Black day for baseball

legacyofCangelosi

The red sox winning it all is BAD for baseball. Why? Well since I was a kid, growing up watching baseball, I often heard things about roger maris's home run record, the curse of the bambino, the cubs near 100 year slump among other baseball traditions. For generations people have been hearing about these things. McGwire's record in 1998 was good for baseball, it brought renewed interest after a 40 year old record was finally broken. Bonds breaking it two years later was very bad for baseball, it completely cheapened the record and was a scar on the face of abner doubleday. As interleague play has risen and there are now three divisions in each league with a wildcard in the playoffs, baseball has changed dramatically. For the worse. Baseball is about tradition and this year we're losing another part of baseball tradition. The red sox are not underdogs with the second highest payroll in baseball, they are just the yankees with worse luck through the years. While everyone roots for the red sox, they are rooting for making baseball much worse and destroying the best part....tradition. Hopefully, though u likely the cards can come back and win after trailing 3-0 and hopefully bonds wont break aaron's record, as it is ruth's record being broken at long last was good for baseball, being broken again 20 years later is bad for baseball. So for the sake of baseball go Cards! and Ruth is STILL teh greatest player of all time, regardless of stats, and this i will argue with factual evidence to the death

I would have to say that I expect the same treatment now if the Sox pull it off that the Rangers got in 94. Everyone's happy, they broke the curse, now let's play again. Now what would cheapen the game is if the Cubs went ahead and broke their curse next season if the Sox pull through. The Cubs need to suck again for decades for the good of baseball.

I would have to say that I expect the same treatment now if the Sox pull it off that the Rangers got in 94. Everyone's happy, they broke the curse, now let's play again. Now what would cheapen the game is if the Cubs went ahead and broke their curse next season if the Sox pull through. The Cubs need to suck again for decades for the good of baseball.

602070[/snapback]

That I don't mind :thumbup :lol Let them stink up the league for years and years.

I hate it when people would rather revere the "vaunted baseball tradition" than the vitality of the game as it exists today. This has always been the primary reason that the Marlins are disregarded by typical baseball fans. I've followed baseball for nearly 20 years and last year's Marlins team was one of the most exciting, complete, traditional teams I've ever seen, but all these so-called "traditionalists" would rather root for the very-flawed (in traditional terms) Cubs than the Marlins (gasp...an expansion team). Simply, they would rather worship a dead tradition than a living one.

So, I say: If the Red Sox are the best team in baseball today, then hell yes they should win the Series. And all fans who understand what baseball truly is will cheer.

You only see 2 teams trying to buy a title? What league are you looking at? When I look I see at least 10 (that list includes the Cards, by the way).

602084[/snapback]

I can count the Mets, Cubs, Phillies, Astros (if you think the Marlins bought the title in 97 then they count, I don't necessarily agree), Yanks, Red Sox, Orioles, Angels, Dodgers, you could even throw the Braves (even though they've been slashing payroll), Giants, and Padres in there.

You only see 2 teams trying to buy a title? What league are you looking at? When I look I see at least 10 (that list includes the Cards, by the way).

602084[/snapback]

I can count the Mets, Cubs, Phillies, Astros (if you think the Marlins bought the title in 97 then they count, I don't necessarily agree), Yanks, Red Sox, Orioles, Angels, Dodgers, you could even throw the Braves (even though they've been slashing payroll), Giants, and Padres in there.

602090[/snapback]

Uh....the Stros didn't even have a top 10 payroll this season.

The Orioles? LOL...just because they spent alot last season doesn't mean they tried to buy a championship....

Your team wins a chamionship, not your free agent signings....your total payroll determines in most cases the caliber of that team...

The Yanks payroll? 184 million

The Sox payroll? 127 million

The Angel's payroll? 100 million

The Brewer's payroll? 28 million

The Sox were an entire Brewer's payroll away from the third highest team in terms of payroll...

If you wanted to be nit picky you should place the Yanks in a tier by themselves, the sox in a tier by themselves and the Angels along with the Phillies and such in the third tier...

The highest two payrolls BY FAR were the ones favored going into the playoffs, one of them is going to win the WS....

The Yanks and Sox tried to buy a WS and one of them succeeded this season. We should have a salary cap around 90 - 95 million this is ridiculous...

Just because you can name the top ten payroll teams doesn't mean that they have an equal footing in dishing out this competitive imbalance in baseball...as far as making for that the Sox and Yanks constitute between the both of them probably about 60 - 70 percent 'blame' for the problem if not more.

today[/b], then hell yes they should win the Series. And all fans who understand what baseball truly is will cheer.

