Stugotz is to be GM of ESPN 790

CapeFish

This according to my sources. No word if Stugotz and Toast will return to the airwaves via 790 ESPN Radio.

Wiener AKA "Stugotz", will be in charge of hiring talent and making all on-air decisions for this new station.

I'd like to thank the DC Blog for this news.

No offense, but what does this have to do with the Marlins?

496178[/snapback]

He is the man who will be negotiating with the Marlins in any possible new radio contract on 790.

496181[/snapback]

Shouldn't this be in Entertainment?

496188[/snapback]

No, the reason I state this is because people on the forum wanted to know about 790 and ask me for updates.

Wiener AKA "Stugotz", will be in charge of hiring talent and making all on-air decisions for this new station.

The DC Blog

496198[/snapback]

You said that already..check your first post

496199[/snapback]

No, it was just confirmed that the GM will have those duties at the station.

Thanks Cape. Any idea of what the sked may be like?

I enjoy Stugotz and hope Dino Costa is on board too. If I am PM I'd want all local shows, but obviously that won't be the case. So here is my reccomendation for a lineup:

6-10 Mike & Mike (I wouldn't waste local talent against Howard Stern)

10-1 Rose and Defo - not a big fan of either. Would rather have Bob Page or Sedano.

1-4 Stugotz

4-7 Dino Costa

7 PTI on ESPN

7:30-1 Gamenight

1-6 All Night with Todd Wright

Thanks Cape. Any idea of what the sked may be like?

I enjoy Stugotz and hope Dino Costa is on board too. If I am PM I'd want all local shows, but obviously that won't be the case. So here is my reccomendation for a lineup:

6-10 Mike & Mike (I wouldn't waste local talent against Howard Stern)

10-1 Rose and Defo - not a big fan of either. Would rather have Bob Page or Sedano.

1-4 Stugotz

4-7 Dino Costa

7 PTI on ESPN

1-6 All Night with Todd Wright

497814[/snapback]

Dino says he is not optimistic they will hire him.

I expect...

6-10 Rose and DeFo

10-1 The Herd with Colin Cowherd (required by ESPN for new stations)

1-4 Dan Patrick (A requirement by ESPN Radio now)

4-7 Local Show

7 PTI

1-6 AllNight with Todd Wright

ESPN left WQAM for not airing Dan Patrick and Tony Kornheiser (now replaced by Colin Cowherd)

Posted on Fri, Aug. 06, 2004

SPORTS MEDIA

ESPN Radio 790 set to launch Sept. 1

'South Florida's Ticket' will return ESPN to the local airwaves for the first time since December, when its affiliation with WQAM 560 ended.

By CHRISTINA HOAG

choag@herald.com

ESPN is set to return to South Florida's radio scene on WAXY-AM 790 on Sept. 1 as the sports network continues its strategy of blanketing the airwaves in major markets across the country.

Primetime Media Group, which consists of five local businessmen, on Thursday announced the long-rumored launch of ESPN Radio 790 -- ''South Florida's Ticket'' -- marking the return of the powerhouse sports brand to South Florida. It has been absent from the local market since December, when the network ended its affiliation with WQAM 560.

''We're ready to change the way sports radio is looked at down here,'' said Kurt Murphy, chief financial officer of Primetime.

Analysts said 790's success will depend on the balance of local and national content.

''ESPN's got marquee names, but in a market like Miami you want to talk local,'' said Tom Taylor, editor of Inside Radio/M Street newsletter. ``You've got strong teams, interesting personalities and team owners. There's a lot going on to talk about.''

ESPN 790 is the latest move in a shuffle of South Florida's sports media scene.

Longtime sports radio leader WQAM-AM 560 of Miami, owned by Beasley Broadcasting of Naples, is now aiming at a wider audience with the irreverent Howard Stern and Neil Rogers shows.

''I'm not concerned about 790,'' said Greg Reed, vice president and general manager of WQAM. ``Sports radio is a tough business. Getting an audience is not easy; getting ratings is even harder. I understand these people who are starting the station are a bunch of radio novices, so it'll be even more difficult for them.''

Taylor noted that the timing is perfect to launch a sports venture, with the football and basketball seasons getting under way, the latter with new Heat superstar Shaquille O'Neal -- and WQAM's switch to Stern. ''If you're going to roll the dice, this is the time to do it,'' he said.

Primetime's principals, one of whom has a radio background, said they plan to win listeners with a programming formula that's heavy on local sports topics presented by local media personalities.

''There's room for more than one sports station,'' said Alan T. Brown, Primetime's vice president of communications. ``We know we have quality programming.''

POSSIBLE LAWSUIT

But the newest all-sports radio station is already embroiled in controversy.

Primetime could face a lawsuit by Foster Sports of Pompano Beach, which alleges that the group stole its business plan for a similar ESPN-WAXY deal.

Carl Foster, president of Foster Sports, which operates WFLL-AM The Fan 1400, said he had developed the project with two principals of Primetime Media more than a year ago.

''We didn't come to terms and it didn't go forward,'' he said. ``They took my business plan and put together another group of investors. This was my dream and my deal. Our lawyers are reviewing this.''

