Gammons on the 6PM Sportscenter

He says Murphy, but I hope not. It wouldnt be that bad of a deal - Redman and Stokes for Neu and Finley - but I want to keep Murphy around if we are going to end up losing Pavano or even Penny in the near future.

475702[/snapback]

I wouldnt really think of it like that

because Murphy is more valuable to us than Redman, especially because he would be cheap

I rather acquire Walker than 1 year rental Finley.I'm that big on Choi and I would like to see Stokes continue develop in Marlins farm system instead of trading him for 1 year rental.

If you have to include Stokes in a potential deal to Rockies than I don't mind.

475696[/snapback]

The very beauty of the Gammons rumor is that Finley is a rental. In trading him to the Fish they give themselves the best chance of re-signing him for 2005.

I'll gladly give up Jason "really, really, someday really I'll be a major leaguer" Stokes although I'm conflicted on Murphy, if you're the Marlins you have to make the deal.

The maybe we can set our sights on a catcher.

I suspect getting Finley first became the priority because of the Diamondback's were driving the bus and so their needs and timetable took at be addressed if the Fish wanted to get the deal done. Hopefully now we get the rest of what needs to be done accomplished.

If Gammons is correct (and its a big IF) this will really deflate the Phils just in time for their series at the Pro.

I rather acquire Walker than 1 year rental Finley.I'm that big on Choi and I would like to see Stokes continue develop in Marlins farm system instead of trading him for 1 year rental.

475696[/snapback]

The very beauty of the Gammons rumor is that Finley is a rental. In trading him to the Fish they give themselves the best chance of re-signing him for 2005.

I'll gladly give up Jason "really, really, someday really I'll be a major leaguer" Stokes although I'm conflicted on Murphy, if you're the Marlins you have to make the deal.

I suspect getting Finley first became the priority because of the Diamondback's were driving the bus and so their needs and timetable took at be addressed if the Fish wanted to get the deal done. Hopefully now we get the rest of what needs to be done accomplished.

If Gammons is correct (and its a big IF) this will really deflate the Phils just in time for their series at the Pro.

475713[/snapback]

I'm not sure if the Marlins will be his first choice since he prefers the west coast.

More than likely, Finley would re-sign with the D-Backs. And we would have given up Stokes and Murphy for a 2 month rental. I dont like that idea too much. Especially for Finley who I think would give us that much of an upgrade. Because the next problem is, what do you do with Conine?

A little Finley tidbit from today's Colorado/Diamondbacks game from YahooBaseball:

"Colorado's Jason Jennings didn't allow a hit until Steve Finley singled with one out in the sixth innings. Finley doubled off Jennings leading off the eighth and scored on a looping single by Chad Tracy that fell in front of left fielder Matt Holliday. "

475696[/snapback]

475713[/snapback]

OK, follow my line of thinking here:

These 5 prospects will get us "impact players," which I define as a player who will come in, convincingly send one of our bubble players to the bench or into a platoon situation (Conine). They are Hermida, Bazardo, Stokes, Murphy, and Scott Olsen, with an honorable mention to Eric Reed. Just for the sake of over simplification, let's assume that we get Steve "glorified platoon-player" Finley for Stokes and Murphy. That's two of the five gone, Beinfest has already deemed Hermida and Olsen untouchable, and Bazardo is apparantly untouchable too, so our heavy lifting is done, meaning that we have a lineup of:

Pierre

Castillo

Cabrera

Lowell

Finley

Choi/Conine

Gonzalez

Catcher

which, I don't think is good enough to convincingly say we'd win the division. We'd still need to come up with one, maybe two more moves (bullpen help, which is a must...and a catcher), neither of which will come cheap, and considering that we've already depleted our stock of tradeable high-end prospects to get Finley, it would be a waste of time to make any of those secondary moves simply because they wouldn't be a convincing upgrade over what we have.

I agree that the beauty of the move is that we just may completely deflate the Phillies in nabbing the guy they pegged as their #1 offensive target.

But is it worth giving up so much for an assured 2 month rental (Uggie's price was tolerable because there was a slight possibility we'd resign him) who doesn't completely right all that's wrong. Yes it's a step in the right direction, but after this weekend, I think we'd have to blow up the farm system to right all that's wrong with this team.

tough call....

Even IF the Marlins front office is convinced that Choi will be our 1B for the coming years, Jason Stokes and Bill Murphy are pretty big pieces to trade for a 1/2 year rental. If Conine doesn't turn things around, we'll be right back with the same problem next year when Finley goes elsewhere. I'd especially hate to part with Bill Murphy, who as jonnylons mentioned could be a part of this rotation in the future when Penny or Pavano become too expensive to sign.

That being said, I supported the moves last season that cost us plenty of prospects, including Adrian Gonzalez, Don Levinski, Denny Bautista, Ryan Snare, etc, so it would probably be hypocritical for me to criticize this one. I'm on board for getting Finley, I'd just be more comfortable if BOTH these prospects weren't included...

The success of this franchise (at least in its current state) is tied to being able to make use of young cheap talent, & to stay competitive for the future we may need to take advantage of some of these prospects.

Just have to make sure which are the right prospects to keep & which are right to move...

....and this is our chance

we have all 5 horses healthy(for now *knocks on wood) and maybe all we need is one little spark by Finley(or whoever)

this division is steal real close and a good week here could put us back within a game or 2

I say make the move...... then hold your breath

we have all 5 horses healthy(for now *knocks on wood) and maybe all we need is one little spark by Finley(or whoever)

this division is steal real close and a good week here could put us back within a game or 2

475880[/snapback]

man...if Walker didn't have that big contract, I would go with him, Finley is 39, what if he turns out to be another Conine, remember last year's Conine? he was hitting much better than this year, so what if we get Finley he may "cool down" next year, or not even do good with us the rest of the year.

Also, another problem with Walker is that he gets injured.. But I still think Walker would be better for us, i see it as a Bonds, he is old but you know he can still hit the ball. but again the big problems are money and injuries.

475880[/snapback]

That's the mentality that we had last year...I don't think there's enough of a cowboy mentality running through the front office this year.

Unless we decide to spend in the offseason and keep Pavano and Penny, we're going to need Murphy to potentially plug the hole. I'm not attached to Murphy, I'm just not overwhelmed by Finley.

I've said it before, I have doubts that Stokes will even make it to the big leagues. He could very well be just another Rob Stratton. As for Murphy, despite what everyone thinks on this board he is not having a terrific season. He's having a solid season but nothing spectacular. I have my doubts that he'll be ready for the bigs next season.

I think if all things were equal, Admin Walker is the better option. Unfortunately all things are not equal. His contract is a giant obstacle, not to mention his injury problems lately.

He's come back nicely though this year. Batting .333 in July with a whopping 1.200 OPS.

Finley's having a good season but an awful July, he seems to be a hot-&-cold hitter. (how's a .208 RISP average sound?)

I'll take either at this point. The team needs a spark.

losing stokes is no big deal...he will be blocked by choi anyways

sending stokes away is similar to what we did with valdez (they werent going to be in our future anyways)

next season the only things we will need from the farm are one starter (assuming we resign pavano) and catcher

Our best bet might be to send Penny away to someone like Texas for some pitching prospects....(but then we obviously have no 5th starter for this season)

Penny seems like hes on the decline

Penny seems like hes on the decline

475950[/snapback]

Im gonna disagree with you 100%

I think he is gonna get bettter with age

475961[/snapback]

i think so too

i guess what i meant is this season...out of our 5 starters he would be best to trade

we clearly arent going to sign him next season, he should command more than pavano i think