A.J. Pierzynski and Jaque Jones?

The Swede

Funny, Al Leiter was just saying today how impressed he was with the way LoDuca throws out batters, but what does he know? He's only had 21 years of major league service time.

I often wonder if the haters lie to themselves about other stuff the way they do about players. Ignoring LoDuca's injuries the way they do just to make their hateful points really gets tired.

640181[/snapback]

Leiter is his new teammate, what do you expect?....

And I just LOVE the fact that if anyone has anything bad to say, you throw the fact we didnt play in the bigs right in our face like our opinion doesnt matter

If I think AJ Pierzysnki is a better player/bargain than Paul Lo Duca its my opinion

like it or not.

640323[/snapback]

What the hell do you know?

You only have a degree in Sports Management.

:plain

640334[/snapback]

well that doesnt mean much here, but thanks for the shoutout

Funny, Al Leiter was just saying today how impressed he was with the way LoDuca throws out batters, but what does he know? He's only had 21 years of major league service time.

I often wonder if the haters lie to themselves about other stuff the way they do about players. Ignoring LoDuca's injuries the way they do just to make their hateful points really gets tired.

640181[/snapback]

Leiter is his new teammate, what do you expect?....

And I just LOVE the fact that if anyone has anything bad to say, you throw the fact we didnt play in the bigs right in our face like our opinion doesnt matter

If I think AJ Pierzysnki is a better player/bargain than Paul Lo Duca its my opinion

like it or not.

640323[/snapback]

You want to get get all bent out of shape, be my guest. You want a clubhouse cancer as your catcher, that's your choice. For most rational people that's last thing they want.

Im not getting all bent out of shape but a trend I have seen over the passed week or so is the fact you like the belittle people's opinions because they didnt play ball when someone like an Al Leiter did

640433[/snapback]

Funny, a few days ago you were emailing me asking me to start posting over at Marlinszone where, if I remember your comment, the more "mature" posters posted their thoughts on our beloved Fish.

I am fed up with the infantile name-calling and BS here and if you don't like me speaking out about, that's your problem.

You should be too.

(Frankly, I think Admin ought to do the same thing other sites do, start banning people who can't make their points in a lucid manner without talking trash, but it's his board and not mine). Saying this guy blows, this one sucks, that one stinks, all the trashtalk and crap, frankly makes me sick and whether you realize it or not, is not good for the image of this board.

Not everyone is going to be Nolan Ryan. I have as much respect for Matt Perisho as I do for AJ Burnett, maybe more because he has nowhere near the skillset that AJ has but he still goes out there whenever asked and does his best. They both worked hard to make it to the bigs - that's really my core observation - you can't name a pitcher, from Glavine to Gagne that hasn't given up the "big" hit. There's no need to say the guy blows because frankly, there's thousands of guys in the minors and in independent leagues that would sell their souls to have his level of ability.

I don't believe I belittled anyone's rational comments. But when people continue to make the same assinine comments, other and over, it does get a bit boring.

Amen, Marlins2003. I am with you 100%.

People here take it personal when you don't agree with them, which in turn results in all the immature name calling...

I try to ignore it most of the time. I come here because I love the fact that there are people out there that love to talk baseball year round, and I love Admin for it... But it does get annoying when every other post is an insult, or someone getting "pwned"... It's extremely immature..

But keep the faith, brother.. Keep talking baseball.

There's as much evidence to support Pierzynski's status as a clubhouse cancer as LoDuca's as a leader. But that's the way things go. One misunderstanding and you're public enemy #1. Have the longest tenure in an organization because that team kept you in the minors until you were 26, and you are known as a character guy.

marlins03...

In regards to the Marlinzone thing, all I said was its a chance to get away from Daycare... nothing more, nothing less

I hate the namecalling of players too, I agree there.... BUT if someone says they dont believe that Lo Duca has good defense in their opinion, that doesnt make them wrong just because Al Leiter happens to think otherwise

Also, I wish Admin would remove alot of members but that aint happening

I just dont understand the Problem you guys have with LoDuca . He is an awsome baseball story . The guy hustles on every play , plays hurt , and is one of the most agresssive ball players I have seen in a long time . There are some players on our team who have triple the talent and a quarter of his heart and love for the game . I am amazed that most of you dont like to hear the "Nice Guy" song and dance, but I sure as hell love it . Baseball to me is about giving your best and overcoming odds Marlins 2003 was just that . Marlins 97 was a bought win just like every Yankees world series win for the past 10 years . I know nice guys dont win games but in 2003 the nice guys won .

As usual FishFry your arguments are based on half-truths. Yeah LoDuca struggled in September, but when you ignore the fact was playing with a broken hand and badly bruised shoulder that would have kept most players out of the lineup completely, you undermine your own argument.

