBurnett34

I knew it, they were going to regret trading Millar who is now having an All-Star season. Check this Article out....

ARLINGTON, Texas - The hole is as glaring as any in the majors, so it was no surprise Sunday when manager Jack McKeon talked about the Marlins' biggest need.

''We don't have the kind of offensive team they have,'' he said, referring to the Texas Rangers. ``When they fall behind, they've got three or four home run hitters to get them back in a game. We have to scrap and scratch for our runs.

``One consistent hitter in the middle would make a difference. That's what we need most. I'm not even talking about a big home run hitter. Just a guy who can hit 10 to 15 home runs, but a guy who will get the ground ball and get the sacrifice fly. We need that consistent guy in the middle to drive in runs.

``We've got [Mike Lowell], and he's got [21] home runs. But we need a consistent guy in the middle [to go along with Lowell] to get the run in.''

No one mentioned names, but the missing link that defines the Marlins can be summed up in two words: Kevin Millar.

As the season progresses, the Marlins' failure to bring back Millar haunts them more. Instead, they signed free agent Todd Hollandsworth to play left field, and the results -- or lack thereof -- are telling.

Hollandsworth started Sunday and went 0 for 5 after taking a couple of days off. McKeon wanted to give him a break, but it didn't seem to help.

''Sometimes a couple of days off helps a guy to relax, helps him mentally,'' McKeon said. ``I wish I knew what the problem was.''

Hollandsworth hasn't been much of a run-producer all season, driving in 14 runs in 53 games. To put that in perspective -- leadoff hitter Juan Pierre -- a singles hitter who bats behind the pitcher, has driven in 16.

''Our pitching and our defense has put us in a position to win just about any game if we get the hitting,'' McKeon said.

Hollandsworth, batting .256, has struggled mightily of late: He's batting .067 in June (2 for 30).

The biggest issue surrounding Hollandsworth has been his inability to drive in runs when they're needed most. After leaving four runners stranded Sunday, Hollandsworth is batting .170 (8 for 47) with runners in scoring position. In close and late situations -- tied or one-run games through six innings -- Hollandsworth is batting .107 (3 for 28) with no RBI.

Those numbers are critical because Hollandsworth plays left field -- generally a power-hitting, run-producing position. In effect, he has taken the place of Cliff Floyd, who was traded last July, and Millar, who -- after being sold to a Japanese team during the winter -- landed in Boston, where he has quickly become a fan favorite.

Millar is batting .306 with 10 home runs and 45 RBI. The only Marlin with more RBI is Lowell (57). Millar is batting .359 (23 for 64) with runners in scoring position, but that's not news to Marlins fans who remember the scruffy Millar as one of the team's best clutch hitters.

Florida rationalizes letting Millar go because the club took money from the Japan transaction and signed pitcher Mark Redman, who came over from Detroit in a trade.

To be sure, Redman has been a steady force on a pitching staff ravaged by injuries. The left-hander is 5-2 with a 2.80 ERA.

But the Marlins open a seven-game homestand tonight against the Mets, and they will be reminded just how much they miss Floyd, who has 13 homers and 39 RBI.

On June 27, the Marlins open a three-game series at Boston, where the differences between Millar and Hollandsworth will be evident on the field.

Link

Good article, but why would they say Holly has taken the place of Cliff Floyd? Juan Encarnacion is taking Floyd's place. If you want to make the point that Millar is outhitting Hollandsworth, that's pretty obvious. But except for having a good lefty bat in the middle of the lineup, Juan's not doing bad at all.

Floyd - .276, 13 homers and 39 RBIs

Juan - .283, 10 homers and 44 RBIs

plus he's faster, got a better arm, cheaper. (at least for now...)

but this one hurts:

Millar .306, 10 homers and 45 RBIs

Holly .256, 2 homers and 14 RBIs

I think we can safely say that the move for Hollandsworth has not worked out. Heck, Banks has more RBIs in 100 fewer at-bats. I think Al Martin would even have better numbers. For whatever reason, Todd's in a terrible funk and just looks lost up there. I wish he'd snap out of it. He's not great obviously but he's not this bad either.

It's more of the same from the media - don't support this team, don't bother to go to games. After watching all three Sunday night local sports programs and watching each one give the Marlins maybe 30 seconds, with no comments on their just taking two of three from the Brewers and Rangers, it continues to be obvious that the media's philosophy is "if you can't say something bad about the Marlins don't say anything at all."

Juan E. is the replacement for Floyd, not Hollandsworth, but when Phillips was writing this story the comparison didn't work so he simply rewrote history. I'm not being an apologist for signing Hollandsworth, it hasn't worked out and not helped the team, but to minimize Redman's contribution was just plain bad journalism, the norm at the Herald.

When Juan Encarncion was brought in he was brought in with the express purpose of being the replacement for Cliff Floyd. Last year, for approximately 80 games, Millar played left and Juan in right, that's the facts. To now rewrite history now, purely for the purpose of damning the team in the eyes of south florida baseball fans, is the kind of thing the Herald is famous for. End of story.

- 30 -

whatever, the fact that he doesn't bother mentioning Encarnacion at all in the article is pathetic.

and I'd like to add another point on the article:

from McKeon``One consistent hitter in the middle would make a difference. That's what we need most. I'm not even talking about a big home run hitter. Just a guy who can hit 10 to 15 home runs, but a guy who will get the ground ball and get the sacrifice fly. We need that consistent guy in the middle to drive in runs.? ``We've got [Mike Lowell], and he's got [21] home runs. But we need a consistent guy in the middle [to go along with Lowell] to get the run in.''

No one mentioned names, but the missing link that defines the Marlins can be summed up in two words: Kevin Millar.

The statement is a clear admission that Pudge hasn't been doing the job, and that Lee has not come through in big spots.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.