FIG Requesting Hamm to Return Gold Medal

FreshFish

c/o NBC.COM

ATHENS -- The United States Olympic Committee (USOC) has rejected a request by FIG, the international gymnastics federation, to deliver a letter to all-around champion Paul Hamm that states giving up his gold medal would be "the ultimate demonstration of fair play."

IOC head Rogge says Paul Hamm controversy is settled

FIG's letter intended for Hamm, signed by president Bruno Grandi, closed by saying: "At this moment in time, you are the only one who can make this decision."

In a statement released Friday, the USOC called FIG's request "a blatant and inappropriate attempt...to once again shift responsibility for its own mistakes and instead pressure Mr. Hamm into resolving what has become an embarrassing situation for your federation. The USOC finds this request to be improper, outrageous and so far beyond the bounds of what is acceptable that we refuse to transmit it to Mr. Hamm."

Hamm won the all-around gold medal Aug. 18 in a memorable comeback, recovering from a fall on vault with near-perfect routines in his final two events -- parallel bars and high bar -- to win the gold by .012 of a point. However, FIG later acknowledged a scoring error on the parallel bars routine of South Korean Yang Tae-Young after a protest by the South Korean gymnastics federation.

Had Yang's start value not been lowered from 10.0 to 9.9, he would have won the gold medal instead of the bronze. FIG suspended three judges after reviewing tape of the routine, but stated it could not change results of a competition after it had taken place and recognized Hamm as the all-around champion.

The South Korean federation appealed in the hope of having a second gold medal awarded, similar to what happened at the 2002 Salt Lake Winter Olympics in pairs figure skating, after it was revealed a judge was pressured into scoring a Russian pair higher than a Canadian pair.

But International Olympic Committee president Dr. Jacques Rogge sees a clear distinction between the two incidents, and Rogge told NBC's Bob Costas in an interview Thursday night that the IOC considers the case closed.

"The Salt Lake issue was a fact where the judge was really manipulated and there was corruption," Rogge said. "In sport you have to deal with the human error. People make errors, but they are honest and they make errors in good faith, and you have to accept that.

"In this case there was a genuine and in-good-faith error by the judges, and there was no ground to have a second medal."

Rogge's statements to NBC contradict what FIG included in its letter intended for Hamm, which read: "FIG and the IOC would highly appreciate the magnitude of this gesture [giving up his gold medal]."

The USOC lashed back at FIG, writing in a response letter addressed to Grandi: "As stewards of the Olympic movement, we all share a responsibility to protect, and not sacrifice, the interests of athletes. We encourage you and individuals within FIG, who saw this as an appropriate remedy, to begin taking that responsibility more seriously."

The response letter was released to the media Friday by the USOC, along with the letter FIG intended for Hamm.

Originally, the USOC said it would consider the awarding of a second gold medal. But in a statement, it said: "In light of this most recent and unacceptable maneuver by the FIG...this is no longer an option the USOC will consider." The USOC said it spoke to Hamm by phone twice Thursday and expressed its "unwavering support."

"We are extremely proud of Paul Hamm and all he accomplished," USOC chairman Peter Ueberroth said. "Now, faced with more adversity, he will again not give up, and he will have the full support of the United States Olympic Committee with him."

Imo i wouldnt be able to keep a medal that i know i really did not win...yes it was a human error but the results were supposed to make the koreans the winner...the whole world now knows that he really wasnt the winner...i myself couldnt wake up every morning look at the medal i know i truly earned the gold...if it was me in his shoes i would have given the medal back the moment i knew i wasnt the real winner...

Imo i wouldnt be able to keep a medal that i know i really did not win...yes it was a human error but the results were supposed to make the koreans the winner...the whole world now knows that he really wasnt the winner...i myself couldnt wake up every morning look at the medal i know i truly earned the gold...if it was me in his shoes i would have given the medal back the moment i knew i wasnt the real winner...

528638[/snapback]

I just love how it was realized AFTER. It makes it look shady because they were shocked when Hamm came back and now want to take it back for a Korean. I'm sorry, but rules are rules. Hamm should keep it because he won it. I don't think there was human error in any way other than Hamm won it and they were too shocked to make this story up at the meet.

528638[/snapback]

well, then why no deduct the .2 of a point for an error that the Korean made on oone of his exercises? He is the champion, based on who do you ask for.

On the other hand, if I was Hamm I would return the F***ing medal. He is bigger as a person than a fu***ing olympic medal. They can stuff it.

Gymnastic is the biggest joke in the olympic. btw, officiating is horrible on most Olympics events.

s*** like this happens everyday in every sport. You do realize that if we went back and fixed every bad call that ever made the Marlins wouldn't have gone to the World Series last year, right? People get over it -- they bitch for a while, blow up a baseball, and move on.

s*** like this happens everyday in every sport. You do realize that if we went back and fixed every bad call that ever made the Marlins wouldn't have gone to the World Series last year, right? People get over it -- they bitch for a while, blow up a baseball, and move on.

528653[/snapback]

The Bartman call was the correct one, any New York baseball fan knows that rule by heart.

maybe the FIG should tell the f***s, i mean bucks of ohio state to give back their national title. the refs f***ed over the korean guy just like the refs f***ed over to UM

hamm should keep the gold, either they can give another gold to the korean or just leave this all behind

529523[/snapback]

Ohio St. should be stripped of their national title anyways for having an illegal player on the team that didn't even go to school ther

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.