Panthers name new play-by-play announcer

jmenjes

Just received an e-mail newsletter from the Cats. Our new play-by-play guy is Dave Strader. He's been on ESPN the last few seasons doing hockey. Here's the announcement:

SUNRISE--Fox Sports Net Florida announced Tuesday that veteran National Hockey League broadcaster Dave Strader will be the new television play-by-play voice of the Florida Panthers. Beginning with the 2004-05 NHL season, Strader will team up with Hockey Hall of Famer and color analyst Denis Potvin for FSN's exclusive television coverage of the Florida Panthers.

SUNRISE - Fox Sports Net Florida announced Tuesday that veteran National Hockey League broadcaster Dave Strader will be the new television play-by-play voice of the Florida Panthers. Beginning with the 2004-05 NHL season, Strader will team up with Hockey Hall of Famer and color analyst Denis Potvin for FSN's exclusive television coverage of the Florida Panthers.

"Dave Strader is one of the premier hockey play-by-play broadcasters in the sport today," said Fox Sports Net's Senior Vice President and General Manager Jeff Genthner, who made the announcement. "Dave is a highly skilled broadcaster who possesses an exceptional ability to make the telecast an informative and entertaining experience for the audience. Pairing Dave up with veteran hockey analyst Denis Potvin will provide Florida Panthers fans with excellent coverage for every game televised on Fox Sports Net Florida."

A renowned hockey announcer, Strader comes to Florida with 25 years of experience in the broadcast booth. From 1996 through 2004, Strader served as the play-by-play announcer on approximately 60 ESPN national NHL telecasts, as well as providing play-by-play for the NHL All-Star Game and Stanley Cup Finals for the NHL International broadcasts. Prior to joining ESPN, Strader spent eleven years as the television play-by-play voice of the Detroit Red Wings. During his career he also served as play-by-play announcer for select NHL regional telecasts on the FOX television network.

"This is a tremendous opportunity for me. I am fortunate to be working for Fox Sports Net and covering one of the most promising and exciting teams in the National Hockey League," Strader said. "I've had the pleasure of working with Denis Potvin on select play-off telecasts in the past and now look forward to working with him on a full-time basis."

A native of upstate New York, Strader began his broadcasting career with the Adirondack Red Wings (AHL) calling radio play-by-play and working as the team's Director of Public Relations from 1979-1985. He was honored twice by the New York Broadcasters Association for excellence in play-by-play broadcasting and earned the Ken McKenzie Award as the AHL's top PR professional in 1984.

"The future of the Panthers is full of excitement, both on and off the ice," Potvin said. "Personally, I am very excited to team up with Dave Strader, who I regard as one of the very best hockey play-by-play voices in the sport, for all the Panthers telecasts on Fox Sports Net. On the ice, the Panthers will also have a new look reflecting the impact of Mike Keenan, back as general manager, and the outstanding acquisition of head coach Jacques Martin. With the team making several off-season changes to bolster up the defense, and you know how I feel about a strong defense, there's a good chance Panthers fans will hear Dave and myself calling games well into the play-offs on Fox Sports Net Florida."

Strader's accomplishments are not limited to hockey, he has called play-by-play for more than 500 Men's and Women's College Basketball, WNBA and NBDL games for ESPN from 1996 to date.

"We applaud the efforts of Fox Sports Net in pursuing and hiring who we feel is the finest play-by-play announcer in the National Hockey League," said Florida Panthers Chief Operating Officer Michael Yormark. "Dave Strader is internationally renowned for his skillful and entertaining descriptions and insights. Dave and Denis Potvin have demonstrated their great chemistry on ESPN and their talents are respected throughout the league. The two of them will entertain, inform and educate our fans on the Panthers and the greatest game on earth. We're excited to welcome Dave and his family to the Florida Panthers organization."

http://www.floridapanthers.com/pressbox/ne...04strader.shtml

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.