How does that explain his fade jobs in '03 and '02? The Dodgers even gave him 55 games (between the 2 seasons) at 1B and LF to give him a rest.

As for AJ P, if you haven't read anywhere that he's been a difficult teammate then you haven't been reading the wrong papers.

Every paper you quote is from San Francisco. Show some quotes from Minnesota saying that he was a pain in the butt. The guy apparently didn't get along with some people in San Fran, but he got along okay in Minnesota; which doesn't mean the guy is a cancer.

Bad defense and bad attitude.

Where does the bad defense knock come from? He had a pretty good defensive rep in the AL.

I am amazed that most of you dont like to hear the "Nice Guy" song and dance, but I sure as hell love it . Baseball to me is about giving your best and overcoming odds Marlins 2003 was just that . Marlins 97 was a bought win just like every Yankees world series win for the past 10 years . I know nice guys dont win games but in 2003 the nice guys won .

I don't want to hear the "nice guy" song and dance, because it's nothing but a cop-out to cover for incompetence. Baseball is about winning. 2003 wouldn't have been so nice for you had the Marlins not even made the playoffs.

Also, how the hell can any supposed Marlins fan say that 1997 was a "bought win"? I'd expect to hear that crap from Yankee or Indian fans, but not a Marlins fan. Charles Johnson, Luis Castillo, Edgar Renteria, Kurt Abbott, Tony Saunders, Pat Rapp, Livan Hernandez, Robb Nen, Jay Powell, Felix Heredia, Jeff Conine, and Gary Sheffield all were either developed by the Marlins or had spent significant time in the organization. Al Leiter, Kevin Brown, and Devon White were all on the 1996 team.

In 2002, if you add up all the games LoDuca played at various positions, it adds up to 164 games (two more than a full season), in 2003 151 games. That's quite a load for a guy who is essentially a catcher.

I did not purposely ignore articles on AJP in Minnesota, but I was unwilling to pay $$$ to acquire articles from 2003 newspaper archives when there were any number of articles available about his attitude in 2004. It's your contention (if I read you properly) that his inability to connect with his teammates on the west coast was their fault and not his, mine is that a leopard doesn't change its spots and his behavorial issues aren't going to change wherever he plays.

Obviously he's a bonafide major leaguer but I think it speaks volumes that he's remains unsigned when so many teams could use a starting catcher, especially one who can hit. And when the Giants sign a Matheny to be their starting catcher rather than re-sign AJP, I think that only strengthens my case.

"Baseball is about winning. 2003 wouldn't have been so nice for you had the Marlins not even made the playoffs."

Fish Fry your attitude is commendable , I do think your rooting for the wrong team though , If winning is everything Yankees might be the team for you . Every year is nice for me watching a sport and a team that I love with friends and family , Playoffs is a bonus and World Series is even better . Unless you make a living off your team making the playoffs , you need to sit back and enjoy the game drink a couple brews and enjoy the great plays and the close calls , now to me thats what baseball is about .

About 85% of the fans on this board picked LoDuca over AJ Pierzynski- enough said. I would take LoDuca in a heartbeat.

640625[/snapback]

That's why they don't run a front office and hopefully one day Matt (Maverick) will. In this case he couldn't be more correct. This franchise can't afford to give LoDuca $6-7 Million a year because he's a nice guy. The truth is he's a 32-year-old catcher who will make more than Mike Lowell to hit 6th and play average defense. He was with us for half a season, it's not like our front office owes him anything like they owed Lowell his 4-year deal.

Pierzynski was a productive player with the Twins, so it isn't as if he can't hit. He also had a good attitude with the Twins, so it isn't as if he were a bad person. For $3 Million a year, I'd say the much younger Pierzynski is the much better bargain. Not only that, but it opens up a better chance for a Magglio Ordonez. If we can move LoDuca and Encarnacion both, we have Ordonez in right field and Pierzynski at catcher. I wouldn't say that's all that bad, would you?

"Baseball is about winning. 2003 wouldn't have been so nice for you had the Marlins not even made the playoffs."

Fish Fry your attitude is commendable , I do think your rooting for the wrong team though , If winning is everything Yankees might be the team for you . Every year is nice for me watching a sport and a team that I love with friends and family , Playoffs is a bonus and World Series is even better . Unless you make a living off your team making the playoffs , you need to sit back and enjoy the game drink a couple brews and enjoy the great plays and the close calls , now to me thats what baseball is about .

640677[/snapback]

Amen....great post.

