My Conversation with Mike Berardino

Wild Card

Josh: Please tell me that any deal involving Paul Lo Duca will not be happening. I just need some assurance

Mike: It's all too fluid to make any assurances.

Josh: Can you help assure my fear of Hee Seop Choi leaving Florida?

Mike: I can't do it.

Josh: Can I ask you one more question? Is a deal for Walker or Dunn/Riedling lost in all of this Dodger/Diamondback talk?

Mike: Don't know yet. Still have 11 hours til deadline. Enjoy the rumor fest.

Josh: Thank you Mr. Berardino, have a nice, and I'm sure busy day.

Form your own opinions.

:plain

Josh: And if you know Beinfest's personal number, please tell him to do anything BUT the rumored Dodger deal. Address it from all concerned Marlin fans. Thank you and good day.

Mike: No problem.

There you go, folks.

If it's Penny for Lo Duca and Ishii. That's a no brainer you have to do it.

but if the deal involves Choi, I would seriously be pissed.

482895[/snapback]

Not a no-brainer in my mind. A top line starter for the future in exchange for a light-hitting catcher and a starter with more walks than K's, and bad home/away splits? I'd pass. But hey, that's just me.

If it's Penny for Lo Duca and Ishii. That's a no brainer you have to do it.

482895[/snapback]

I agree completely. I think the Lo Duca/Ishii trade is what Beinfest approached the Dodgers with, and they countered with a deal involving Encarnacion. Then the Marlins switched Ishii with Mota, the Dodgers countering with Choi.

Josh: And if you know Beinfest's personal number, please tell him to do anything BUT the rumored Dodger deal. Address it from all concerned Marlin fans. Thank you and good day.

Mike: No problem.

There you go, folks.

482891[/snapback]

Josh, he is just humoring you.

If it's Penny for Lo Duca and Ishii.? That's a no brainer you have to do it.

482895[/snapback]

Not a no-brainer in my mind. A top line starter for the future in exchange for a light-hitting catcher and a starter with more walks than K's, and bad home/away splits? I'd pass. But hey, that's just me.

482902[/snapback]

That "light-hitting" catcher is 100% better than what we've currently got. Penny will not be with this team next year. Ishii is a solid fifth starter and has a reasonable salary.

482895[/snapback]

482902[/snapback]

That "light-hitting" catcher is 100% better than what we've currently got. Penny will not be with this team next year. Ishii is a solid fifth starter and has a reasonable salary.

482910[/snapback]

Berardino says Lo Duca could command $8 mil in the off-season this year, same as Penny. How do we afford him and not Penny?

482895[/snapback]

482902[/snapback]

482910[/snapback]

Berardino says Lo Duca could command $8 mil in the off-season this year, same as Penny. How do we afford him and not Penny?

482914[/snapback]

Lo Duca isn't going to make anything near that. He might not make HALF that.

482895[/snapback]

482902[/snapback]

482910[/snapback]

482914[/snapback]

we don't, Lo Duca and Ishii give us a better chance to win this year than Penny does alone. Willingham will be our starting catcher next year. Plus we're getting a capable major league pitcher that we can afford next year.

Josh: Please tell me that any deal involving Paul Lo Duca will not be happening. I just need some assurance

Josh: Can I ask you one more question? Is a deal for Walker or Dunn/Riedling lost in all of this Dodger/Diamondback talk?

Form your own opinions.

482850[/snapback]

so in other words, he knows jackshit right now... the Marlins are clearly keeping him out of the loop

482895[/snapback]

482902[/snapback]

482910[/snapback]

482914[/snapback]

482919[/snapback]

Why would he say that then? Is he THAT naive to the business of baseball that he would get the number wrong by THAT much?

Form your own opinions.

482850[/snapback]

so in other words, he knows jackshit right now... the Marlins are clearly keeping him out of the loop

482921[/snapback]

Either that or he doesn't want the story he plans on breaking to come out now.

482895[/snapback]

482902[/snapback]

482910[/snapback]

482914[/snapback]

482919[/snapback]

Why would he say that then? Is he THAT naive to the business of baseball that he would get the number wrong by THAT much?

482925[/snapback]

So you think an old underproducing catcher is going to make the same amount as the Marlins two number one starters (both 28-years-old or under) could project? Yea, OK.

Lo Duca would probably get a 3-year deal $5-6 million a year.

482941[/snapback]

Any team that pays more than $3 Million a year for Lo Duca is ridiculous.

482959[/snapback]

Lo Duca is at least 1 of the top 10 overall catchers in this league. He'll get at least $5 million.

482971[/snapback]

OK, and catcher is such a deep position, right? :plain

He won't make $5 Mill a year and I will bet you $20 he won't.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.