Just a thought on offseason priorities

rferry

Maybe it's time to sacrifice some pitching for offense. How many times have we seen average starters come here to play half their games at PPS and put together respectable seasons? Just this year look at Pavano and Valdez. There was also Rapp, Dempster, Burkett, Redman, the developing Burnett/Beckett/Penny and Willis. For the every year of this franchise there's been atleast one starter who has overachieved.

I say take the risk and throw a Logan Kensing, Nate Bump, Justin Wayne or Trevor Hutchinson in place of a Pavano and/or Valdez, and use that available cash to get a Jose Guillen, Carlos Beltran or Richie Sexson. The upgrade in offense far outweighs the loss in pitching talent.

If we can't pay Pavano 9-10 million.? How are we going to be able to pay Beltran or Sexson 11-12 million.

Also, if we were to go after a big free agent bat, I'd go after J.D. Drew.

578040[/snapback]

By trading Encarnacion with LoDuca or Mota for Jose Guillen or a cheap SP and prospect.

I was figuring this at work:

Redmond 1.2 Burnett 32.9

Conine 5.9 Beckett 36.4

Willingham 6.3 Willis 36.9

Castillo 11.6 Valdez 38.4

Lowell 19.6 Wayne/Bump/? 38.8

Gonzalez 23.1

Cabrera 23.6

Pierre 27.1 Benitez 43.3

Cordero/Easley 28.1 Spooney 43.7

Mordy/Harris 28.4 Seanez 44.1

Aguila 28.8 Perisho 44.5

Wilson 29.1 Weathers 45.7

? 29.4 Howard/? 46

That gives you $8 million to add a bat or two with.

They're just examples, although I do think younger sluggers who don't strike out 120-200 times a year are the best fit for the team.

578041[/snapback]

Who cares about strike outs? It's better than a GIDP. I'll take Dunn and his 45 HRs and 200Ks as opposed to someone who'll hit 28 HRs and 120Ks and 40 GIDPs.

If Carl walks, you make sure your bullpen stays strong. Armando and Weathers need to be brought back. Mota needs to be sign. Again though, IMO the organization will make a trade for a starter or sign a guy like a Tony Armas Jr. Someone who could blossom under are staff. Also with the money left on table by Carl, you could go after a good bat.

The problem isn't that our team can't hit.....they haven't hit well when it counts, with RISP.

My bet is a change at hitting coach would be more productive than adding high priced bats.

Starting pitching is what this team is built upon, and must remain a priority. Pavano should be willing to discuss deferred salary arrangements. Valdez has been effective as a 5th starter...and won't break the bank.....i.e. wont' cost anymore than Oliver who was a bust.

I just hope the FO pays better attention to their bullpen this offseason. Re-signing Benitez is a priority...perhaps he is willing to take a mil or so less than he would get on the open market to stay here.

The problem isn't that our team can't hit.....they haven't hit well when it counts, with RISP.

My bet is a change at hitting coach would be more productive than adding high priced bats.

Starting pitching is what this team is built upon, and must remain a priority. Pavano should be willing to discuss deferred salary arrangements. Valdez has been effective as a 5th starter...and won't break the bank.....i.e. wont' cost anymore than Oliver who was a bust.

I just hope the FO pays better attention to their bullpen this offseason. Re-signing Benitez is a priority...perhaps he is willing to take a mil or so less than he would get on the open market to stay here.

578160[/snapback]

That's true but at the same time we are at the bottom with regard to homers and we will only get worse next season you expect 25 homers from Gonzo next season?

As far as Ks, I don't really care about them so long as the hitter has alot of power and gets on base. Dunn's OBP is a nice .388

So who cares if he Ks?

I still think the best option would be to resign Pavano, but if we were too let him go, I think this would be the best alternative. This would include trading Lo Duca to the mets who are looking for a catcher, for Victor Zambrano. Enc would also be included in this deal. (Their the mets they'll do it. :p ). Then signing JD Drew to play RF.

Lowell (8)

Castillo(5.33)

Conine (4.75)

Gonzalez (3.4)

Pierre (3.4)

Drew(9)

Willingham (.3)

Cabrera (.5)

Beckett (2.5)

Burnett (4)

Willis (.5)

Zambrano(1.5)This number I really just pulled out of my ass, I really have no idea what he'll make next year. he made 335K this year so I wouldn't think it'd be any more than $2 million.

Valdez(1)

Mota (2)

Spooneybarger (.5)

Perisho (.5)

Bump (.5)

Howard (.7)

Messenger(.3)

Gracesqui(.3)

Mordecai (.5)

Redmond(1)

2nd utility man(.5)

Aguila(.3)

cheap backup OF'er(.5)

Hampton (11)

Pudge (2)

Total $61.38

Under this scenario, if Loria raises the payroll to $65 million, and if Benitez takes about $5 million next year I might think about signing Benitez and trading Mota.

Also, Willingham, and Red would share time at catcher.

I still think the best option would be to resign Pavano, but if we were too let him go, I think this would be the best alternative. This would include trading Lo Duca to the mets who are looking for a catcher, for Victor Zambrano. Enc would also be included in this deal. (Their the mets they'll do it. :p ). Then signing JD Drew to play RF.

Lowell (8)

Castillo(5.33)

Conine (4.75)

Gonzalez (3.4)

Pierre (3.4)

Drew(9)

Willingham (.3)

Cabrera (.5)

Beckett (2.5)

Burnett (4)

Willis (.5)

Zambrano(1.5)This number I really just pulled out of my ass, I really have no idea what he'll make next year. he made 335K this year so I wouldn't think it'd be any more than $2 million.

Valdez(1)

Mota (2)

Spooneybarger (.5)

Perisho (.5)

Bump (.5)

Howard (.7)

Messenger(.3)

Gracesqui(.3)

Mordecai (.5)

Redmond(1)

2nd utility man(.5)

Aguila(.3)

cheap backup OF'er(.5)

Hampton (11)

Pudge (2)

Total $61.38

Under this scenario, if Loria raises the payroll to $65 million, and if Benitez takes about $5 million next year I might think about signing Benitez and trading Mota.

Also, Willingham, and Red would share time at catcher.

578220[/snapback]

not bad :thumbup

FFran, I like Drew but with his health we need a really good bench. Zambrano's poor command makes him a bad candidate for pitching at PPS.

578230[/snapback]

well at 61.58 that gives us some flexibility to bring in some quality guys off the bench. Also, Willingham could spell Drew in right field if he were to go down. I don't see how bad command has anything to do with PPS. AJ, and Dontrelle have had success and they haven't always had the best command.

You cant win without good pitching.? Good pitching > good offense

578263[/snapback]

Tell that to the Marlins, Yankees or Cardinals (or the Dolphins). We'd still have Beckett, Burnett and Willis ready to go for the playoffs.

Think of it like this. If you have a short left field porch in your ballpark you want to take advantange of it. Instead of overspending for lefthanders with upper deck power you go after lefthanders with bleacher seats power so you can spend more to replace that righthander whose fly balls tend to die with an even better one.

Edit: I think that made it harder to understand.