ESPN Cy Young debate

Skully

I've never started a thread like this cause I normally don't care... But I could not believe this. Sportscenter is starting now and they are starting a Cy Young debate...

Their candidates:

Roger Clemens

Randy Johnson

Jason Schmidt

Not even a mention of Carl Pavano... Absolutely amazing.

I think Randy Johnson should win it and it shouldn't even be a contest.

3rd in ERA, 1st in WHIP, 1st in BAA, 1st in strikeouts, 2nd in IP

577635[/snapback]

Can you imagine this guy's record on a winning team this season? It's really a shame such a good pitcher ends up getting screwed by being on the worst team in baseball.

Carl had a very solid and very good year, but not Cy-esque. Still having a "big" name gets you a far way.

577637[/snapback]

Exactly. When Carl had those bad outings, you could feel the award slipping out from him. If he had gotten to 20 wins.. much better chance. Believe me, there are people on other boards bitching about how their pitcher du jour isn't being mentioned either.

I don't know. I think if they're considering Jason Schmidt, they have to consider Pavano. They're numbers aren't that far off.

Schmidt has a lot more K's and a lot less hits allowed, but Pavano had half the walks, one more win, and a better ERA.

I've heard a lot of people say that Pavano's price will go up if he wins the Cy Young, but that's really a lot of BS. He's already put the numbers up. Winning the award won't make the difference between the Marlins re-signing him or not being able to re-sign him.

I'd at least like to see him get some votes. Give the guy the credit he deserves.

577635[/snapback]

Can you imagine this guy's record on a winning team this season? It's really a shame such a good pitcher ends up getting screwed by being on the worst team in baseball.

577638[/snapback]

I was looking at his game log.. and if he were on any half way decent team, he probably could be around 27-5. lol

577635[/snapback]

577638[/snapback]

Remember, he could have left. :thumbup

I've never started a thread like this cause I normally don't care... But I could not believe this. Sportscenter is starting now and they are starting a Cy Young debate...

Their candidates:

Roger Clemens

Randy Johnson

Jason Schmidt

Not even a mention of Carl Pavano... Absolutely amazing.

577632[/snapback]

It is shocking, but in a way good. If he doesnt get any votes for Cy Young, maybe he loses a mil or two and we can re-sign him.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.