Marlins talking to commissioner's office

Accord

NEW YORK - The Marlins have begun discussions with the commissioner's office over contingency plans should Hurricane Frances disrupt this weekend's scheduled three-game series with the Chicago Cubs at Pro Player Stadium.

''We're monitoring the situation,'' said Richard Levin, baseball's chief spokesman.

Cubs president Andy MacPhail had proposed the clubs, who are battling for the National League wild-card playoff berth, play a doubleheader Friday, then move the third game of the series to Wrigley Field next weekend, where the teams begin a three-game series Sept. 10. But the Marlins have nixed that plan. Nor can the two series be flopped -- moving this weekend's games to Chicago and playing the Sept. 10 series in Miami -- because the Dolphins open their NFL season against the Tennessee Titans at Pro Player on Sept. 12.

''We are in conversations with the league about what to do,'' said P.J. Loyello, the Marlins vice president for communications. ``I don't think we're a position to bag three games. We still don't know where this [storm] is going to go. These things change direction, and this one may change direction.

``But we're certainly not going to do anything that would put our fans in danger.''

Because the games are home games for the Marlins, the club can pretty much dictate what happens next, said Katy Feeney, head of MLB's scheduling and club relations department. But, Feeney added, baseball ``could, I suppose, overrrule them if they felt there was a reason to.''

For the time being, however, Feeney is letting the Marlins handle things, although she admitted there's no time left in the season to reschedule games. Complicating matters further is the fact that the NL Divisional Series, featuring the wild-card winner, begins two days after the season ends. But if the Marlins-Cubs series is washed out, however, wild-card winner may not be determined by the time the playoffs are to start.

''One you get to this point in the season, there's not much,'' she said. ``And hurricanes are unpredictable. It's only Wednesday and there's no hurricane and there's no games yet either.''

Fearing disruptions from Hurricane Charley, the Marlins moved the start time of a home game with St. Louis up six hours earlier this month, but the hurricane missed Miami. That's one reason the team is moving slowly this time. In addition, the series with the Cubs will have a major bearing on the pennant race and with the Marlins having just two days off the rest of the season, rescheduling it would be difficult.

The Cubs, meanwhile, were scheduled to fly from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale after their Wednesday night game with the Expos and do not want to be stranded in South Florida if there's little chance the games will be played.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/...ews/9555237.htm

if they do that without the official 'permission' of MLB, what happens? do they get 3 losses?

537271[/snapback]

Yes, im guessing we win by forfiet. Hey right now i dotn care if we win by playing or forfieting. A win is a win.

537318[/snapback]

I doubt the Cubs would be flying home if the consequence was these games resulting into ''forfeit'' wins for the Fish. No doubt they have been given indication the games will be cancelled, as they should be. People of South Florida have bigger concerns than some baseball games during a hurricane...

I posted this in the other thread,but after the game tonight at SHea I got a chance to talk to Jeffrey Loria. Between lavishing him with praise and begging him to never leave the franchise I asked him about the Cubs series.

He said they'll try to play split doubleheader on Sunday, and make up the third game on a later date.

My guess is that they make it up on the 20th at PPS.

Guest marlins02

They should switch the two locations of the two series.

538093[/snapback]

That was my idea as well. Why not play the three games there and then have them come back here for the other 3 games.

Obviously won't be done because it makes too much sense.

538145[/snapback]

the dolphins open up at home next sunday. what about the possibility of the marlins playing 3 games at home next weekend and pushing the dolphins game to monday night? the same thing was done in 97 during the world series (or was it the LCS?) and the dolphins played the bears on monday night.

of course, back then both teams were owned by the same guy.

They should switch the two locations of the two series.

538093[/snapback]

That was my idea as well. Why not play the three games there and then have them come back here for the other 3 games.

Obviously won't be done because it makes too much sense.

538145[/snapback]

according to the cubs, thats "out of the question" because they dont want to let down their fans who bought tickets for next weekend's series.

also, apparently there is a dolphins game next sunday, tho i'm sure we could schedule a doubleheader on friday or saturday.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.