Conine is on the verge of breaking a MLB record...

Accord

With two games under his belt in San Diego's new Petco Park, the Marlins' Jeff Conine has played in 43 major-league stadiums in his career, which may not be a record, but it's close.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Fred McGriff, Sammy Sosa and Steve Finley have played in 45 ballparks, the most among active players. Five others have played in 44. But if Conine, 38, hangs around long enough to see the Montreal Expos get a new home and the Cardinals and Marlins get new parks, he could pass all of them.

''I've been able to see a lot of the really old, beat-up ballparks and the advent of this new wave of great ballparks that are coming in now,'' Conine said. ``I got to see some of the old parks and the history and the nostalgia that went on in those and the players that played in them. And then that gets wiped away and you start a new slate with a new ballpark.''

And no one is likely to challenge McGriff's record, nor match Conine's mark, for quite some time. Baseball enjoyed its most rapid expansion between 1993-98, when it added four clubs, and its most prolific period of stadium construction began in 1991, the year after Conine made his major league debut. Since then 18 ballparks have been added, and Conine's played in every one.

''Obviously,'' he said, ``it means I've been around a long time.''

Conine's favorite park is Baltimore's Camden Yards, the first of the modern ''retro'' parks, where he played for five years with the Orioles. And though he doesn't miss any of the old stadiums, he was particularly happy to see Cleveland's Municipal Stadium and San Francisco's Candlestick Park go.

''The old ones, they're nostalgic, they're kind of cool knowing about the history that happened in those places,'' he said. ``But they were dumps. And these new ones, they're plush. They're really nice to play in.''

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...all/9465238.htm

How much longer is Conine gonna play? I imagine it would take a few years to build the new Stadium in Miami.

523998[/snapback]

The new stadium is expected in 2007. Niner said he wants to play for as long as he is able to walk, but i'd guess mabye 5-6 more years at the most if he remains at first base.

I read that earlier, but I'm wondering how Conine can ever break the record if he can't catch Finley or Sammy.

523717[/snapback]

Longetivity :D .

524035[/snapback]

Well he's producing less than those other cats and he is older so he'd have to pull something interesting off.

I read that earlier, but I'm wondering how Conine can ever break the record if he can't catch Finley or Sammy.

523717[/snapback]

Longetivity :D .

524035[/snapback]

Well he's producing less than those other cats and he is older so he'd have to pull something interesting off.

524052[/snapback]

Steve is going to be the next Julio Franco.

Sosa and Finley haven't played at Tropicana so if they move to the AL before the Cardinals, Marlins and new Expos' stadiums open they'll be at 46. 47 if they don't move to the AL before the new Expos camp out at RFK or somewhere else (and don't the Yankees and Sox play the NL East next year?).

Conine has played at every single active MLB park, but can reach 48 if he plays until the Marlins, Cardinals and Expos open new parks and the Marlins are invited to Italy for a regular season series in 2005 as had been talked about this past offseason.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.