Marlins Adjust Rotation for Giants Series

PBMarlin

Marlins adjust rotation

McKeon positions top four for more starts down stretch

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

SAN DIEGO -- The Marlins have tinkered with their rotation to maximize their four top starters for the duration of the pennant race.

An off-day on Monday allows the Marlins flexibility to readjust their rotation for the upcoming home series against the Giants.

The Marlins have pushed back right-hander Ismael Valdez, who was in line to start Wednesday. Now, the veteran, who was obtained on July 31 from the Padres, is tentatively set to go on Friday against the Rockies. The Marlins could go either with Carl Pavano or Valdez on Friday. Whoever doesn't pitch Friday will start on Saturday.

With the Giants ahead of them in the Wild Card race, the defending World Series champions are going with A.J. Burnett on Tuesday, Dontrelle Willis on Wednesday and Josh Beckett on Thursday.

Valdez has had two rough road starts on the nine-game trip, giving up eight earned runs (nine total) in 9 1/3 innings and five home runs. His 20 home runs allowed on the road are the most in the league.

"We're going to keep those guys on five days and Valdez moves back to Friday," manager Jack McKeon said. "We're keeping the four guys we've had going pretty good in rotation."

The Marlins entered Sunday five games behind the Giants in the Wild Card race. They trail the Braves in the National League East by 7 1/2 games.

By altering the rotation, the Marlins are looking at starting Valdez in the upcoming series with the Rockies and the Mets (Aug. 30-Sept. 2) in New York.

Valdez will miss the games against the Cubs, Sept. 3-5 at Pro Player Stadium.

Good idea to maximize our top four starters for the stretch run. Now we need all of them to step it up.

Link to Full Article

pitching to barry is crazy he has 282 AB's (official) wiht 34 homers if u figure it out hes averaging a homer every 8 abs. So if u pitch to him every at bat he will homer at least once, based on the average abs per game he would homer once or twice in the series. on that note i would hate for him to homer against us.but.......if were gonna ger beat who else do u want to beat us him or some minor league punk. I looked at this the same way when pujols homerd against beckett. If ur gonna get beat get beat like a man not a PU**Y

pitching to barry is crazy he has 282 AB's (official) wiht 34 homers if u figure it out hes averaging a homer every 8 abs. So if u pitch to him every at bat he will homer at least once, based on the average abs per game he would homer once or twice in the series.

522886[/snapback]

yea, but if you walk him every at bat he will score at LEAST once. So it's like he hit the homer anyway... plus you don't actually get a chance to get an out.

Good call on adjusting the rotation. I like the fact that Valdez could also miss the first Cubs series too which is in Chicago right? I'd rather have him pitch against them at Pro Player

522918[/snapback]

The first series against the cubbies is here...

sept. 10-12 at wrigley...

We shouldn't pitch to Barry make the other guys hurt you. We didn't pitch to Barry in the NLCS last year and their offense sucked.

522983[/snapback]

I agree totally. It worked for us during the division series last year.

Given the Giants location in the wild card standings, this series will determine whether we stay in the race.

i thought jack should have taken carl out sooner in todays game

our pitchers are going to get a lot of work

i hope we dont injure our starters

523056[/snapback]

i was thinking about that...both starters in todays game got their pitch count up fast...but i have learned to rely on jack...so im not worried about it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.