Derek Lowe has ball that ended 2004 ALCS

Accord

Derek Lowe has the ball which was the last out of the 2004 ALCS, ironically Doug Mientkiewicz gave the ball to Derek Lowe :lol .

I think Lowe deserves to keep the ball, unlike Mientkiewicz, considering the fact that Lowe was the winning pitcher in game 7 of the ALCS.

While Boston Red Sox first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz made the front page of Saturday's New York Times because he has the baseball from the final out of his team's World Series- clinching victory, another baseball nearly as important is in Fort Myers.

Former Red Sox pitcher Derek Lowe, the winning pitcher in Game 7 of the American League Championship Series, has the ball used for the final out. It's resting on a mantle in his home, Lowe said Saturday morning.

Although the Red Sox have asked Mientkiewicz, a former Estero resident, to return the ball, Lowe hasn't been asked to give back the final out from the deciding game against the New York Yankees in Yankee Stadium.

"I wouldn't give it back," Lowe said after an informal workout at the Lee County Sports Complex. "I don't think the ALCS ball is probably as important as a World Series ball."

Lowe spoke Saturday only a few hours after signing a free-agent deal with the Los Angeles Dodgers. The final out of Game 7 of the ALCS was a ground ball to Red Sox second baseman Pokey Reese, who fired it to Mientkiewicz.

"While we were still on the field, Mientkiewicz gave me the ball," Lowe said. "This time he got the ball and kept it."

Did Lowe have teammates autograph his keepsake ball? Did he sign it?

"Heck, no," Lowe said. "I kind of put real small, in pen, what the ball is from because you know in 10 years you may not remember what (it is). It's a dirty baseball."

But a special one. It's not as special, though, as the World Series ball, a treasure from Boston's first World Series victory since 1918.

Lowe is surprised by the hullabaloo over Mientkiewicz retaining the World Series ball.

"It's such a touchy situation," Lowe said. "You can see both sides. The organization wants the ball. It's been 86 years. But then again as a player, it's you've never won a World Series before and you have a ball from the last out recorded from a World Series game. Like I said you could see both sides."

The Red Sox have publicly requested the return of the World Series ball.

"You just hope it doesn't get ugly," Lowe said. "I mean, it's definitely his right to the ball. Just like I have the ball from Game 7 of the ALCS."

Lowe doesn't plan to part with his baseball. What about Mientkiewicz and his ball?

"Doug would only know," Lowe said. "I don't think his intention was to keep the ball. I know he made a joking comment that he was going to put his kid through school but I think it's more of a showcase more than anything that you have the ball. I think hopefully that's his intent, not to sell it in 20 years."

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../501090431/1075

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.