No Carpenter in NLDS

MarlinFan10

If any team can afford to loose their top pitcher, it would probably be the cards with that good ol' lineup.

Cards RHP Carpenter to miss NLDS

ST. LOUIS - The St. Louis Cardinals will be without 15-game winner Chris Carpenter in the National League Division Series.

Carpenter last pitched on September 18 against Arizona, but had to leave that game in the fourth inning with pain in his right biceps. He had hoped to miss one start before a medical exam last week revealed that he had nerve damage.

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa has ruled out Carpenter for the NLDS, which begins Tuesday or Wednesday in St. Louis.

Carpenter went 15-5 with a 3.46 ERA in 28 starts this season. He did not pitch at all last season for St. Louis after undergoing shoulder surgery.

Yep Carpenter hasnt pitched in about a month when we played the Dodgers. Word is he may or may not pitch in the NLCS if the Cardinals get there. Also word is this injury is somewhat like Brad Penny's injury that'll cost him the rest of this year.

It's a really big blow but I believe we'll be fine without Carp. We still have a solid rotation.

Notes: Carpenter still ailing

Cardinals ace expected to miss first round of playoffs

By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- Chris Carpenter acknowledged on Wednesday what had grown increasingly apparent: He has very little chance of pitching for the Cardinals in the National League Division Series, starting Tuesday or Wednesday of next week in St. Louis.

"Well, you put two and two together," Carpenter said when asked if he would miss the first round. "I haven't thrown in two weeks. I haven't done anything in two weeks. And the playoffs start in a week."

Carpenter last pitched on Sept. 18 against Arizona. He was removed from that game in the fourth inning with right biceps pain, which was later determined to be caused by nerve irritation in his arm.

The problem is that there is no treatment for the condition. Carpenter simply has to wait for the nerve to start firing again. Until it does, he can't have normal biceps function, and he can't throw a baseball.

"I don't know," he said. "It's an unknown basically until you hear different. The problem is that nobody knows anything about it. If I strain a biceps muscle, they tell me I could be out a week and a half. They've dealt with it before. They know. [With this], there is no treatment. I'm not doing anything. There is no treatment for it. There's no way to fix it until it fixes itself."

Carpenter's injury is very similar to what Dodgers right-hander Brad Penny is dealing with. Penny was removed from an Aug. 8 game and didn't pitch again until Sept. 22. He was removed from that game in the third inning and determined to be out for the year.

In a Wednesday article in the Los Angeles Times, Dodgers team physician Dr. Frank Jobe is quoted as saying he knows very little about this type of injury. Jobe is considered one of the foremost experts in working with pitchers, and is the man who first performed Tommy John elbow surgery.

"Not only have I never seen something like this," Jobe told the Times' Steve Springer, "but it is so rare that there isn't even any [research] literature on it."

the Cards are screwed. They already have one of the weakest rotations among the contenders and this makes their rotation the weakest other than the Dodgers

579098[/snapback]

LMAO :lol

The Giants have SCHMIDT.. Whoopy..

The Braves dont have much..

The Dodgers dont have much..

The Astros have Clemens and Oswalt..

Please.. These teams dont even have dominant rotations except the Astros and after Clemens and Oswalt is anyone shaking? Nope..

To say the Cards are screwed is freakin hilarious.. Of course when we still "Dont have the pitching" thats probably true.. I mean look how far we got with who we have. I'm not worried. We dont need a dominant pitcher, we need pitchers that get the jobs done and they have.

the Cards are screwed.? They already have one of the weakest rotations among the contenders and this makes their rotation the weakest other than the Dodgers

579098[/snapback]

Their rotation shut down the Marlins.... then again... a number of rotations have this year. :plain

579106[/snapback]

And the Marlins rotation shut down the Cardinals hitters... then again... not many have done that.

the Cards are screwed. They already have one of the weakest rotations among the contenders and this makes their rotation the weakest other than the Dodgers

579098[/snapback]

Their rotation shut down the Marlins.... then again... a number of rotations have this year. :plain

579106[/snapback]

And the Marlins rotation shut down the Cardinals hitters... then again... not many have done that.

579183[/snapback]

We are discussing if the Cards can win without one of their better pitchers because they are still playing in october. Yes the Marlins were able to shut down the Cards, but look where it got them. I said 2 months ago the marlins weren't going to make it, many of you were just blindly too "hometownish" about the whole thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.