Payroll

djm305

Some paring of the player payroll is inevitable. Marlins management said it lost $18 million in 2003 and more than $20 million this year, so the 2005 payroll is unlikely to climb much beyond this year's $53 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=1894901

Those of you who think we will field a better team at the start of next season then we did at the end of this season, prepare yourself. Unless we have some very NICE surprises from unlikely players next season I do not see us being able to compete. We will ikely loose Pavano & Benitez, Burnett and LoDuca will demand larger saleries and will be hard to keep everyone intact.

EDIT: when I say compete I mean compete for the title. We may still have a succesful season and it sohuld still be fun to watch.

EDIT: to those who think raising ticket prices hurts the franchise. This franchise is already hurt with the support it's getting. If I were the owner I would raise ticket prices too. The Marlins have some of the cheapest ticket prices in the league as it is and still ends up in the cellar of attendance a season after a World Series title. So now the team looses more money this year, everyone complains that we let some high priced players go and are not fielding a better team. So nobody in Miami goes to games. Then, ticket prices go up and people blame the ticket prices for not going.... Baseball is that kinda game, as long as there are no salary caps players will get out ragous sums of money and the only way to pay these guys is to get butts in the seats. If I am the Yankess then I know I can spend a butload of money cause we will have 40K plus at every game (even with really HIGH ticket prices). If I am Loria and I saw our crappy attendance a year after winning a title, what motivation would you have to spend all that $$$???

Guest Juanky

The Marlins have some of the cheapest ticket prices in the league as it is and still ends up in the cellar of attendance a season after a World Series title. 584212[/snapback]

So, how do justify raising prices when attendance isn't there? You'd think that educated people running a baseball team would be able to figure out the circumstances of the current attendance and instead of alienating the few faithful park goers they have, they should spend their time and energy on baseball and a stadium instead of playing the "woe is me" card all the damn time. Grow a sac, you don't own a baseball team to make money.

Ticket prices were not that low. Check prices for any other stadium and they are comparable.

I don't blame them for raising ticket prices just because they have to be in financial difficulties with the crappy deal we have we Wayne H. But they should be fully aware of the reality, the total cost for getting people out to PPS is getting too expensive to maintain even the current attendance levels.

Ticket prices are rising, gas prices are rising, tolls on the highways are higher than they once were and who knows if they jack up parking rates too.

Ticket prices were not that low. Check prices for any other stadium and they are comparable.

584230[/snapback]

Are you serious? We have it so cheap its not even funny. The redsox cheapest tickets are 20 dollars which are for the bleachers (there are a few games they sell them for 15) for 5 dollars more we could sit behind home base. That would cost 70 at fenway. Look at anyone else, good seats are atleast 40+ and marlins charge 25 dollars. Even look at huge stadiums like Yankees and Shea, and they are still charging way more than we do. Going to a game for 6 dollars (or 3 if you are smart like me and get kids tickets) is insane. Alot of times I go to games because I dont know what else I would do with 3 dollars.

584230[/snapback]

Are you serious? We have it so cheap its not even funny. The redsox cheapest tickets are 20 dollars which are for the bleachers (there are a few games they sell them for 15) for 5 dollars more we could sit behind home base. That would cost 70 at fenway. Look at anyone else, good seats are atleast 40+ and marlins charge 25 dollars. Even look at huge stadiums like Yankees and Shea, and they are still charging way more than we do. Going to a game for 6 dollars (or 3 if you are smart like me and get kids tickets) is insane. Alot of times I go to games because I dont know what else I would do with 3 dollars.

584331[/snapback]

Are you serious? Comparing Pro player to Fenway?

Don't compare against the Red Sox, Yankees and Mets. Those are teams with a huge market and long established fan base.

At Coors field you can get rockpile tickets for $3. Thats an adult price, no need for fraud.

Parking is $5 and many people just take a bus or walk because the stadium is right in the middle of the city. The Rockies are another expansion team like us in the mid market.

Who sets the price for parking though? Does Loria or does Wayne? Doesn't Wayne get the money for parking and concessions still? A lot of the problems the Marlins have is that they don't make much, if any, money off of pro player.

584348[/snapback]

Wayne gets a big chunk of the money. I tried asking what % the Marlins get to Craig Minervini several times in the Mike's hard lemonade question thingy but he never picked it. :whistle

584230[/snapback]

584331[/snapback]

supply and demand. Those teams are in huge demand. The Fish have huge supply. Not sure what is the point of raising prices at this point. Hope they know what they are doing.

From the late Doug Pappas' web blog:

October 6, 2003: Team Rich in Victory, But Its Bottom Line Still Struggles. LINK

The worst thing about the Marlins' postseason success is the extra money it means for former club owner/current stadium owner Wayne Huizenga, who negotiated a sweetheart lease with himself. Sarah Talalay of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel has the gory details:

"The Marlins pay rent and the cost of stadium ushers, custodians, ticket takers and security. The team receives 70 percent of the net revenue from the sale of food, beverages and souvenirs and just 37.5 percent of the $9 parking fee. The team gets none of the revenue from suites."

As a result, according to Marlins president David Samson, the Marlins would take home only half as much as other clubs from a seven-game World Series. The rest would unfortunately go to the man who did his best to destroy the Marlins.

In a related article, Talalay contrasts the Giants' success since building their own park.

The average ticket price for a Marlins game is the second lowest in the bigs (Montreal Expos) and will likely remain among the bottom three after the increase.

If you want to complain about the price of tickets you're missing the point. Is 40,000 in attendance at $10/head nice? Well, maybe for the media attention. Not so much for the team's finances now or for the future. By keeping prices low you're building a fan base that will always expect prices to be low.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.