Slimmer Floyd arrives at Mets' spring training

DurableTear

ESPN Story

Sunday, February 16

Floyd 20 pounds lighter than last season

Associated Press

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- New York Mets outfielder Cliff Floyd arrived at spring training Sunday 20 pounds lighter than last season and determined to prove somebody's scouting report wrong.

While playing for three teams last year -- the Florida Marlins, Montreal Expos and Boston Red Sox -- Floyd said he hovered around 258 pounds and drifted up to 260. He weighed in at 240 pounds Sunday after an offseason conditioning and nutrition program.

Floyd was stung during the offseason by a scouting report he read on the internet that said he had a tendency to give less than 100 percent.

"I never dogged a game,'' said Floyd, who was traded twice last July.

He signed a $26 million, four-year contract with the Mets in December and is expected to play left field and add even more punch to a lineup that already includes Mike Piazza and Mo Vaughn.

Floyd batted .288 with 28 homers, 43 doubles and 79 RBI last season for Florida, Montreal and Boston. He had a .388 on-base percentage and slugged .533.

He said he's in the best shape of his career, and new manager Art Howe was impressed by Floyd's condition during the team's minicamp in January.

"I think every year there's going to be something different where I have to go out and to prove myself to myself,'' Floyd said. "I know that from the way I've played in the game in the past it's enough to prove whoever said what they said wrong.''

All position players are to report by Tuesday, and New York's first full-squad workout is scheduled for Wednesday.