Schmidt may miss Tuesday start vs. Marlins

Fishin2004

his next scheduled start is against us at the Pro on Tuesday...i don't want to root for an injury, but this would be a pretty lucky break for us:

SAN FRANCISCO -- The San Francisco Giants were still unsure Wednesday whether ace Jason Schmidt's strained right groin will keep him from making his next start.

Schmidt, a 15-game winner and an NL All-Star, was hurt when he hustled to cover first base on a double play to end the eighth inning of the Giants' 5-4 win over the Montreal Expos on Tuesday night.

The bullpen blew his chance to become the first pitcher in the majors to reach 16 wins. Schmidt came out to start the ninth and felt a "sharp pain" after making a few warmup pitches, and Scott Eyre relieved.

"It feels a little better today," Schmidt said, reporting normal soreness. "I don't really know what to expect. I'm just going to take it easy for a couple of days and see what comes of it. Everybody's different. Every injury is different. I'll come to the park each day and see.

"If I can pitch, I can pitch."

The Giants will be cautious with him.

Schmidt had the same injury during spring training in 2002 and started the year on the disabled list. He also began this season on the DL with shoulder discomfort, unrelated to his offseason elbow surgery to remove scar tissue and repair a torn tendon.

The Giants have off days Thursday and Monday, which gives the club some time to see how Schmidt heals. They could also reconfigure the rotation and have Schmidt pitch a different day -- his next scheduled turn is Tuesday at Florida.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.