Carlos Delgado

Guest Jack1

I don't care what his political views are, all I care about is his performance on the field. He is not standing for God Bless America, BIG DEAL, last time I checked, God Bless America was not our national anthem. It's a great song and I proudly stand for it, but if Delgado doesn't want to, that's his perogative.

You guys need to be concerned about the political views of the legislators and others in a position of power, not professional athletes.

This thread should be closed or moved to the BullPen forum, we don't need this garbage in the main Marlins board.

670603[/snapback]

Thank you, this these treads are so stupid. He stood for the NATIONAL ANTHEM. He's just standing up for his beliefs and if you people can't understand that then you are missing one of America's greatest freedoms. I don't care what he does as long as he peforms well on the field.

Hey Kiddies...if you are so against Delgado taking a stand ask yourself why? Is it because you have been brainwashed by mommy and daddy? Is it because you have been brainwashed by politicians and media that have you believing that Iraq is the result of 9/11?

Hey, that's unfair. I believe you are preaching what you know in your heart is right. You believe the war is right. You believe the cost in lives and money is unfortunate but needed. I urge you to do one thing and that is to really stand up for your beliefs and join the Military. Go fight this war on terrorism...in Iraq. Go make Osama pay for what he did....in Iraq.

Don't ask others to die for your beliefs. Don't knock people for standing up for what they think is right when the only thing you are willing to do is allow others to die for your cause.

670543[/snapback]

This is one of the most ignorant things I have ever read. The 'if your pro war in Iraq join the military" argument is idiotic. Why? B/c not standing up for god bless america as a sign of protest is not a life altering decision. Delgado still wakes up in the morning, takes his bP, and plays in games. Lets say mike lowell is pro war, should he quit baseball and join the military? Of course not, its not that clear cut and anyone who thinks it is, is an imbecil. Did your mommy and daddy tell you the war is wrong or did the media and politicians convince you? The same way you say we should respect delgago for his beliefs, you need to respect other people's beliefs. The people in our volunteer army do what they do so other people dont have to be forced into it via the draft. No one is askign you as someone who is anti-war to quit your job and go on a protest march until the war ends, so dont be a moron and ask someone who believes the war is right to join the military.

Boy! Is this country in trouble! Terrorism is why we are in Iraq, id#&$s!

Good luck this summer Marlin fans! I'll keep on a lurking but personally, I hope Delgado has a lousy season. He doesn't mind making all that money here but he hates the country....please send him back to wherever the hell he came from!

670488[/snapback]

dude ur an idiot go back to new york u loser!! :thumbdown

Hey Kiddies...if you are so against Delgado taking a stand ask yourself why? Is it because you have been brainwashed by mommy and daddy? Is it because you have been brainwashed by politicians and media that have you believing that Iraq is the result of 9/11?

Hey, that's unfair. I believe you are preaching what you know in your heart is right. You believe the war is right. You believe the cost in lives and money is unfortunate but needed. I urge you to do one thing and that is to really stand up for your beliefs and join the Military. Go fight this war on terrorism...in Iraq. Go make Osama pay for what he did....in Iraq.

Don't ask others to die for your beliefs. Don't knock people for standing up for what they think is right when the only thing you are willing to do is allow others to die for your cause.

670543[/snapback]

This is one of the most ignorant things I have ever read. The 'if your pro war in Iraq join the military" argument is idiotic. Why? B/c not standing up for god bless america as a sign of protest is not a life altering decision. Delgado still wakes up in the morning, takes his bP, and plays in games. Lets say mike lowell is pro war, should he quit baseball and join the military? Of course not, its not that clear cut and anyone who thinks it is, is an imbecil. Did your mommy and daddy tell you the war is wrong or did the media and politicians convince you? The same way you say we should respect delgago for his beliefs, you need to respect other people's beliefs. The people in our volunteer army do what they do so other people dont have to be forced into it via the draft. No one is askign you as someone who is anti-war to quit your job and go on a protest march until the war ends, so dont be a moron and ask someone who believes the war is right to join the military.

670647[/snapback]

It would be nice if professional athletes of today were more like those of years past like Ted Williams, Bob Feller, Hank Greenberg, Harmon Killebrew, etc.

They dropped their bats, picked up a rifle, and joined the military.

