Olsen has an unbelievable outing

farmer_fran

The Hammerheads had a double header today and they played 2 7 inning games.

In the 2nd game of the doubleheader Scott Olsen pitched a complete game 1-hitter, with 1 walk and 15 strikeouts. That's over 2 strikeouts per inning. This guy is gonna be good, I saw him in person and really impressed me, he's a strikeout machine.

Meanwhile, in Jamestown. Taylor Tankersley made his 2nd professional start and went 4 innings and gave up 1 hit and no runs while striking out 5 and he didn't allow a walk. This is how his line looks so far in his 2 appearances.

7 innings 1 hit 0 ER 0 BB 10 Ks. Not bad, it'll be interesting to see how fast the marlins choose to move him along.

some other minor league notes from today. The Albuquerque game hasn't concluded I'll add it when it finishes. The stats from Jupiter include both games.

Carolina lost 1-0

Jeff Fulchino 5.2 innings 7 hits 1 ER 4 BBs 5 Ks

Willingham 0-3 1 BB

Stokes 1-4

Jupiter won game 1 6-5 and won game 2 2-0.

Kevin Cave 2 innings 0 ER 0 hits 1 BB 0 Ks

Jimmy Demontel 1 perfect inning.

Robert Andino 1-7

Jeremy Hermida 1-5 BB

Lee Mitchell 3-6 2 3Bs

Chris Bass 2-4 2B 2 BBs

Greensboro lost 4-2

Tim Wood 5 innings 1 ER 4 hits 1 BB 5 Ks

Chris Resop 1 inning 0 hits 0 ER 2 Ks

Jai Miller 1-3 HR(10). Still a very dissapointing year for Miller, currently hitting .210.

Jamestown won 5-4

Matt Yourkin 1 inning 0 hits 0 ER 1 K. ERA now at 0.83.

Joe Pietro 2-5

Jon Fulton 2-4 2b

Nick Ewen 1-3 HR

Luis Alen 2-3

Scott Olson is good. Very good.

I suspect Tank may be with the club in September if they need another long reliever.

499969[/snapback]

Its Olsen and I sure hope they wouldn't call up Tankersley that quick. He's in short season A ball right now- a long way from the bigs.

When could we see some of these guys in the big show?

499965[/snapback]

Olsen will be at Carolina next year. I'd say he might be ready for the big leagues in 2006 at the earliest. It'll be interesting to see how fast Tank moves through our system, I really have no idea. If the marlins keep him as a starter I doubt we'll see him next year.

I suspect Tank may be with the club in September if they need another long reliever.

499969[/snapback]

WTF? We just drafted him. No way will he be recalled. We are trying to make the playoffs here. He needs to get innings in the minors.

499987[/snapback]

Wagner and Cordero were drafted last year and made it to the bigs...(i think)

499969[/snapback]

WTF? We just drafted him. No way will he be recalled. We are trying to make the playoffs here. He needs to get innings in the minors.

499987[/snapback]

499990[/snapback]

I know that. Because they're teams sucked! We are trying to win here

499969[/snapback]

499987[/snapback]

499990[/snapback]

The marlins have said that they are going to keep Vargas and Tankersley as starters. Whether that changes next year, we'll see, but as of right now I wouldn't expect to see Vargas or Tank here next year.

great news

the system has talent at every level hopefully some of these guys can make the jump and be in the mix for AAA or even MLB roster spots next spring training.

I still say Carolina will have a SICK rotation next season...

Your right Olson is unbelievable, he's got 131 K's in just 112.2 IP, the last player that posted numbers like that was Beckett. The Tank is getting it done too, so far no runs allowed in his first two games. Ollie could be in rotation in 06 and the Tank will probably start off next year at either Jupiter or Carolina. If all goes well with him we'll see him sometime late in 05.

Guest markotsay7

Info we all already knew from Baseball America Porpsect Report:

-Seattle RHP Felix Hernandez is back to the California League (and pitching well) despite holding his own in the Texas League -- we're efforting for details

-Marlins LHP Scott Olsen with an eye-popping line (Florida State)

-So far, pro hitters are 1-for-22 with 10 Ks facing Florida first-round pick Taylor Tankersley (New York-Penn)

-Angels SS Sean Rodriguez absolutely mashing in the Pioneer League

----------------  AAA Pacific Coast League ----------------  

Players                  ab  r  h  2b  3b  hr  rbi  w  k  avg.
TEX Gonzalez, Adrian 1b   4  1  1   0   0   1    1  0  1  .298 - HR (11) - seems to be doing well

-----------------  A Florida State League ----------------- 

Players                  ab  r  h  2b  3b  hr  rbi  w  k  avg.
FLA Mitchell, Lee 3b      3  1  2   0   2   0    3  0  0  .218

Pitchers                    IP      H  R ER BB SO  HR  ERA
FLA Olsen, Scott (W 5-6)     7      4  0  0  1 15   0  3.51 - CG

----------  Short-Season A New-York Penn League ----------- 

Pitchers                    IP      H  R ER BB SO  HR  ERA
FLA Tankersley, Taylor       4      1  0  0  0  5   0  0.00

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.