My trade idea

Iowa

I'm not one that throws out magical trade ideas, so shoot me down if necessary.

IF we get Carlos Delgado, tell me what you think of this trade idea.

We've heard that Baltimore is interested in Aubrey Huff and has, reportedly, offered Eric Bedard and Jerry Hairston, JR. If this is enough, I don't know... so here's my idea. IF we get Delgado, Stokes is available (i would assume)... and Balitmore is, reportedly, shopping BJ Ryan.

So what about this:

Baltimore gets: Aubrey Huff, Juan Encarnacion

Tampa Bay gets: Eric Bedard, Jerry Hairston Jr, Jason Stokes

Florida gets: BJ Ryan

Yes? No? Maybe so?

My guess is, if he's healthy, Encarnacion plays right field and stays with the team until the mid-season trading deadline when his contract value will be a more affordable $2+ million (so the Marlins, if necessary, can more easily eat part of it if required).

The same goes for Stokes. Absent an injury to one of our core players I believe the Marlins will look to Stokes to have a good year in the minors and be tradebait for whatever need arises at mid-season.

IF we get delgado, its going to create a problem for the team, because encarnacion and his 4 million dollar salary cannot be on the bench. But neither should conine, and as much as many people on the board think niner is washed up, he proved people wrong in the 2nd half and hes going to have his shoulder feeling better this year. Niner is too good to be on the bench and enc is too expensive and arguable also too good to be on the bench

I think it works out perfect for all 3 teams..

Balitmore has to take Enc's contract (4.5 mil) to get Huff (4.5 mil)

Pretty impressive list of products for Tampa Bay.. A 1B prospect, which they dont have (i think), and a future stud Eric Bedard at pitching along wtih Jerry Hairston... if they were to get rid of Huff for prospects, this would be as best as they could do.

Florida rids of Encarnacion contract and also get a top of the line LH releiver, which we don't have... we have a decent bullpen, but if we get Delgado, it will still be our weakness.. You say we could get more for Stokes but would we be able to get rid of Enc's contract?

CL - Mota

SU - Spooney

SU - Ryan

MR - Alfonseca

MR - Riedling

MR - Jones

MR - Perisho

Just a thought.. if i were GM, I'd do it! ;)

Two things:

1) I don't understand why people are saying "give Encarnacion away and pay the team to take him." First of all, Encarnacion is our best defensive outfielder if for no other reason, he is a great late innings defensive replacement for Cabrera in right (if we get Delgado). Secondly, he can play all three outfield positions, so that makes him great injury insurance especially for Pierre...we have no one else who can play center. And, this is important to remember, he has the best speed on the team following Pierre and Castillo, so if nothing else, he could be a very important pinch runner for Lowell or Conine late in a game. Plus, he's on a one year deal, it's not like we have to get out from under an albatross of a contract like Wilson or CJ.

2) There is no way you could convince the Orioles to give up BJ Ryan and Bedard (who would net them Barry Zito if they really wanted to) and then tell them, on top of that, they have to eat Encarnacion's salary...for Aubrey Huff, who is an inferior option to Carlos Delgado (who they'd simply have to sign, and still have Bedard and Ryan).

If we get Delgado, Stokes is likely trade-bait, but the teams that seem to have had him high on their wish lists are the D'Backs, Mets, and at one time, the Rangers. With the exception of the Mets, Encarnacion would be given playing time with either of those teams, so they may actually like the idea of getting Stokes and Encarnacion, but I don't know what we'd want in return...nor do I think we could ask for much if we're getting Encarnacion's salary fully paid, but is it worth giving up Stokes who could get us some serious help at the deadline (at the very least, a closer if Mota or Alfonseca struggles)?

I never said pay them to take encarnacion.. We NEED to get rid of him if we land Delgado, like it or not.

and its reported they are offering Bedard and Hairston for Huff and they've been shopping Ryan for sometime now... so im just adding on to that. i dont think it's as far-fetched as you make it out to be.

and you say they would simply sign Delgado.. Huff and Enc will total around 9 mil subtract 1.3 mil from Ryan so thats about 7.5 mil compared to 12 mil from Delgado. Plus Encarnacion would start for them or atleast platoon with Gibbons..which is more than we can offer him.

its all moot anyway.. when have any of the proposed trades on this message board actually happened? lol!

I never said pay them to take encarnacion.. We NEED to get rid of him if we land Delgado, like it or not.

and its reported they are offering Bedard and Hairston for Huff and they've been shopping Ryan for sometime now... so im just adding on to that. i dont think it's as far-fetched as you make it out to be.

and you say they would simply sign Delgado.. Huff and Enc will total around 9 mil subtract 1.3 mil from Ryan so thats about 7.5 mil compared to 12 mil from Delgado. Plus Encarnacion would start for them or atleast platoon with Gibbons..which is more than we can offer him.

its all moot anyway.. when have any of the proposed trades on this message board actually happened? lol!

655730[/snapback]

I proposed trading for Jeff Conine 2 or 3 months before it happened. :mischief

Why not trade Encarnacion and Stokes for an offensive threat? The pitching staff is already set. Bump, Wayne, Hutchinson, Kensing, Messenger, Bentz, Castillo and Hagerty are a good cast to be fighting it out for the 6th (and 7th?) seat in the bullpen.

Surely there has to be a lefty-hitting outfielder on the block that could compliment Conine.

If some think a player of B.J. Ryan can be acquired for Enc and Stokes, you can get a lefty-hitting outfielder capable of .280/.340/.430.

I don't think such a package could net Ryan, but I would atleast pursue trading Enc and a prospect for someone better (.260/.320/.400). Encarnacion was a marginal starter and is not going to be any better off the bench. Why would he? If you can pick one up, you do it. We still have Aguila to play defense. And a better lefty bat off the bench than Lenny Harris or Derek Wathan for pinch-hitting duties.