Its easy to be pro-war when you are the one who doesn't have to go fight it. Do you think all the people who are over there fighting were "pro-war"? I am sure a percentage of the people over there signed up for the reserves just for money for college, never thinking what happend did. So its easy to be pro-war when its not your blood, your kids' blood, your husbands' or wives' blood that is being shed.

Good luck this summer Marlin fans! I'll keep on a lurking but personally, I hope Delgado has a lousy season. He doesn't mind making all that money here but he hates the country....please send him back to wherever the hell he came from!

670488[/snapback]

I hope you die. :mischief

Its easy to be pro-war when you are the one who doesn't have to go fight it. Do you think all the people who are over there fighting were "pro-war"? I am sure a percentage of the people over there signed up for the reserves just for money for college, never thinking what happend did. So its easy to be pro-war when its not your blood, your kids' blood, your husbands' or wives' blood that is being shed.

670923[/snapback]

When you sign up to be a soldier, you understand that you might have to do things you don't want to. If you don't want to fight, don't go to war.

670488[/snapback]

:ban

You guys do realize you're arguing for nothing, since he didn't stand because he was protesting Missile Testing in Puerto Rico and not Iraq right?

And if he wants to protest, I'm 100% fine with that. It's what the soldiers fight for. And it's not like God Bless America means anything, it's just a song that happens to be about the country. It's not the national anthem and therefore should not be treated as such.

Delgado to stand for God Bless America

TSN.ca Staff

1/15/2005

Carlos Delgado may be willing to stand during God Bless America after all.

Last season, Delgado raised some eyebrows when he refused to stand for God Bless America in Yankee Stadium to show his opposition to the war in Iraq.But according to a report in Newsday, the free agent slugger has told teams he will stand for the song if his new team requests it.

"There was no team policy in Toronto regarding the issue of standing for 'God Bless America,' " Delgado's agent, David Sloane, said in an e-mail interview Friday with the newspaper. "Therefore Carlos felt it was permissible for him to express his displeasure with the politicalization of baseball.

Yeah I mean what would TSN or Sloane know about getting facts right, right?

669651[/snapback]

Stand-up guy: Delgado protests during 'God Bless America'

July 21, 2004

SportsLine.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- Fervently anti-war, Carlos Delgado quietly carried out his personal protest this season, refusing to stand when God Bless America was played at ballparks across the majors.

Most fans never saw him disappearing up the dugout tunnel or staying in the dugout. And even teammates who disagreed with the Toronto slugger's political stance accepted his right to call the United States' invasion of Iraq "the stupidest war ever."

Oh, I also guess Delgado is also wrong about what he was protesting too.

669655[/snapback]

"But I think it's the stupidest war ever. Who are you fighting against? You're just getting ambushed now. We have more people dead now after the war than during the war," he said. "I don't support what they do. It's just stupid."

Delgado, from Puerto Rico, also opposed the U.S. military's longtime use of the Puerto Rican island of Vieques for weapons testing.

His opinion became more well known to New York fans in a column in the New York Times on Wednesday. In it, he said, "It takes a man to stand up for what he believes."

"I am not pro-war; I'm anti-war," he said. "I'm for peace."

So he opposed this bombing off PR, doesn't sound like he does anymore.

So are you still going to say he didn't stand solely in protest of something he used to oppose?

669685[/snapback]

You guys do realize you're arguing for nothing, since he didn't stand because he was protesting Missile Testing in Puerto Rico and not Iraq right?

670985[/snapback]

You were saying?

670923[/snapback]

When you sign up to be a soldier, you understand that you might have to do things you don't want to. If you don't want to fight, don't go to war.

670933[/snapback]

Phishphan, why the hell do you think the govt pays people for college or what not when they join the reserves? So that if a war starts whether thye like it or not they are the ones that are sent to fight. If the military wouldnt pay people no one would join, but the reason those benefits are given is so we have people to go out there and fight so there doesnt have to be a draft. I got friends and family out there, and am very proud of them. A person who signs up to get military benefiits and thne doesnt go to war even though they're sending him/her is arrested. Why? Because thats scamming the govt out of taxpayer money. By the way Juanky I too thought that delgado was protesting the testing in vieques, do you have any proof on that matter, preferably not from news articles but from more direct sources like direct wires.

I understand what the trade off is. But before someone said "well look people went over there to fight because they wanted to," I just wanted to point out that I seriously doubt 100% of the people over there want to be there.

