How Much More Can the GOP Milk 9/11?

FutureGM

They just won't stop pushing the fact that Bush was in office when 9/11 happened. Who really cares? He wasn't one of the firefighers or police officers down in Ground Zero, actually saving the lives of victims of an immense tragedy.

Apparently the GOP believes that they can win by just saying the words '9/11' again and again, since they haven't been talking about anything else other than that.

They just won't stop pushing the fact that Bush was in office when 9/11 happened. Who really cares? He wasn't one of the firefighers or police officers down in Ground Zero, actually saving the lives of victims of an immense tragedy.

Apparently the GOP believes that they can win by just saying the words '9/11' again and again, since they haven't been talking about anything else other than that.

539537[/snapback]

Apparently John Kerry thinks he can win simply by saying the word 'Vietnam' again and again.

Hypocrite.

539537[/snapback]

Apparently John Kerry thinks he can win simply by saying the word 'Vietnam' again and again.

539907[/snapback]

:lol

Kerry's service in Vietnam is extremley relevant. Bush has laid an attack that John Kerry, when faced with adversity, will be indecisive and choke, for lack of a better word. Kerry is telling America that he was leading other men when bullets were being shot at them, when they were constantly in fear, when they were in the heat of a war in a foreign land. I believe him. I believe Bush laid this attack out. I think what proves this more is that normally if the non veteran doesnt induce the veteran to mark his service, then it doesnt work. In 1992, Bill Clinton never said anything that would induce GB1 to say "my service proves that I can address that which you are concerned with." Thats probably why GB1 saying I fought and you didnt never worked. Here Bush is saying to Kerry, youre a choker, and Kerry is saying oh yeah...WELL I DIDNT CHOKE IN NAM!

As far as Bush and the war on terror, let Bush tell me how he is winning the war on terror. Yes he gave a solid speech and the nation was proud after 9-11 so he handled the situation well. But Id argue that a lot of people could have done that. America was pissed and ready to be united with each other. My view, and it is my view, is that Bush gets a lot more credit for post 9-11. And therin lies the question futuregm is asking and which has been ignored. Yes he did what was to be done post 9-11. But what does that have to do with why he should be reelected? My view, and Ill assume futuregms, is that he simply wants people to remember the times when his approval rating was through the roof and vote for him based on those times. Perhaps a time machine would be more effective.

Also what does that have to do with his actions in the war on terror? Simply stating the conclusion doesnt act as proof for the conclusion. Does that excuse him from increasing the ranks of terrorists due to Iraq?

Kerry's service in Vietnam is extremley relevant. Bush has laid an attack that John Kerry, when faced with adversity, will be indecisive and choke, for lack of a better word. Kerry is telling America that he was leading other men when bullets were being shot at them, when they were constantly in fear, when they were in the heat of a war in a foreign land. I believe him. I believe Bush laid this attack out. I think what proves this more is that normally if the non veteran doesnt induce the veteran to mark his service, then it doesnt work. In 1992, Bill Clinton never said anything that would induce GB1 to say "my service proves that I can address that which you are concerned with." Thats probably why GB1 saying I fought and you didnt never worked. Here Bush is saying to Kerry, youre a choker, and Kerry is saying oh yeah...WELL I DIDNT CHOKE IN NAM!

As far as Bush and the war on terror, let Bush tell me how he is winning the war on terror. Yes he gave a solid speech and the nation was proud after 9-11 so he handled the situation well. But Id argue that a lot of people could have done that. America was pissed and ready to be united with each other. My view, and it is my view, is that Bush gets a lot more credit for post 9-11. And therin lies the question futuregm is asking and which has been ignored. Yes he did what was to be done post 9-11. But what does that have to do with why he should be reelected? My view, and Ill assume futuregms, is that he simply wants people to remember the times when his approval rating was through the roof and vote for him based on those times. Perhaps a time machine would be more effective.

Also what does that have to do with his actions in the war on terror? Simply stating the conclusion doesnt act as proof for the conclusion. Does that excuse him from increasing the ranks of terrorists due to Iraq?

