Roberto Alomar joining Cards?

CardsJimEdmonds15

Alomar to Cardinals: Roberto Alomar, whose Hall of Fame career first sputtered with the Mets, has agreed on a one-year contract with the NL champion Cardinals, Newsday has learned. A person familiar with the situation said St. Louis manager Tony La Russa personally called to recruit Alomar, but the one-year deal, worth $500,000 plus incentives, is not guaranteed.

Here

If this is true then it's a solid move I suppose.. Cardinals sure are interested in non-healthy players.. Oh well.. Maybe the magic will get worked again this coming year.. Hmmm

Cards sign Alomar, report says

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa has had several conversations with free agent infielder Roberto Alomar over the past week, and according to a report in a New York newspaper, those have led to Alomar signing with the team.

Alomar, 36, agreed to a one-year deal with the Cardinals, a report in today's edition of Newsday says.

The Cardinals officials who were reached did not know if the deal was finalized. The team has considered Alomar for its vacant second base position since losing Tony Womack to the Yankees, and recently the team began discussions with Alomar, a former All-Star.

"We've been discussing it," La Russa said Wednesday. "I've talked to him, just to get a reference - something I do with a lot of players. Just a chance to talk to him, see where he is at this point. And to tell him what we need and see if he fits our club."

[More in URL]

washed.

up.

644788[/snapback]

Tony Womack was proclaimed "washed up" aswell.. He went out there and performed decent to prove everyone wrong and was a key part to the Cards even making the playoffs let alone getting to the WS.. Just saying.. People should be careful what they say.. Players usually turn in a magical season when they put on that St. Louis jersey :thumbup

I'm not sure what's to come of this move if it's official but certainly for that price it's worth the small risk..

washed.

up.

644788[/snapback]

Tony Womack was proclaimed "washed up" aswell.. He went out there and performed decent to prove everyone wrong and was a key part to the Cards even making the playoffs let alone getting to the WS.. Just saying.. People should be careful what they say.. Players usually turn in a magical season when they put on that St. Louis jersey :thumbup

I'm not sure what's to come of this move if it's official but certainly for that price it's worth the small risk..

644838[/snapback]

meh. Womack was washed up cuz of injury.

he just stinks

we'll see

Bingo..

If this works with Alomar, good

If this doesnt work with Alomar, no loss..

It's not even a guarenteed contract from what I've been hearing.. Who knows if he'd even make the team!

This reminds me of getting Roger Cedeno.. Almost everyone was down on that trade and saying he's old and wont help the team (Same thing was said about Womack).. I believe there is a chance Robbie could be a solid bench player that could help the Cards.. Nothin more.. Nothin less!

Cards Deny Alomar Report

Roberto Alomar hit .263 with the Diamondbacks and White Sox in 2004. (Brian Kersey/AP)

ST. LOUIS -- Cardinals fans may have been surprised on Thursday to read that Roberto Alomar would be their team's new second baseman, but they weren't the only ones caught unawares. The team's front office was also puzzled by a report in a New York-area newspaper that said Alomar had agreed to a one-year contract with St. Louis.

A team official said Thursday that, while the Cards are in discussions with Alomar about their vacancy at second base, no deal is done and several other options are being considered for the opening. The team does not expect to sign a second baseman before New Year's Day. Newsday reported in Thursday's editions that the well-traveled switch-hitter had agreed to a non-guaranteed $500,000 contract.

Alomar, who will be 37 by the start of Spring Training, is a lifetime .300 hitter who should receive serious Hall of Fame consideration when his career is over. However, his performance has waned since a dazzling 2001 season when he finished fourth in MVP balloting.

[More in URL]

That's why I never believe anything until it's official.. Another BS story coming outta New York.. If this does happen after the 1st then it does.. Still say the Cards are gonna get Cora or Cairo..

• 3 weeks later...

La Russa returns home; Alomar to decide soon..

By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

La Russa echoed general manager Walt Jocketty's comments that the Cards remain in discussions with potential Hall of Famer Roberto Alomar. The team believes Alomar may make a decision on his 2005 destination before the week is out, and La Russa cautioned that Alomar wouldn't necessarily be a backup if he were to sign.

"Did somebody give Grudzielanek second base? I didn't," he said. "You know what's healthy? You come to camp and guys compete. If guys want gifts and guarantees, it's not realistic for the team.

"One thing about (Grudzielanek) is, he's an athlete. I can get him at-bats all over. I don't know if I can get Robbie at-bats anywhere but second. (Grudzielanek) might be the second baseman. He might be a guy that can get 400 at-bats playing four or five positions."

I'm almost certain it sounds like Alomar could be coming.. I like it.. Competition for the 2b job again.. Nice.. We'll see soon where he goes.. It's not like he's gonna cost much at the rumored non guarenteed deal.

Alomar's very close to signing with the Rays I read, so they can block another good youngster in Cantu. What a franchise. :plain :banghead :rolleyes:

edit: confirmed...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1968838

what a joke. The D Rays should sign Esteban Loaiza and Shayne Reynolds now and send down Brazelton and Kazmir to the minors. :plain

Alomar's very close to signing with the Rays I read, so they can block another good youngster in Cantu. What a franchise. :plain :banghead :rolleyes:

657967[/snapback]

Gotta love Lou though... he said he rather have Alomar at 2nd than Cantu...

:banghead

At least we'll get some prospects when Kenny Williams decides to trade for him again around midseason.

:plain

Where are you Stu?

I hope you have a better plan in spending that $60 million dollar payroll in 2006... :confused

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.