Lets not kid ourselves, plenty of people sign up just hoping to get college paid for because they have no other way to pay for it. Poor rural folks, they are the ones fighting the war.

670488[/snapback]

670949[/snapback]

[sarcasm] Ban him! He has offended the almighty Carlos Delgado[/sarcasm]

Seriously, you guys need to stop your love affair with Delgado. He is just speaking his opinion and you guys shouldn't be rushing to ban someone if they say something bad about Delgado.

Speaking bad about someone is one thing, but blaming them of something that isn't true is something else. When did Delgado say he hated america? He hates the leadership tactics, I don't see how that makes him hate america.

Jack apparently seems to think if you don't support the leadership of the country you hate it and then shouldn't get the money you earn. I guess everyone who voted for Kerry, Nader, Badnarik, etc. should all be sent away.

Hey Kiddies...if you are so against Delgado taking a stand ask yourself why?? Is it because you have been brainwashed by mommy and daddy?? Is it because you have been brainwashed by politicians and media that have you believing that Iraq is the result of 9/11?

Hey, that's unfair.? I believe you are preaching what you know in your heart is right.? You believe the war is right.? You believe the cost in lives and money is unfortunate but needed.? I urge you to do one thing and that is to really stand up for your beliefs and join the Military.? Go fight this war on terrorism...in Iraq.? Go make Osama pay for what he did....in Iraq.?

Don't ask others to die for your beliefs.? Don't knock people for standing up for what they think is right when the only thing you are willing to do is allow others to die for your cause.

670543[/snapback]

670647[/snapback]

It would be nice if professional athletes of today were more like those of years past like Ted Williams, Bob Feller, Hank Greenberg, Harmon Killebrew, etc.

They dropped their bats, picked up a rifle, and joined the military.

670918[/snapback]

it's not just the athletes who are different, so much as the entire culture - the ideal of the recent wars has been avoiding sacrifice - i mean, we've paid for them by cutting taxes, and bush's messages after 9/11 were 'go about your normal lives, take a vacation etc'.

part of this comes from the lesson of vietnam that a conscript army is more difficult to manage in terms of discipline, morale, and professionalism.

part of this comes from the idea that the terrorists seek to disrupt our lives, so that if we make changes to our lives, i.e. personal sacrifice, 'the terrorists win'.

the rest of it... i don't know. probably a lot more people now vs. the 1940s/50s think of peace, freedom and prosperity as rights they're entitled to, that nobody should have to fight for. sacrifice (be it someone's life, or even of the comfort level of someone's day-to-day situation) is noble when it happens, but people don't feel guilty about not having done it themselves, as everyone recognizes it's best for there to be as little of it as possible.

670488[/snapback]

670949[/snapback]

Seriously, you guys need to stop your love affair with Delgado. He is just speaking his opinion and you guys shouldn't be rushing to ban someone if they say something bad about Delgado.

671057[/snapback]

670543[/snapback]

670647[/snapback]

LegacyofCangelosi,

I'm sorry the idea of questioning yourself about why you feel the way you do and if you should be doing more than supporting 'others' to fight for you hit you so hard.

It is not easy to accept that your support keeps the war ongoing and the casualties growing larger by the day. If coming out against Delgado, calling me a moran and attacking anyone that disagrees with your position allows you to sleep at night, good for you.

I suggested you support your cause, this fight against terrorism with more than just a "go get'em" and you suggested I am a moran.

Btw, supporting the war is a life altering decision....just not for you or I. But I saw how life altering it is when my brother came home from the Beirut bombings many years ago and told me stories of the arms and legs they picked out of trees and the rubble. Those were the bodies of their freinds they brought over on their ship. My brother was lucky...my family was lucky. As for my mommy and daddy well, I am 37 years old and my daddy died in 2000.

670488[/snapback]

670949[/snapback]

671057[/snapback]

I smell hypocrisy

And PhishPhan I'm gonna look up this thing, but I was pretty sure it had to do with Puerto Rico at least equally as the Iraq war if not more.

anywho... great article in todays herald by Linda Robertson... "Taking a Stand By Sitting"

very good read

Everybody is raving about Carlos Delgado the slugger. But I think you're going to like the man even more than you're going to like what his bat does for the Marlins.

You're going to like him, that is, if you prefer athletes who are committed to principles -- beyond the principal of their portfolios.

You're not going to like him if you prefer athletes who stash their consciences in their walk-in closets, next to 200 pairs of shoes.