602076[/snapback]

This is definetely untrue if the Bosox had the marlins payroll it would be true. A traditionalist would NOT root for the cubs, bc a traditionalist wants to see tradition maintained and there is no greater tradition than that of the loveable losers. Its the newage bandwagoners that root for 127 million dollar payroll 'underdogs' As a traditionalist I root for teams that play baseball the way its supposed to be which is why this year i was hoping the padres could pull it off, same as the marlins last year. I say raise the mound back to its original height. I want to see less homers and less offense, its time for baseball to go back to the way it was, when ruth hit 60 homers no team in the american league had more homers than him alone. Thats greatness, when Bonds hit 72 the tampa bay devil rays as a team had more than twice that. Tradition is good, real tradition the way it should be followed. Any real baseball fan knows that the end to the curse of the bambino is bad, and if the cubs follow suit its even worse.

I don't think it is bad for baseball. This has brought so much more interest to an already booming sport (baseball is coming back). There is no way it's hurting the game.

Give it a couple more years, and you'll see baseball better than ever, once teams like the Tigers (hopefully) and the Pirates return to contention...

The Yanks and Sox tried to buy a WS and one of them succeeded this season. We should have a salary cap around 90 - 95 million this is ridiculous...

Just because you can name the top ten payroll teams doesn't mean that they have an equal footing in dishing out this competitive imbalance in baseball...as far as making for that the Sox and Yanks constitute between the both of them probably about 60 - 70 percent 'blame' for the problem if not more.

602115[/snapback]

I agree with the salary cap, of course it isn't happening anytime soon. Look at what the NHL is going through over a salary cap, and the player's union in baseball is alot more powerful. Not happening.

Just because you are a big spender doesn't make you a good big spender. The Baltimore franchise and (other) New York franchise prove this. You are looking at the wrong year really, as most of the big spenders of old have realized the error in their ways and are starting to cut payroll (exceptions are Orioles and Angels). The Braves, Mets somewhat, Giants, Dodgers, and Cards are all taking a step backwards payroll wise. However they are still big spenders. While I think the downtrend will continue and eventually the big two will outspend what they can acquire by way of trade, to say that just because a team has a higher payroll it bought a World Series is foolish. The Cards have a payroll of 82 mil, which isn't atrociously high but isn't low, the Cubs added payroll at 93 mil, so did the Phillies, and the Dodgers used to be 9 digits but they've been cutting back.

The Red Sox winning it all just means we don't have to listen to their pathetic fandom whine about their curse, and that now we will only be fed with the "curse of the billy coat" crap now, instead of that and the "curse of the bambino".

The only people this is bad for is Red Sox fans, as now they can live happy lives and not blame their baseball team for all their sorrows.

The Red Sox winning it all just means we don't have to listen to their pathetic fandom whine about their curse, and that now we will only be fed with the "curse of the billy coat" crap now, instead of that and the "curse of the bambino".

The only people this is bad for is Red Sox fans, as now they can live happy lives and not blame their baseball team for all their sorrows.

602505[/snapback]

LOL ... look for Cubs to buy themselves a title next, then we can get back to real baseball and not have to listen to these whiners anymore.

602115[/snapback]

I agree with the salary cap, of course it isn't happening anytime soon. Look at what the NHL is going through over a salary cap, and the player's union in baseball is alot more powerful. Not happening.

Just because you are a big spender doesn't make you a good big spender. The Baltimore franchise and (other) New York franchise prove this. You are looking at the wrong year really, as most of the big spenders of old have realized the error in their ways and are starting to cut payroll (exceptions are Orioles and Angels). The Braves, Mets somewhat, Giants, Dodgers, and Cards are all taking a step backwards payroll wise. However they are still big spenders. While I think the downtrend will continue and eventually the big two will outspend what they can acquire by way of trade, to say that just because a team has a higher payroll it bought a World Series is foolish. The Cards have a payroll of 82 mil, which isn't atrociously high but isn't low, the Cubs added payroll at 93 mil, so did the Phillies, and the Dodgers used to be 9 digits but they've been cutting back.

602474[/snapback]

There hasn't been a team, not including, the Yanks, that has outspend their competition to the extent the Sox have this year. 30 million higher than the next team...that's ridiculous.

Cubs were mid 90s this season as were the Phils, and the Angels at 100...big spenders but they don't touch Sox or Yank territory.

As far as buying a WS, they had a much higher probability to the WS than the average team because of their payroll, same goes for the Yankees.