Prior leaves game in second inning with sore elbow

Prior leaves game in second inning with sore elbow

Mark Prior left Thursday's game against the Brewers in the second inning with discomfort in his right elbow. Prior, who missed the first two months of the season with a sore right Achilles' tendon, was making just eighth start of the season. Glendon Rusch came on in long relief for the Cubs, who opened the second half of the season seven games behind the Cardinals in the NL Central.

CHICAGO (AP) -- Chicago Cubs right-hander Mark Prior left Thursday night's game against the Milwaukee Brewers in the second inning with discomfort in his right elbow.

Prior, who missed the first two months of the season with a sore right Achilles' tendon and sore right elbow, was making just eighth start of the season. He came off the disabled list June 4.

With one out in the second, Prior got Milwaukee's Chad Moeller to hit a grounder to first baseman Derrek Lee. Prior started off the mound to go to first before Lee made the play unassisted.

Trainer Dave Groeschner and pitching coach Admin Rothschild quickly went to the mound and consulted with Prior before Glendon Rusch was called in from the bullpen.

Prior gave up one hit and a run, on Geoff Jenkins' sacrifice fly in the first inning. He threw 30 pitches in a long first inning and six more in the second before leaving.

The Cubs have been hit hard by injuries this season. Prior, Kerry Wood, Sammy Sosa, Alex Gonzalez, Todd Hollandsworth, Kent Mercker, Mike Remlinger, Mark Grudzielanek, Todd Wellemeyer and Joe Borowski have all been sidelined at some point this season. Third baseman Aramis Ramirez has been out since July 2 with a groin strain.

Prior was 18-6 last season, including 10-1 during the Cubs' run to the playoffs. He was 2-2 this season before Thursday night's start.

Prior, 23, has been on the disabled list in each of his three major league seasons. He hurt his left hamstring running the bases in 2002 and bruised a shoulder last season in a collision on the bases with Atlanta second baseman Marcus Giles.

(I was watching the game since my Cardinals were well ahead and thought to myself, here the Cubs go again. Another injury, another excuse. Interesting indeed though. I am actually licking my chomps over this because once again the Cardsshould take advantage of the Cubs injuries.. I love it. Even though I wish the Cubs were healthy so they could beat em when "healthy" :p )