Magic's Turkoglu to serve in Turkish army

TealMonster

Magic forward Hedo Turkoglu will complete his mandatory national military service in his native Turkey by serving a one-month tour of duty in the army this summer, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

The newspaper says if Turkoglu had been living in his homeland, an 18-month stint of military service would be required.

However, the 6-foot-10 Turkoglu says he will likely find himself working behind a desk.

"They'll teach me to fire a gun, but I won't be fighting," said Turkoglu, likening it to the National Guard.

Turkoglu became the first Turkish-born player in the NBA when the Sacramento Kings selected him with the 16th pick in the 2000 draft.

Acquired by the Magic as a free agent last summer, Turkoglu is thriving in his fifth NBA season, averaging 14.1 points in nearly 27 minutes per game off Orlando's bench.

Turkoglu still has strong ties to his native country and has played on the Turkish national team during each of the past three summers.

How Turkoglu's military service affects his availability for Turkey's national team (this summer) is not known. But he still seems to be looking forward to his off-court duty.

"It will be a good honor to serve my country," he said. "I'm one of them."