No one is suggesting that the only reason LoDuca is favored over AJP is because he's a nice guy, but rather overall he's the better ballplayer. Basing your argument on a false premise no doubt makes it easier for you but answer this for me Wild or FishFry...

...if AJP is such a quality guy (both on the field and in the clubhouse) why doesn't he have a half dozen offers for his services? Why aren't teams falling all over themselves to sign him? Why would the Giants chose a Matheny over him if they want to improve their team?

No one is suggesting that the only reason LoDuca is favored over AJP is because he's a nice guy, but rather overall he's the better ballplayer. Basing your argument on a false premise no doubt makes it easier for you but answer this for me Wild or FishFry...

...if AJP is such a quality guy (both on the field and in the clubhouse) why doesn't he have a half dozen offers for his services? Why aren't teams falling all over themselves to sign him? Why would the Giants chose a Matheny over him if they want to improve their team?

640708[/snapback]

A) You don't see anyone falling over to sign Magglio Ordonez or Carlos Delgado, either. I guess it's because they aren't quality ballplayers, huh?

B) Mike Matheny is a proven gold glove catcher. They improved on the defensive front, something Sabean is very fond of.

since we dont have a catcher in the minors, it would be nice to sign Pierzysnki to a 2-4 year deal and have him locked up thru his prime years

640712[/snapback]

Willingham??

I think the ideal situation is to have Lo Duca for a year or two, while Willingham works on his defense in the minors. Once he's ready, he can take over and hopefully be our backstop for years.

640708[/snapback]

A) You don't see anyone falling over to sign Magglio Ordonez or Carlos Delgado, either. I guess it's because they aren't quality ballplayers, huh?

And Mike Matheny is a proven gold glove catcher. They improved on the defensive front, something Sabean is very fond of.

640711[/snapback]

Maggs is coming off a knee injury after having experimental surgery in Europe and no one wants to take a chance on a longterm contract with him. Delgado wants a fortune.

So you think Brian Sabean gave up a catcher who's lifetime batting average is 50 points higher than his replacement because the replacement is a better catcher? Then explain why they both have .999 fielding % in 2004? How do you improve on a .999 fielding %?

I'm still waiting for an answer to my questions? Why no offers for the guy? huh?

since we dont have a catcher in the minors, it would be nice to sign Pierzysnki to a 2-4 year deal and have him locked up thru his prime years

640712[/snapback]

Willingham??

I think the ideal situation is to have Lo Duca for a year or two, while Willingham works on his defense in the minors. Once he's ready, he can take over and hopefully be our backstop for years.

640715[/snapback]

Why waste Willy's bat in the minors for 2 years?.... Does he really need to lead the minors in OBP again?.... The fact is that he isnt going to be an everday catcher ever. He is already 26 and with Stokes scuffiling in the minors, as well as Conine aging the majors, he should/could get legit at bats at 1B and become a pretty good one at that

There is no reason to wait till Willy is almost 29 to bring him up

I'm just telling you what the plan is, based on everything I've read...

And I'm not ready to give up on Conine. He had a bum shoulder last year, but I still think he can be a productive bat in the lineup... But I agree. If Willingham is ready, offensively, let's call him up.

It's your contention (if I read you properly) that his inability to connect with his teammates on the west coast was their fault and not his,

That's not my contention at all. I don't see how you could've even made that jump. I'm just saying that while he might not have gotten along well with Giants players, but you heard nothing about him having beefs with Twins players, so you can't say that, all of a sudden, the guy is a cancer.

Obviously he's a bonafide major leaguer but I think it speaks volumes that he's remains unsigned when so many teams could use a starting catcher, especially one who can hit.

The guy got let go last week. Give the guy time to negotiate a deal, before you declare him damaged goods. If the Red Sox released Manny Ramirez, it's quite doubtful that he'd be re-signed in less than a week short of the Yankees coming in with an overwhelming offer.

I don't have any links or sources to back this up.... however, when the Giants traded for Pierzynski, I do remember hearing a lot of talk about how he'd fit in due to his reputation... He was known for having a bad attitude before he went to San Francisco. I'll try to find something to post a link to...

That's not my contention at all. I don't see how you could've even made that jump. I'm just saying that while he might not have gotten along well with Giants players, but you heard nothing about him having beefs with Twins players, so you can't say that, all of a sudden, the guy is a cancer.

With the Twins AJ DP (as Giants fans know him) got away with much more. He came up through the Twins system, along with almost everyone else who bloomed for them right around 2001.

With the Giants he came to a team that is more professional and/ or geriatric, depending on your slant. He couldn't get away with being the loudmouthed kid from Brooklyn in that kind of clubhouse.

Sabes mistake, and it makes me appreciate former Dodger Paul Delucca all the more.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.