540348[/snapback]

I think 9-11 plays an important role in the reelection campaign of George Bush, mostly because it was a big part of his first term. He has to prove to people that he was successful (and I know we could start a whole other thread discussing that). Of course he is using the 9-11 stuff to bring people back to a time when his approval rating was so high; that's the way politics works. Both parties are guilty of this (the fun happy Democratic convention tried to make people happy and make them feel good about their party). That's exactly what the Republicans are doing, albeit using a single event.

In terms of the Vietnam thing, I think it's been blown way out of proportion. But a couple of things here: first, I don't think that you can blame this thing on Bush; he isn't funding them and he has distanced himself from them. Secondly, and I hate to make this sound like I am justifying anything, but Kerry is the one who brought his millitary record into this. If any conservative had brought this up first and attacked him, I would have a big problem with it, but Kerry rolled it out. Like I said though, Im not trying to justify it.

As a moderate conservative, I don't want to hear any more about Kerry and Vietnam (or Edwards, son of a millworker, for that matter). I want to hear what they are going to do differently. I find it almost surprising that when running for public office, Kerry seems to bring up Vietnam (or has at least) more than his time in the Senate. Watching his acceptance speech at the DNC, you would really have no idea that he has served 20 years as a United States Senator from Massachusetts.

Bush is in a position as incumbent where you know what you are getting if he is reelected. Bush doesn't have to sit around and explain what he's going to do with the next four years; you know what you are getting. So he can, I think, afford to bring things like 9-11 into it. And you can argue that he is only trying to use the emotion of the event for support, and I think to a certain extent, he probably is. But you cannot deny the fact that when people look at the Bush administration (depending on how far to the left or right you are), they see Iraq and 9-11.

Of course he is using the 9-11 stuff to bring people back to a time when his approval rating was so high; that's the way politics works. Both parties are guilty of this (the fun happy Democratic convention tried to make people happy and make them feel good about their party). That's exactly what the Republicans are doing, albeit using a single event.

Ill certainly give you that. Listen I dont want a lot of this to happen either. I too with presidential elections were both candidates laying out how they will operate on each and every single issue. How they will fix healthcare. How they will fix the enviroment. I want specifics. But you know as well as I do that has been thrown out the window a long time ago? Who do we have to blame for this crap? Perhaps the American people. Just look at how many people have fallen for the flipflopper campaign. (He has basically been saying Kerry, you are a political figure. But Bush is too! He flipflops like everyone else.)

Any Bush supporter has to accept that it is that ambigious notion of "character" that got Bush elected. How many Americans in reality do you think voted for Bush over Gore because they just thought he was a good old regular guy they could relate to?

Im also not going to get into the swiftboat thing. I know Bush is responsible for it and I wont buy the plausible deniability stuff. Kerry is using Vietnam because he has to prove leadership and it is Bush who made leadership an issue. Do you think he would want to get into the detail of domestic policy such as his enviromental record, the still failing healthcare in America, the economy, etc? I personally dont. And even if one is a libertarian and thinks such issues are dumb, the rest of America is not and does find those issues to be important. Listen Ill again point to two past elections in which people did not or could not use their veteran leadership. Dole and GB1. Why is that? Im pretty sure its not because they didnt want to. Its because leadership was not at issue, other things were. And again, its Bush that brought "leadership" into this.

And frankly the only thing Kerry can really say is that he will improve these domestic issues on which Bush has failed on. I just cant continue to fathom how people think Kerry will be bad for national security. Personally I think national security is an issue insulated from the power of teh Presidency to such a great degree. But people have convinced themselves that its the President that is responsible for this. The only thing Kerry can do is bring up Vietnam. I mean seriously, what else can he say? I ll go to Afghanistan myself and find Bin Laden?

And I know there is a lot of diplomacy involved and Id put Iraq is this category. But there is simply no way to know who's diplomacy is the proper one. Thats why Ive simply never bought the comparison's to Chamberlain and WW2. Hitler had invaded two nations already and invaded a nation the world had promised it would help. That is bad diplomacy to the Nth degree. But when you have to cite such hyperbole to inititiate such an ambigious action in Iraq...I just find it humorous.

