Sportsline.com: Marlins close to deal for Valdez

geemoney

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7541418

Marlins on verge of picking up Valdez from Padres

July 31, 2004

By Scott Miller

SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Moving to fill the growing void in their rotation, the Florida Marlins are on the verge of acquiring right-hander Ismael Valdez from the San Diego Padres.

The deal wasn't quite done 90 minutes before Saturday's 4 p.m. ET non-waivers trade deadline, but one official with knowledge of the talks said it was close. The Padres will receive a pitching prospect from the Marlins' Class A affiliate in Greensboro, N.C.

The Marlins were looking for a fifth starter even before they weakened their rotation by dealing Brad Penny to Los Angeles on Friday. Valdez is 9-6 with a 5.53 ERA for the Padres this season.

If Valdez goes, the Padres likely will move veteran left-hander Sterling Hitchcock into their rotation to replace him.

None of our Greensboro pitchers are doing well....my guess is Jon-Michael Nickerson in the deal.

486576[/snapback]

He's pitching in Jamestown.

486578[/snapback]

Is he? Damn...I went to Baseball America and saw his stats with Greensboro. Must've just got transferred not that long ago.

It all depends on which A prospect we give up. Valdez would be a solid addition to fill the void and he is capable of giving quality starts for the handful of games we have left for the #5 slot. But I dont want to see us give up anything significant for him - as that is not worth it. We can fish around for a #5 guy.

But an interesting deal, nonetheless. I like his ability to pitch. Also, the Padres are looking for the exit on this season already? Hmm...I wonder if they would deal Klesko...maybe we could get him to play RF for us....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.