Cabrera called up !

might as well dismantle the AAA club...seems like this organization doesnt use it anymore.

Like I said their's no need for it anymore.

The Fish are going to land on their face soon, Not everyone is special that they can go from AA to The Majors.

might as well dismantle the AAA club...seems like this organization doesnt use it anymore.

Like I said their's no need for it anymore.

The Fish are going to land on their face soon, Not everyone is special that they can go from AA to The Majors. unless he is the next Pujols.... :)

The Southern League is very tough competition, not much different from AAA. The Marlins want him up now, and theres no need to have him make an adjsutment to playing in Albuquerque and then force him to make another transition to the majors.

As for not using the AAA club, we have called up Levrault, Phelps, Borland, Alvarez, Wayne, Olsen, Neal, Nunez, and Allen from AAA. Obviously, some of those have worked out better than others, but the Marlins and many others feel Cabrera is special like Willis.

Or The Next Justin Wayne...

They can't make Cabrera come off The Bench. It's balls to the wall. This is either going to be Great for The Fish or Devastating.

Start him if he fails it's going to be a long road back to The Majors IMO...

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT! CABS IS A BIGGER PROSPECT THAN WILLIS WAS! HE IS THE TOP PROSPECT IN BASEBALL ANYWHERE PERIOD ACCORDING TO ESPN, BASEBALL AMERICA, MAJOR LEAGUE SCOUTS, AND MANY OTHER EXPERTS! HE HAS MANHANDLED THE FLORIDA STATE LEAGUE (WHO HAVE LARGE BALLPARKS AND SAME CONDITONS AS PPS) AND THEN TORE APART THE SOUTHERN LEAGUE! HE IS A SUPERSTAR.

**Southern League teams breathe sigh of relief. The horror is gone for now!

Not everyone is special that they can go from AA to The Majors.

Well they'd probably argue that Willis and Cabrera aren't "everyone". They're super-prospect guys. I'm not defending the moves, but I can't pretend I know when a guy is ready to come up. I think there's probably a point where you realize a guy is just dominating at his level and should be moved up. How much difference there is between AA and AAA I don't know. I'll leave that up to the coaches.

Thought you all might enjoy this Cabrera story

Cabrera story

(The link has a good pic of the kid)

Mudcats third baseman a 'special talent' for Marlins

By KARY BOOHER

[email protected]

06/19 2003

The question has been tossed at him several times already, and Carolina Mudcats third baseman Miguel Cabrera offers the typical response.

CARA EASTWOOD/The Jackson Sun - Carolina Mudcats third baseman Miguel Cabrera is the Florida Marlins' top prospect.

A smile. A chuckle. A slight shake of the head.

Yeah, well, doesn't he sense he is not too far from the big leagues?

"I don't know," Cabrera said Wednesday through an interpreter. "I just want to play good."

Play good? Cabrera, the 20-year-old top prospect in the Florida Marlins farm system, has played outstanding, so well in fact that the four-game series between the Diamond Jaxx and Carolina Mudcats this week at Pringles Park likely will be his only one in Jackson.

Signed for a Venezuela-record $1.9 million in 1999, Cabrera is on the threshold of the major leagues.

As the second half to the Southern League began Wednesday, Cabrera ranked in the top five of seven offensive statistical categories. His average was .365, second-best in the league, yet he led the league in RBIs (59), hits (95), doubles (28), extra-base hits (41) and slugging percentage (.612). He also has hit 10 homers.

Cabera led the league in batting average for the entire first half up until two weeks ago.

This from a guy who two years ago became the youngest player to play in the Futures Game, the All-Star week exhibition game that showcases the game's top prospects. This is his first year in Double-A.

"I'm surprised to a point," Cabrera said. "You can't take it easy yet. I know I'm capable. Everybody has high expectations every year, but I've been working hard."

Thing is, the Marlins have had to temper themselves about moving him to the big leagues, where Cabrera likely would get few at-bats because he'd have to sit behind Mike Lowell. That could change if Lowell is traded.

"We feel like he's close to ready," said Jim Fleming, the Marlins vice president of player development. "We feel like he can handle it. But it's been a matter of if we can get playing time for him."

Carolina hitting coach Matt Raleigh certainly has been impressed, mostly with Cabrera's ability to hit to all fields.

"He is a special talent. His strength is that he doesn't have many weaknesses," Raleigh said. "Most power hitters will struggle with off-speed (pitches). He doesn't. He can hit the slider. He has mini-slumps."