After the ESPN-WAXY deal soured, Foster went ahead with 1400 The Fan, which launched in May. This week, The Fan picked up the Fox Sports affiliation, which was open after Clear Channel switched its WRFX-AM 940 from Fox to liberal talk in June.

''We knew he was going to do this,'' Brown said. ``We have absolutely no comment.''

`VERY LOCAL STATION'

Primetime has already locked in several advertisers, Brown said, and plans to offer packages that will combine commercials with other marketing opportunities.

''We want the station to be heard and seen,'' said Scott Becher, Primetime's chief marketing officer. ``We plan on being a very, very local station.''

Joel Feinberg, chief executive and president of Capital Real Estate Group, and Jon ''Stugotz'' Weiner, a former host with Fox Sports Radio and WQAM, are the other principals in Primetime besides Becher, president of Sports & Sponsorships in Miami Beach, Brown, vice president of rbb Public Relations in Coral Gables, and Murphy, vice president of Capital Real Estate Group.

WAXY currently airs a hodgepodge of leased-time programming ranging from religious services to advice shows.

Under Primetime's agreement with station parent company Jefferson-Pilot Communications of Greensboro, N.C., Primetime can program the station and sell advertising, said Dennis Collins, senior vice president and general manager of Jefferson-Pilot in South Florida.

Ticket' debuts Sept. 1; Rose gets morning slot

By Sarah Talalay

Staff Writer

Posted August 6 2004

MIAMI ? South Florida's churning sports talk radio marketplace got a new entry Thursday, an ESPN affiliate based in Hollywood that will begin airing Sept. 1 on 790-AM.

Primetime Media Group, made up of five local business and sports marketing executives, struck deals with ESPN and Jefferson Pilot Communications, owner of WAXY (790-AM), to operate the station with a mix of ESPN programming and local sports talk. NBC-6 Sports Anchor and former Dolphin Joe Rose will host a morning show.

"There's a lack of decent sports radio stations in the area," said Joel Feinberg, CEO and president of Primetime Media Group and a local developer.

Feinberg, a 27-year-old millionaire who founded Capital Real Estate Group (CREG), helped unveil the new station during a news conference at the Orange Bowl, welcoming fans to tune at 6 a.m. Sept. 1, by singing the ESPN SportsCenter "dun, nuh, nah," theme.

His partners are sports radio veteran Jon "Stugotz" Weiner serving as the station's general manager; Sports & Sponsorships founder Scott Becher serving as chief marketing officer; sports public relations executive Alan Brown handling communications; and finance executive Kurt Murphy, who helped Feinberg launch CREG, as chief financial officer.

The lineup has not been finalized, but will include an afternoon show hosted by Miami Herald columnist and ESPN correspondent Dan Le Batard, and a weekly show with Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor. The station plans to pursue the broadcasting rights of local teams when their current contracts expire. The Marlins' contract with WQAM (560-AM) expires after this season; the Dolphins' and Panthers' contracts run through their upcoming seasons. The Heat's contract runs four more years on WIOD (610-AM).

The station dubbed "790 AM ESPN Radio, South Florida's Ticket," is adding to a crowded sports talk radio field that includes WQAM, WFLL (1400-AM) The Fan, based in Fort Lauderdale, and WEFL (760-AM), ESPN Radio in West Palm Beach.

Sports talk radio has become a soap opera this spring with the entry in May of 1400, which is heard mainly in Broward County and has had a revolving door of programming and talent; Fox Sports Radio's 940 switching to liberal talk radio last month; and lineup changes at WQAM, where Rose's morning show was bumped when the station announced Howard Stern will air in the morning beginning Aug. 16.

"It's very simple to me," said Rose. "I just want to do sports in the morning that's all. Good sports, bad sports, sports when I'm moody, when I'm goofy, when I'm stupid, like I am most days. I just want to have fun doing sports."

Rose promised fans coverage of all sports, including golf and NASCAR, which often get short-shrift on other stations.

"Every major market has at least one solid sports radio station," said Dennis Collins, Jefferson Pilot senior vice president and general manager. "We're seeing movement off 940, movement at 560. I think the timing for 790 couldn't be better."

Greg Reed, WQAM vice president and general manager, didn't expect the new station to have much luck competing with his, particularly because past competitors have failed.

"I'm sure this will be another futile effort," Reed said. "Every market where ESPN has gone up against a local program, they fail. They're syndicated and national and people want to hear about their local teams."

Carl Foster, general manager at 1400, said the ESPN station had been his idea, and that Feinberg and Becher had been helping him to arrange investors, but walked away when they couldn't meet WAXY's asking price. He eventually struck a radio deal with WFLL and secured some Fox Sports programming when 940 converted to liberal talk.

Becher declined to comment on Foster's claims.

Steve Politziner, general manager at ESPN 760, said he thinks the new station proves how successful his year-old station has been in capturing the Palm Beach County and Treasure Coast region. Brown said he expects the two ESPN stations to partner on some programming.

Sarah Talalay can be reached at stalalay@sun-sentinel.com

I just love how WQAM keeps putting out there that Shaq and the HEAT will help WQAM while WIOD is the HEAT flagship. I also love how they say ESPN Radio fails when WQAM's sister station here in Fort Myers is quite successful and is ESPN Radio with local shows in the morning and afternoon just like 790 will be.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.