Kobe case to be dismissed?

geemoney

Guest marlins02

i like to call it the OJ syndrome. one guy who obviously was guilty got off and now every famous person accused is considered guilty.

they mentioned it last night on the ESPN25 top headlines... im still trying to figure out what story they got that was bigger than OJ.

AGLE, Colo. -- The Kobe Bryant case collapsed Wednesday as prosecutors said they had no choice but to drop the sexual assault charge against the NBA star because the woman accusing him could no longer participate.

With the parents of the 20-year-old accuser looking on, District Judge Terry Ruckriegle threw out the case under a deal that means no charges will be refiled.

"The people have filed a motion to dismiss this case based on the fact the sole victim at this time is unable to go forward," District Attorney Mark Hurlbert told the judge.

Bryant still faces a federal civil lawsuit filed by the accuser that seeks unspecified damages.

District Attorney Mark Hurlbert scheduled a late afternoon news conference, then canceled it to attend the court session. His spokeswoman declined comment before that, as did attorneys for the 20-year-old accuser. Defense attorneys did not return calls seeking comment.

Bryant, 26, has said he had consensual sex with a then-19-year-old employee of a Vail-area resort where he stayed last summer. If convicted, the Los Angeles Lakers star would have faced four years to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation, and a fine up to $750,000.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

unbelievable

Text of Bryant statement

September 1, 2004

Text of Kobe Bryant's statement released after a judge dismissed a sexual assault charge against him:

``First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colo.

I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado.''

This is fascinating

from my understanding there is a civil case that is still out there ... expect that to settle discretely and there will be a big payout .... wouldn't be shocked to see this all quietly handled in the next couple of months

guy got lucky ...... but is probably dumb enough to toss d to any chick who comes his way and then act like a prick about it

i bet he paid her off

537383[/snapback]

haha, for damn sure he did....i'd rather lose a couple percent of my bank account than having to go through this long ass trial mess with the possibly of getting convicted

i just think this is hilarious, i mean everybody just stressing about this for over a year now and now that the trial is FINALLY gonna start, everythings over

gotta love being famous and rich