You're going to like him if you prefer athletes who see a wide world out there beyond the stadium and want to live in it rather than be isolated from it.

You're not going to like him if you believe free speech is a right to be fought for in other nations, but not necessarily in our own nation.

Delgado has been protesting the war in Iraq by refusing to stand during the playing of God Bless America at baseball games. When the song was sung, he remained seated in the dugout.

After 9/11, the Irving Berlin classic was performed at a New York Yankees game and became a seventh-inning-stretch standard at ballparks.

Delgado had the courage to ask, ``Why?''

Why should baseball players and fans be expected to stand for a song that has taken on a jingoistic ''support-your-country-or-else'' meaning? Why should baseball stadiums be used for rallies of solidarity with the government? Why God Bless America anyway? Why not Blowin' in the Wind?

''The reason I didn't stand for God Bless America is because I didn't like the way they tied God Bless America to 9/11 to the war in Iraq to baseball,'' Delgado said Thursday when he introduced himself to South Florida. ``For that matter, I say God bless America, God bless Miami, God bless Puerto Rico and all the countries, so there's peace in the world. It's not about politics. It's about baseball, and I'm ready to play baseball.''

TOUCHY ISSUE

He is also prepared to continue his silent protest. Almost every team that courted the former Toronto Blue Jay was so worried about the backlash that they asked him if he plans to keep doing it. The Marlins do not have a team conduct policy on God Bless America, which is played only on Sundays. The Marlins do require players to stand on the top step of the dugout for The Star-Spangled Banner.

''When we talked to the Marlins, it wasn't an issue,'' Delgado said. ``I stand for what I believe, and if that's the case, when they play it, I'm going to stay inside.''

He has heard the usual complaint: A sporting event is not the place for political expression.

Why, then, is the national anthem played at games? We're not expected to stand and sing it before a play or a concert. Why can Michael Moore and Bruce Springsteen speak out on their stages while athletes are supposed to be silent? Why are teams sewing U.S. flags on uniforms?

Agree or disagree with Delgado's opinion, but be thankful he has one.

Today in sports, we have no Muhammad Ali, no Jim Brown, no Billie Jean King, no Tommie Smith or John Carlos. Martina Navratilova, semi-retired, is about the only athlete left who has something to say.

Our controversial athletes? Terrell Owens, for doing a silly promo for

Desperate Housewives, and Randy Moss, for pretending to moon Packers fans.

Remember when Arthur Ashe discussed apartheid? Today, we debate who has the better touchdown shtick or rap album or sneaker commercial.

Delgado is a splash of color in a barren sports landscape where too many athletes try just as hard to be banal as they do to hit home runs. Too many retreat behind the excuse that ''I'm just an athlete'' and waste their power to educate or motivate. On Delgado's first day in teal, he was a charming gentleman. He's an opera fan, an art lover, a Renaissance guy.

MAN OF PRINCIPLE

Not all his gut-checks occur in the bottom of the ninth. He signed a petition published in The New York Times to end the U.S. Navy's bombing practices off Vieques island in his native Puerto Rico.

Will his teammates accept him? The Marlins' clubhouse, like many in sports, is aligned with the red states.

Will the fans accept him? They ought to admire his passion, whether he's standing at the plate or sitting in the dugout.

?I wouldn?t call it politics, because I hate politics,? Delgado said Thursday after finalizing his $52 million, four-year contract. ?The reason why I didn?t stand for ?God Bless America? was because I didn?t like the way they tied ?God Bless America? and 9-11 to the war in Iraq in baseball.

?I say God bless America, God bless Miami, God bless Puerto Rico and all countries until there is peace in the world.?

That's Delgado from the press conference. Seems like his biggest beef is also one of mine, forcing patriotism on people who might not necessarily want it.

?I wouldn?t call it politics, because I hate politics,? Delgado said Thursday after finalizing his $52 million, four-year contract. ?The reason why I didn?t stand for ?God Bless America? was because I didn?t like the way they tied ?God Bless America? and 9-11 to the war in Iraq in baseball.

?I say God bless America, God bless Miami, God bless Puerto Rico and all countries until there is peace in the world.?

That's Delgado from the press conference. Seems like his biggest beef is also one of mine, forcing patriotism on people who might not necessarily want it.

671127[/snapback]

Puerto Rico missle testing written all over his "protest".