Franchise and Mobley

Fish Tank Frenzy

I had a friend a couple years ago who knew several players in the NBA. One time, they were telling him about a number of players who were widely rumored in NBA circles to be gay. Two of said players were Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley, who were not only rumored to be gay, but also lovers. Each of the following quotes were made by Francis in response to the recent trade. Anyone doubt me now?

"They shouldn't have traded him," Francis said after a 119-101 loss to the Boston Celtics on Monday night, adding that he was emotionally drained and distracted during the game."

"I can't put it into words," he said. "Playing with a guy, living with a guy, just knowing that every day when I wake up that's something I can count on, that I'm going to be in practice or in a game with Cuttino.

"Him not being here is going to be tough for me. I don't know what I'm going to wake up for."

"They messed up something that started so good, man,"

"You don't wait 30 minutes before a game to tell a guy he's traded," Francis said. "The way you handle relationships (emphasis added), for me, is going to change the way that I approach the game, more businesslike than anything."