Biggest waste of talent ever in sports?

Hotcorner

Ok, I'm stealing this topic from the LeBatard show...... sue me.

But let's come up with the biggest "wastes" of talent in sports history.

Guys you look at (or looked at years ago) and said "man that guy could've been amazing..."

And don't include players who just fell apart due to injury, that's not their fault.

You could include drugs, legal problems, laziness, etc, etc, etc....

I think Jose Canseco being in the news may have sparked this topic. Here's a guy who looked like he'd cruise into the Hall of Fame at one point. And now look at him.

Josh Booty! This guy was a prize possession for the Marlins, and he dropped of the face of the Earth.

Other names that come to mind:

Harold Miner

Penny Hardaway

Cecil Collins (that boy had some sick skills, but you can't count all his felonies on one hand)

Scott Rolen--I really think he could have been something special :whistle

Ricky Williams

Jamal Lewis

Kobe Bryant

682562[/snapback]

meh maybe you can put Ricky there.

but with Kobe, I have no clue what you're talking about. He's one of the best players in the NBA and has 3 rings already.

and with Jamal a lot of his career he's been injured which disqualifies him from this thread. and his legal problems aren't going to end his career.

Penny Hardaway

And don't include players who just fell apart due to injury, that's not their fault.

682567[/snapback]

He didn't fall apart due to injury.

He fell apart due to loss of one big man (Shaq)

When he was traded to the Suns as a youngster, he didn't do anything spectacular, even when he wasn't injured.

nc marlin

my criteria is a talented player that makes a s***ty decision which makes them a household name (not in the way they were hoping)

682576[/snapback]

Ok, but you aren't a waste of talent if you win 3 rings..

682578[/snapback]

Yeah, that just makes you more of a waste of talent

nc marlin

my criteria is a talented player that makes a s***ty decision which makes them a household name (not in the way they were hoping)

682576[/snapback]

Ok, but you aren't a waste of talent if you win 3 rings..

682578[/snapback]

Yeah, that just makes you more of a waste of talent

682585[/snapback]

I get you...Kobe is a waste of talent because he could have been the greatest of all time.

But instead, he's hated by everyone outside of LA, and he's turned the ultimate trifecta into a disgruntled team of role players (aside from LO).

Penny Hardaway

682567[/snapback]

When he was traded to the Suns as a youngster, he didn't do anything spectacular, even when he wasn't injured.

682575[/snapback]

His first season in Phoenix was good, right after that he went down hill. 2nd season in Phoenix, played only 4 games. Plus he's getting old.

Penny Hardaway

682567[/snapback]

682575[/snapback]

His first season in Phoenix was good, right after that he went down hill. 2nd season in Phoenix, played only 4 games. Plus he's getting old.

682595[/snapback]

From where he was, to where he is now--he's on top of the underachieving list. If he was great, he would have bounced back--ala Grant Hill.

He was on top of the world--Lil Penny and Tyra Banks.

Hey, that brings up a good theory--Tyra Banks is a bad omen for potential NBA superstars:

First Penny

Now Kobe (remember the dreadful rap song?)

Penny Hardaway

682567[/snapback]

682575[/snapback]

682595[/snapback]

From where he was, to where he is now--he's on top of the underachieving list. If he was great, he would have bounced back--ala Grant Hill.

He was on top of the world--Lil Penny and Tyra Banks.

Hey, that brings up a good theory--Tyra Banks is a bad omen for potential NBA superstars:

First Penny

Now Kobe (remember the dreadful rap song?)

682598[/snapback]

He's not gonna bounce back. His career is good, but not great.

Todd Marinovich

Andre Wadsworth

John Avery

Dwight Gooden

Dodge, someone isn't a waste of talent becaus they're a bad person. It just means they're a bad person.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.