Fox learns more of fate on Monday

dolfinfan305

MIAMI -- Chad Fox, on the disabled list since April 29, will learn more about his playing future on Monday.

Sidelined with inflammation in his right elbow, Fox is aware that he might not pitch again this season, but the veteran -- who made a major contribution in the Marlins' 2003 championship season -- hasn't ruled out pitching in 2005.

He will know more on Monday after speaking with orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews.

Fox still hasn't resumed baseball activities and has spent the past few months with his family at his home in Spring, Texas. If cleared to begin throwing soon, he said, he will strive to pitch in September, but not if it means risking further injury.

"It's hard," he said. "I'm drawing a paycheck from the Florida Marlins and I'm doing nothing. I don't want to speak as if it's over. Obviously, my health is my main issue. I don't want to run myself out there and hurt it again and blow myself out.

"There is still numbness and tingling. I'll talk to Dr. Andrews on Monday and get a game plan to see what he wants to do."

Having undergone two Tommy John surgeries and a third elbow reconstruction surgery, Fox expects that Andrews will want him to undergo stress tests.

"I'm not getting too down or too up," he said. "I'll see what Dr. Andrews has to say."

One reason Fox has stayed away is that he has a difficult time watching baseball -- the competitor in him wants to be out there. Already during his stint on the DL, he has tweaked the elbow trying to push too fast.

So he's enjoying his time as a father and husband in Texas. The family recently took a camping trip near San Antonio, where he was away from telephones and televisions.

He usually follows the Marlins either over the Internet or through newspaper box scores.

Fox, who turns 34 in September, feels that he has already dodged three bullets by returning from major arm surgeries. He's hopeful that he will pitch again but is mentally prepared to hang up the glove. Whenever he does retire, Fox said, he envisions remaining in the game as a coach.

"I enjoy the game, and I feel I have something to offer," he said of his coaching aspirations.

Fox was pleasantly surprised to see the team acquire Paul Lo Duca, Guillermo Mota and Juan Encarnacion from the Dodgers, even though the deal came at the price of giving up Brad Penny and Hee-Seop Choi.

"I'm a big Brad Penny fan," he said, "but you have to give something to get something. We probably made the biggest deals out there. To see all the Dodgers gave up."

Fox expects that Mota will fill the void in the bullpen left when he went on the disabled list.

"He's one of the best setup men in the league," he said. "I think we did well. It will be interesting to see how all the pieces play out. Chemistry was a big part of our team last year. You can't buy that, and you can't trade for that."

Check out what i bolded. Doesnt look too good if he still feeling those things.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...s_fla&fext=.jsp

I agree with RAMP- if he's still got tingling and numbness after almost 4 MONTHS.....that isn't a good sign. Especially with the history of arm trouble he's had.

500565[/snapback]

I hope he can come back...he's a great player who doesn't deserve this crap. But it's not looking good.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.