Angels Baseball announces official name change

SuperAngels

Angels Baseball announces official name change

ANAHEIM, CA - Angels Baseball Monday announced the team has changed its official name to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. This change is effective January 3, 2005.

The inclusion of Los Angeles reflects the original expansion name awarded by Major League Baseball in December 1960 and again returns the Angels as Major League Baseball's American League representative in the Greater Los Angeles territory that Major League Baseball expects the team to serve.

The Los Angeles region, which is comprised of Orange, Los Angeles, Ventura, San Bernardino, and Riverside Counties, is the second largest media market in the country. This name change will strengthen the Angels' long-term economic health by enhancing the marketability through this metropolitan area and beyond.

Angels Baseball and the "A" brand will continue to be the marketing focus of the organization and Angels Stadium of Anaheim remains the home of the 2004 defending American League Western Division Champions.

The Angels have enjoyed tremendous success in Anaheim, highlighted by a World Championship in 2002. The organization will continue to work closely with the City of Anaheim in promoting the Anaheim community, Angel Stadium of Anaheim, and the Angels' baseball experience.

Guest Moneyball

If this is for marketing why didn't they change their name to the Pacific Time Zone Angels.

I'm a proud supporter of the Miami Marlins of Florida. :plain

This could start a horrific trend...

If this is for marketing why didn't they change their name to the Pacific Time Zone Angels.

I'm a proud supporter of the Miami Marlins of Florida. :plain

This could start a horrific trend...

646788[/snapback]

And I'm a proud supporter of 3 teams... St. Petersburg Devil Rays of Tampa Bay, Miami Marlins of Florida and the Toronto Blue Jays of Ontario, Canada :plain

Guest Moneyball

I also support the Oakland Athletics of California and hate the Bronx Yankees of New York.

The Washington Nationals of the District of Columbia will begin play next year.

It will be LAD and LAA.

Makes sense, should the Mets be the Flushing Mets?

The Rams played in Anaheim and were called the Los Angeles Rams.

The Clippers played games at the Pond and were called the Los Angeles Clippers.

Edit: It may stay as ANA according to some ticker agencies.

Guest Moneyball

It will be LAD and LAA.

Makes sense, should the Mets be the Flushing Mets?

The Rams played in Anaheim and were called the Los Angeles Rams.

The Clippers played games at the Pond and were called the Los Angeles Clippers.

646805[/snapback]

Flushing Mets of New York.

They usually do go down the drain so I like this name change.

Guest Moneyball

The nickname Angels comes from LA's minor league team which was named after the City of Angels which is Los Angeles.

646809[/snapback]

:plain

It's coming eventually:

The Auburn Hills Pistons of Detroit

The Bronx Yankees of New York

The Tempe Cardinals of Phoenix

The Irving Cowboys of Dallas

The Orchard Park Bills of Buffalo

The Minneapolis Twins of Minnesota

The St. Paul Wild of Minnesota

The East Rutherford Giants of New York

The East Rutherford Jets of New York

The East Rutherford Devils of New Jersey

The East Rutherford Nets of New Jersey

and finally my2 favorites:

The Arlington Rangers of Texas of Dallas

The Foxboro Patriots of New England of Boston

:plain

:no It's hideous.

What a marketing disaster. According to this article, the City of Anaheim is outraged, and are filing a suit to revert the name back to Anaheim Angels. Quite frankly, I hope they win.

Monday, January 3, 2005

City officials: Change breaks lease

?

Associated Press

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Baseball's Angels have a new name, and it's a mouthful: The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

The switch, which will be challenged in court by the city of Anaheim, is intended to help the team market itself to more of Southern California, attract more advertising sponsors and broadcast revenue, the team said Monday.

"We believe that the appeal in the marketplace will be broader," Angels spokesman Tim Mead said.

The city of Anaheim will file a lawsuit to block the name change and hopes to obtain a temporary restraining order in place this week, city spokesman John Nicoletti said.

Anaheim officials believe the change violates the terms of the team's 33-year lease with the city.

"It's geographically confusing and absurd," Nicoletti said. "No other professional sports franchise that I know of has two different cities in its names."

When the franchise began in 1961, owned by singing cowboy Gene Autry, it was the Los Angeles Angels. The team became the California Angels when it moved to Anaheim in 1966. In 1997, when the team was controlled by The Walt Disney Co., the franchise was renamed the Anaheim Angels.

Arte Moreno bought the team in 2003, one year after it won the World Series, and he wanted to change the name.

The Angels drew 3,375,677 last season, the third-highest total in baseball behind the New York Yankees and Los Angeles Dodgers.

ESPN.com