Could somebody tell me how Bush is winning the war on terror?

Look at the things he has been unsuccessful in accomplishing:

-Never found Iraqi WMD's

-Bin Laden has not been captured, and remains on the loose, despite Bush's repeated promises that he would be brought to justice

-The majority of the Taliban leadership was never captured or killed, and has been regrouping to continue attacks against the new Afghani government and the U.S. force in the country

The attacks have stopped, Al Qaeda's leadership is dead, captured, or otherwise completely dismantled. Americans haven't been attacked on US soil since 9/11.

A brutal dictatorship that has raped, murdered, and gassed thousands, if not millions, of innocents... is now out of power and justice has been/will be served to them.

SOMEBODY TELL ME HOW THIS DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING TO YOU LIBERAL WHACKJOBS!

DOES THE FACT THAT THESE WACKOS WANT YOU (EVEN THE LIBERALS) AND YOUR FAMILIES MAIMED, RAPED, KILLED AND DRAGGED AROUND THE STREETS MEAN A DAMN THING TO YOU?

YOUR LEADER IS ELIMINATING THESE SCUM FROM THE EARTH, AND YOU HAVE THE GALL TO OPPOSE THAT?

What are you people thinking? What goes through the left wing mind of yours? Somebody please explain this to me.

Damn.

The attacks have stopped, Al Qaeda's leadership is dead, captured, or otherwise completely dismantled. Americans haven't been attacked on US soil since 9/11.

A brutal dictatorship that has raped, murdered, and gassed thousands, if not millions, of innocents... is now out of power and justice has been/will be served to them.

DOES THE FACT THAT THESE WACKOS WANT YOU (EVEN THE LIBERALS) AND YOUR FAMILIES MAIMED, RAPED, KILLED AND DRAGGED AROUND THE STREETS MEAN A DAMN THING TO YOU?

YOUR LEADER IS ELIMINATING THESE SCUM FROM THE EARTH, AND YOU HAVE THE GALL TO OPPOSE THAT?

What are you people thinking? What goes through the left wing mind of yours? Somebody please explain this to me.

Damn.

542178[/snapback]

Terrorists plan these attacks thru periods of years. The attacks on September 11 had been being planned for years and years. So unless they had an attack ready the last 4 years it wasnt going to happen. I mean really what has Bush done to prevent another attack on American Soil, there's still Terrorist cells all over the Middle East, Europe and even yes here in American Soil.

Was it worth almost 1,000 American soldier lives and the broken relationships with foreign countries to break up the Saddam reign which now we learned posed no immediate threat to the U.S?

Then explain to me why Al-Qaeda continues to strongly influence the muslim radical world?

Bush has brutally raped, tortured hundreds, if not thousands of Iraqi soldiers and their families, does that make him any better?

Hah we are the whack jobs now eh?

Does the fact that Bush is killing hundreds of good American soldiers for a war for oil mean anything to you?

Hah, what a great leader, the same one who went AWOL in Vietnam, wasn't there for America when the first planes hit the WTC, was in jail, his own father considered him a problem, and he attacks the military records of people who are war heros.

Tell me why then that terrorist attacks have increased, not decreased since Bush took office.

Damn.

We have open minds to both the plight of people and the blight to our country that is George W. Bush.

The attacks have stopped, Al Qaeda's leadership is dead, captured, or otherwise completely dismantled.? Americans haven't been attacked on US soil since 9/11.

A brutal dictatorship that has raped, murdered, and gassed thousands, if not millions, of innocents... is now out of power and justice has been/will be served to them.?

What are you people thinking?? What goes through the left wing mind of yours?? Somebody please explain this to me.

Damn.

542178[/snapback]

Terrorists plan these attacks thru periods of years. The attacks on September 11 had been being planned for years and years. So unless they had an attack ready the last 4 years it wasnt going to happen. I mean really what has Bush done to prevent another attack on American Soil, there's still Terrorist cells all over the Middle East, Europe and even yes here in American Soil.

