Closer or set up man?

prorl

I'm rootiong for Mota. He's paid his dues and deserves a decent chance as Closer.

But, don't over-look Alfonseca (who gave me mini-heart-attacks.) He is a very proud man of good character who wants to be the Closer.

I will not be surprised to see Alfonseca a successful Closer for us.

You hit it on the head Cangelosi

Look at Mota's splits for the last 2 years.... he was dominant in innings 1-80 (April-August) but has seriously struggled in September the last two years (innings 80-100).

As a closer, he will only pitch about 60-70 innings... I think he will be an oustanding closer.

I think Mota will make a terrific closer. The guy is dominating. If it wasent for Gagne he would have been closer in LA. I expect Mota to be the closer for the whole season as long as he doesent get injured.

On Alfonseca i am still not sold on him. He pitched great when he was with the Marlins (the first time), but when he went to Chicago he really struggled, really struggled. He has not been the same since he left FL. However he did have a better season last year than the 2 years before so maybe he has started to figure things out. But i am still not convinced until i see him pitch again for us, i just dont trust him and his 6 fingers, very suspicious. Dont think Alfonseca should be set up man or closer.

So since it looks like Mota will be closer, who is the set up man? Is it Alfonseca or someone else? Or is management still looking at free agency or trades?

Look at Mota's splits for the last 2 years.... he was dominant in innings 1-80 (April-August) but has seriously struggled in September the last two years (innings 80-100).

As a closer, he will only pitch about 60-70 innings... I think he will be an oustanding closer.

655646[/snapback]

Anyone who was Gagne's setup man has the potential to be a great closer. Mota learned a lot from Gagne, especially the killer changeup.

655646[/snapback]

What if he pitches 70-75 innings and the Marlins make the playoffs? Will he fall apart there?

Does a tree that falls in the forest when nobody is around make a noise?

hell man, i dont know. thats why i like the idea of getting Ryan (if we get delgad). The deeper the bullpen, the better.

maybe, who knows. you saw flash gordon wear down in the playoffs but that guy was so overused. we have a pretty deep bullpen.. if we don't overuse him, he should be fine, imo.

655646[/snapback]

What if he pitches 70-75 innings and the Marlins make the playoffs? Will he fall apart there?

655662[/snapback]

The key here is that if we have solid guys to pitch the 7th and 8th innings, like alfonseca, jones or even spooney, then mota wont have to be pitching 2 or 3 inning saves. and if mota pitches 75 innings during the season and pitches 20 in the post season, he still wont get to 100. So wise management of mota is necessary. So is consitency from the other bullpen pitchers

I love fairy stories... the fact is we are again putting in a critical situation a guy who hasn't had a good history at that position. Look how good that went with someone named Ramon Castro... :thumbdown

656120[/snapback]

That's why Alfonseca's here, it's Mota's job to lose, or Alfonseca's to win, with Spooney as a dark-horse...not the worst situation to be in if you have a limited amount of money to spend.

Don't be surprised by the old bullpen by committee. Jones and Alfonseca both have been closers and could IMO do it again in limited situations. Mota has shown he's an effective reliever and maybe he can nail down the closers job. My hope is that the starters can make it 6-7 innings so the bullpen can hold down the lead.