Ricky's agent says he might be back

Shaq-Man

from the washington post...

R. Williams's Agent: Exit May Not Last

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, July 26, 2004; Page D01

While the Miami Dolphins were desperately seeking help at tailback, two days after being informed by Ricky Williams that he would retire, Williams's agent said yesterday that the running back's abrupt departure from the sport could be followed by an abrupt return at some point.

"Playing football -- and, especially, playing running back -- is not a job for the weak of heart or the unmotivated," Leigh Steinberg said by telephone. "For whatever reason, he's just lost his motivation. Whether it's temporary or permanent remains to be seen. . . . The timing was unfortunate. It's not contractual. It's Ricky. He's an American original."

Williams, 27, has rushed for 6,354 yards in five seasons since the New Orleans Saints traded eight draft choices to the Washington Redskins in 1999 for the right to select the Heisman Trophy winner out of the University of Texas with the fifth overall pick. He has run for 3,225 yards in two seasons since the Dolphins obtained him in a trade with New Orleans that ultimately cost Miami two first-round draft picks, and he potentially is walking away from a contract that would pay him salaries of $3.7 million in each of the next two seasons and $3.5 million in 2006.

Dolphins Coach Dave Wannstedt said during an afternoon news conference he had been "totally surprised" by Williams's decision, and added: "My main thought process was to try to get Ricky to come back here to talk about this thing and try to get this thing back on track. He obviously chose to go another direction. . . . If he's going to change his mind, anything like that, it would have to be initiated on his part. . . . He made his decision. He's got his reasons. Things happen, and you move forward.

"This is a game of passion. It takes a lot of time and a lot of commitment. For whatever reasons, he doesn't feel like he can make that commitment. I'm not going to judge."

Williams is on a trip to Japan but is scheduled to return to the Miami area in a few days. He informed Wannstedt of his retirement plans Friday and told the Miami Herald in a telephone interview Saturday that he would not change his mind.

The team was left with little chance to find a suitable replacement, with the last of the proven free agent tailbacks, Eddie George and Antowain Smith, having signed elsewhere last week. The Dolphins' options include free agents James Stewart, Trung Canidate and Stacey Mack. Canidate is considering undergoing foot surgery after his unsuccessful 2003 season with the Redskins.

The club could attempt to trade for an established tailback and could offer defensive end Adewale Ogunleye, the reigning AFC sack champion who has been in a contract dispute with the team and has said he won't report to training camp unless he receives a new, long-term deal. Or the Dolphins simply could turn to Williams's backup, Travis Minor, to be their featured runner in a season in which Wannstedt's job probably is on the line. In three NFL seasons, Minor has totaled 654 rushing yards.

The Dolphins' veteran players are scheduled to report to training camp Friday. The club could attempt to sue Williams to recover a prorated portion of his signing bonus for failing to fulfill the terms of his contract -- the approach that the Detroit Lions took when Barry Sanders abruptly left the sport. The Lions managed to force Sanders to repay some of the bonus money, but their tactics further inflamed the tense situation and Sanders resisted the team's repeated efforts to lure him back.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2004Jul25.html

Well if The Giants would have actually played it smart for once and went after Antwown Smith or another back, I wouldn't mind giving the back with no hands(Barber) for the right place, but that's not the case.

The Patriots fix their biggest hole from last year which was the running back(linebacker is not great because Brusci is horrible).

The Dolphins lose their biggest gain in running back.

I'm happy for him in the sense that this is what he supposedly wants, I mean no one should have to do something if their heart's not into it and they just don't have the passion for it. If he wants to go climb mountains, take pictures of waterfalls, and dress up in wedding dresses for god sakes then more power to him but he needs to know how to choose better freakin timing. That's the only thing that makes me so mad.

But the fact that he acted so motivated and told Wanny that he wants to try his hardest to win a Superbowl next season and then turns around and says he's done is what makes him such an ass.

If he comes back, it's gonna look idiotic. Make up your mind, either you wanna play or you don't.

Ricky doesn't want to get tested for drug use again that's why he retired. The guy smoked and well he doesn't want it to come out like it did in march or may .. That's my take on it, and please don't hate, it's my opinion and it makes me get on with him not being with the phins..

LETS SAVE AAALL OUR MONEY AND AFTER THIS SEASON SIGN EDGERIN JAMES@!

I'd rather sign a bad ass QB if Feeler and Fielder don't work out.

But, The Edge is still awsome, he's definetly better than Minor, as of now, i say we let Minor have his shot, if he does well...then, if he is half the back Ricky was, we should be in ok shape..

I'm happy for him in the sense that this is what he supposedly wants, I mean no one should have to do something if their heart's not into it and they just don't have the passion for it. If he wants to go climb mountains, take pictures of waterfalls, and dress up in wedding dresses for god sakes then more power to him but he needs to know how to choose better freakin timing. That's the only thing that makes me so mad.

But the fact that he acted so motivated and told Wanny that he wants to try his hardest to win a Superbowl next season and then turns around and says he's done is what makes him such an ass.

If he comes back, it's gonna look idiotic. Make up your mind, either you wanna play or you don't.

477828[/snapback]

Exactly. Great post heatgrl.

He coulda done this a month ago and things would've been somewhat better.