managerial thoughts

jackarmstrong

it's very possible there have been threads before on this subject, but anyway...

jack mckeon will forever be the man in south florida for bringing us the 2003 title. but he does have a tendency to overwork his players. in the 2003 postseason, this full-steam-ahead approach worked incredibly well, culminating with his decision to start beckett on short rest in game 6 of the WS. but in 2004, his extended use of pitchers like rudy seanez and dontrelle willis arguably made them less effective.

mckeon's style was very much in contrast to torborg; when jack came in in may of '03 he saw the training regimen as too laid-back, and upped the intensity. the rest is history. but in '04, the pattern was the opposite: we started hot, but after 50 games tanked and spent june and july playing ourselves virtually out of postseason contention.

which begs the question: was it better to have a lax manager in place for the first few months of 2003 (including preseason), thus saving their energy for a mid/late-season surge? maybe a full year of jackball is too much of a good thing.

Didn't Torborg ride the pitchers and position players hard? I remember the position players rarely getting a day off and the starter pitchers on 150-pitch counts.

Also I seem to recall Jack giving many starts to Lenny Harris, Mordy and the fun bench bunch earlier this year. It wasn't until the trade that he began to send the nine out day after day after day after day after day after day after day.

McKeon is a good manager. I just wish he'd stop trying for the dramatic. Putting Lenny Harris to bat with the bases loaded and 2 outs or throwing Joe Schmo pitcher who was just called up into a jam would be a great story if it works, unfortunetly it rarely does. It's very odd he does that, because he's a pretty conservative manager in all other matters of his managing.

McKeon is a good manager. I just wish he'd stop trying for the dramatic. Putting Lenny Harris to bat with the bases loaded and 2 outs or throwing Joe Schmo pitcher who was just called up into a jam would be a great story if it works, unfortunetly it rarely does. It's very odd he does that, because he's a pretty conservative manager in all other matters of his managing.

581640[/snapback]

Agreed.

Didn't Torborg ride the pitchers and position players hard? I remember the position players rarely getting a day off and the starter pitchers on 150-pitch counts.

581640[/snapback]

Thats why he got fired. He blew out AJs arm, Becketts arm was hurting and so was someone else's. Loria canned him before he drove the rest of the pitching staff into the ground.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.