Would Len have stayed?

MarlinGuru

Since the acquisition of 1B Carlos Delgado, many have classified the Florida Marlins as favorites to win the NL East or to atleast be contenders. ESPN says that the Marlins had the best offseason (so far)

Len Kasper departed to announce for the Cubs, who ESPN says that have had one of the worst offseasons ever. He sought to be in the national spot light and PROBABLY thought that the Cubs has a good shot at the post season.

Had Delgado been signed before Kasper signed, I think that Len Kasper would have stayed with the Marlins.

Discuss.

Len didn't base his decision on the state of the club. WGN is just a higher profile job with a national audience. It was a great career move that he could not pass up.

Len didn't base his decision on the state of the club. WGN is just a higher profile job with a national audience. It was a great career move that he could not pass up.

670675[/snapback]

Exactly. It's not about the team as much as it's about the ability to broadcast to a wider audience.

I know that Delgado is a great player but the ways some people are talking is like he is gonna break the home run record or single handedly is gonna win is us the world series. I know alot of people are smitten now and thats understandable, but dont overrate the guy just cuz he is a part of ur team now.

Len left the Marlin Organization mainly because Tommy Hutton was always sitting too close to him in the pressbox.

No, seriously--it's obvious why he left, and everyone who replied said it perfectly--Chicago is a bigger market, which means more name recognition and probably more money. As much as we have gawked over our ability to out-bid the Mets, Rangers and Orioles, we must remember that this was an anomally.

Getting a player like Delgado in a bidding war with four teams is a one-in-a-hundred chance. So when the Chicago Cubs want our announcer-we have a 1/100 chance of keeping him.

Odds are never in our favor when it comes to retaining players/FO/announcers,etc.

I mean, just look what happened to our last two young, great TV play-by-play fellas--O'Brian and Kasper. They got gobbled up by bigger-market clubs in a hurry, because we don't have the stability and monetary support that other places do.

In fact, Boog is leaving for the same reasons, Dombrowski left for the same reason, and even Leyland left for that reason.

Kasper wasn't exactly a home-grown loyalist. He was a Marlin for three years. That's nothing. Hutton is a life-time Fish commentator. I guarantee that he stays here until the day he retires (hopefully 10 years). Anyway, I just hope they can keep Mini happy as the sideline announcer. I don't see why he would want to leave, because we gave him his own freaking radio show for two hours in the morning.

I know that Delgado is a great player but the ways some people are talking is like he is gonna break the home run record or single handedly is gonna win is us the world series. I know alot of people are smitten now and thats understandable, but dont overrate the guy just cuz he is a part of ur team now.

670766[/snapback]

Duuude take your non-supportive-ness to the mets' boards.

:plain

/sarcasm

670766[/snapback]

I think many of us realize Delgado is simply the left handed bat that we've always wanted/needed. Imagine how many more games we would have won, how much better we'd done last season with Delgado? So many games we lost by a run or so that he could have provided us the help we needed when we were lacking offense. I think the talk is great, Delgado is great too !

I know that Delgado is a great player but the ways some people are talking is like he is gonna break the home run record or single handedly is gonna win is us the world series.? I know alot of people are smitten now and thats understandable, but dont overrate the guy just cuz he is a part of ur team now.

670766[/snapback]

Duuude take your non-supportive-ness to the mets' boards.

:plain

670845[/snapback]

Dude chill i am a Marlins fan and i hate the Mets. What i cant be realistic? I cant disagree with anyone, I cant criticize, shame on me if i do. What if the guy struggles next year or gets injured again, will anyone continue to talk about him like they do now. I think that Delgado will make a big impact for the Marlins and fills in a big piece that the Marlins were missing. But i dont think he is the savior. He was in Toronto all those years and they couldnt do anything (i know his teams werent that good). Now that he is in a better team, his talents will greatly complement what the Marlins do.

Foladar, i thought last year the middle relief was a big reason the Marlins lost alot of close games as well , along with a sputtering offense.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.