Was it worth almost 1,000 American soldier lives and the broken relationships with foreign countries to break up the Saddam reign which now we learned posed no immediate threat to the U.S?

542394[/snapback]

Throw politics out the window... and ask yourself that question.

As an American, my answer is yes.

God if the f***ing media would show you the millions of thankful people in Iraq, maybe you'd get the picture.... we did a GOOD THING.

I thought liberals were all about helping people. I guess I'm wrong since this issue involves agreeing with (GASP) a REPUBLICAN!!! :whistle

Damn.

542178[/snapback]

542394[/snapback]

God if the f***ing media would show you the millions of thankful people in Iraq, maybe you'd get the picture.... we did a GOOD THING.

I thought liberals were all about helping people. I guess I'm wrong since this issue involves agreeing with (GASP) a REPUBLICAN!!! :whistle

542422[/snapback]

Where are all these thankful people?

The last time I saw them was when they were taking down Saddam's statue in Baghdad.

Oh yeah, I agree with John McCain's views and hes a republican...

The fact that you just said "war for oil" eliminates your credibility in my book, Beinfest. Where the f*** do you get this s*** from. What a bunch of left wing garbage.

Show me where the US has taken control of oil facilities.

I dare you.

I challenge you.

542431[/snapback]

Take a look at the falling oil prices from where they were buddy.

They've increased lately because Saudi Arabia and OPEC control most of the oil production we get and they have raised the prices.

Damn.

542178[/snapback]

542394[/snapback]

542422[/snapback]

Yeah they have showed SOME of the people that are thankful like the people that worked for Sadaam and atheletics who were abused and things like that but most actually rather have Sadaam there. At least he was stable and predictable, most of the people in Iraq right now are living in fear and most cant come out of their house, especially at night with all the terrorists attacks happening within the country.

Oh and as you can see I'm ignoring your stupid Liberal attacks on me because I wouldnt want to stoop to that level. I dont need to attack your party stance or what you believe in to get my point across. :thumbup

The attacks have stopped, Al Qaeda's leadership is dead, captured, or otherwise completely dismantled.? Americans haven't been attacked on US soil since 9/11.

A brutal dictatorship that has raped, murdered, and gassed thousands, if not millions, of innocents... is now out of power and justice has been/will be served to them.?

What are you people thinking?? What goes through the left wing mind of yours?? Somebody please explain this to me.

Damn.

542178[/snapback]

542394[/snapback]

542422[/snapback]

Yeah they have showed SOME of the people that are thankful like the people that worked for Sadaam and atheletics who were abused and things like that but most actually rather have Sadaam there. At least he was stable and predictable, most of the people in Iraq right now are living in fear and most cant come out of their house, especially at night with all the terrorists attacks happening within the country.

Oh and as you can see I'm ignoring your stupid Liberal attacks on me because I wouldnt want to stoop to that level. I dont need to attack your party stance or what you believe in to get my point across. :thumbup

542435[/snapback]

That's classy of you, I am also usually that way... just at this point in time, I am sick of the s*** I'm hearing around campus... I'm honestly shocked that some people can believe the crap they're spewing.

I don't need to attack anything to get my point across. I'm just pissed off. I apologize if I offend, I'm just telling it like I see it right now. :cool

Damn.

542178[/snapback]

542394[/snapback]

542422[/snapback]

542435[/snapback]

That's classy of you, I am also usually that way... just at this point in time, I am sick of the s*** I'm hearing around campus... I'm honestly shocked that some people can believe the crap they're spewing.

I don't need to attack anything to get my point across. I'm just pissed off. I apologize if I offend, I'm just telling it like I see it right now. :cool

542452[/snapback]

No problem dood I wasnt pissed but just thought it was a wrong way to go at it.

Its all cool. :hat

Damn.

542178[/snapback]

542394[/snapback]

542422[/snapback]

542435[/snapback]

542452[/snapback]

No problem dood I wasnt pissed but just thought it was a wrong way to go at it.

Its all cool. :hat

542454[/snapback]

Aight.. I'm done :thumbup

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.