Trade works for us in a lot of ways. . . ..

vinivedivichi

First off, losing Penny is gonna hurt us unless we can get another starter. We don't need a great starter, but we have to get something. Assuminig we do get somebody I think this trade helps us a lot.

Loduca Fills a huge hole for us. Everything he gives us will be extra because we have gotten absolutely nothing from our catcher position so far this year. This guy is such a solid hitter and he has great intangibles. I think you guys don't know how good he is, but you'll find out soon. Take a look at the Dodger boards and see how mad everyone is. He was basically the Dodgers' Mike Lowell. He'll fit perfectly into the 3 hole and give us a damn good 1-5. Everybody moves a spot down in the lineup which is huge. Conine is a weak 5 hitter, but decent 6. Encarnacion and Gonzo rounding out the lineup gives us a whole new look. We go from having 3 easy outs(as in when in tough situations easy to pitch) to just 1, and he will be our 8 hitter. I think this is a HUGE offensive upgrade.

Moto is a dominant setup man which, like our offensive addition, allows everyone in the pen to move down a notch. If we have a lead after 7 we are gonna win almost every time. That is huge for us as well.

I hate to give up Choi as I think he will grow into a pretty good all around hitter, but it opens the door for Stokes who now has got to be considered as untouchable as we have. We were not gonna be able to keep Penny and Pavano this offseason, so hopefully now we will have more money to try and keep Pavano. If we can get another starter without giving up Stokes I think we are gonna be tough to beat down the stretch.

getting Lo Duca is fine & all, but it's a rental. if his salary doubles in arby we sure as hell aren't affording him. nor can i see any reason why we'd keep encarnacion around at 4 million for less than average production from a corner outfielder.

mota will stick around, so if we fall short this season we've parted with Penny & Choi and are left with Guillermo Mota.

Redmond is a solid back-up catcher who is a career .286 hitter himself.

I believe Red's lack of production is primarily due to being over-used after the Castro debacle.

Having LoDuca catch 4-5 times a week and Red twice could give both of them the rest they need to be effective in the 2nd half.

getting Lo Duca is fine & all, but it's a rental. if his salary doubles in arby we sure as hell aren't affording him. nor can i see any reason why we'd keep encarnacion around at 4 million for less than average production from a corner outfielder.

mota will stick around, so if we fall short this season we've parted with Penny & Choi and are left with Guillermo Mota.

485575[/snapback]

Penny is likely gone anyway after this season. So essentially we are left with a Choi for Mota trade..... so we get the best deal.

Also, we will have a shot at signing Lo Duca who is more affordable than Pudge or Javy or Kendall or other names mentioned in the past.

Using your same logic on Penny would mean that we would lose him after this season just like we would Loduca.

Choi hurts long term in that most of us agree he will develop nicely, but it provides an opening long term for out pure power hitting first basemen prospect Stokes. Short term it is advantage us as Encarnacion is a more proven and tougher hitter at this stage.

We also gain a dominating setup man who will be a very nice bridge to Benitez, how great will it be to have a few shreds of fingernails left before Benitez gets into the game?

Our offense has a whole new look now, Loduca and Encarnacion are gonna be a huge help IMO.

getting Lo Duca is fine & all, but it's a rental.? if his salary doubles in arby we sure as hell aren't affording him.? nor can i see any reason why we'd keep encarnacion around at 4 million for less than average production from a corner outfielder.

485575[/snapback]

Penny is likely gone anyway after this season. So essentially we are left with a Choi for Mota trade..... so we get the best deal.

Also, we will have a shot at signing Lo Duca who is more affordable than Pudge or Javy or Kendall or other names mentioned in the past.

485592[/snapback]

Yes thank you I obviously realize Penny was gone after the season, but the question is what did we acquire for what most teams view as a top of the rotation starter?

The answer is a couple of rentals, albeit good ones. Mota is all we'll have to show for it after the season. L.A. can afford to re-sign Penny if they wish (if he's not dealt to Zona) plus they have Choi at a bargain for years.

Guest Moneyball

i went to the game and thought a lot about the trade and the more i thought of it the more i liked it. then i remembered penny was leaving, when i went to take a piss in the club level restroom i remember boog saying a fifth starter will only be used 5 or six times, now i was sold. during the 8th i was talking to a guy who mentioned the Admin walker for enc, now i loved the trade. with one trade the marlins plugged every major hole that we have been bitching about for months. then i said to my sister mr. beinfest is one smart bastard!!! this trade actually works. ladies and gentlemen i said this last year when ugueth was acquired. THE FLORIDA MARLINS HAVE THE PIECES IN PLACE TO GO TO THE WORLD SERIES.

485592[/snapback]

LoDuca will be gone next year. We won't offer him arbitration for fear of him getting $8M, and will not be able to bid on him once he hits the open market.

I've been thinking about the trade, and was completely against it. I mean yes Choi is good and he was probably in my top 3 favorite Marlins which is why I didn't like the deal at first. But this team went out and filled all the holes it needed. I mean Koch-Mota-Benitez is pretty damn good. That 5th starter could be a problem. Before the trade for Choi we all have to remember that Stokes was going to be the man. Assuming he isn't traded tomorrow then he will probably be the future first baseman.

This is my goal with the whole situation. Easley can put up similar numbers to Choi. And if he plays first 75% of the time then I would be happy. I know he is a small guy, but he is still pretty good offensively. Paul will play the catcher and first the rest of the time. So all of a sudden the bench looks much better with Juan and Redmond on the bench. But I dunno. I guess we will have to wait and see how it all goes

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.