Schools to teach creationism

PhishPhan

Sixty-five percent of all Americans favored schools teaching creationism and evolution, while 37 percent wanted creationism taught instead of evolution.

The poll found greater support for teaching creationism among Republican voters ? 71 percent of Bush voters favored teaching creationism alongside evolution.

PHILADELPHIA - Evangelical Christians, buoyed by the re-election of President Bush, are turning American schools into a battleground over whether evolution explains the origins of life or whether nature was designed by an all-powerful force.

advertisement

In at least 18 states, campaigns have begun to make public schools teach ?intelligent design? ? a theory that nature is so complex it could only have been created by design ? alongside Charles Darwin?s theory of evolution.

?It?s pretty clear that there is a religious movement behind intelligent design,? said Steve Case, chairman of the Science Standards Committee, a group of educators that advises the Kansas Board of Education. The board will decide later this year whether to include intelligent design in biology classes.

Some scientists who espouse the theory say intelligent design does not question that evolution occurred, but how it occurred: They believe more was at play than random mutation and natural selection. The theory, they insist, does not support the religious concept of a creator.

Those who advocate giving it equal treatment in schools have a different interpretation.

?Intelligent design promotes a rational basis for belief in God,? said John Calvert, managing director of the Kansas-based advocacy group Intelligent Design Network Inc.

History of a controversy

Americans? resistance to evolution is nothing new.

In 1925, Tennessee high school biology teacher John Scopes was prosecuted for teaching evolution in violation of a state law favoring creationism, in one of the most celebrated trials in U.S. history. Scopes was convicted and fined $100, but the Tennessee Supreme Court overturned the verdict on a technicality.

Critics, civil-liberties groups and many biology teachers see intelligent design being used as a version of creationism ? the theory that God created the world as described in Genesis. The U.S. Supreme Court barred public school teaching of creationism in the 1980s for violating the separation of church and state.

They say the push for intelligent design in America?s schools comes from evangelical Christians, a group key to Bush winning a second term last November.

Across the nation

Supporters have proposed laws in state assemblies, campaigned for new policies at state and local school boards, and placed stickers in textbooks saying evolution is controversial and that students should consider alternatives.

The Dover Area School Board in Pennsylvania now requires that ninth-graders are told there are ?gaps? in the theory of evolution, and that intelligent design is an alternative they should consider. The American Civil Liberties Union has challenged the policy in court as unconstitutional.

A bill in Missouri would require public school biology textbooks to contain a ?critical analysis of origins? and highlight controversial topics ?such as biological evolution.?

According to the National Council for Science Education, a pro-evolution group in Oakland, California, other states considering legislation on the issue include Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Montana, Oklahoma, Alabama and Texas. Other state or local school boards debating the teaching of intelligent design include Ohio, Arkansas, Wisconsin, Kansas, Wisconsin, Maryland, Michigan, Tennessee and Alaska.

link

For my Principles of Evolution class, I had to write a short paper on whether I felt that the arguments for Intelligent Design had any merit. I wrote on not only why I felt it had no merit, but also why it was conceptually wrong and the equivalent to throwing your hands up and giving up in science. If anyone would like to see this, PM me.

Sixty-five percent of all Americans favored schools teaching creationism and evolution,

How obvious can it be that what people want is for Genesis to be taught in the classroom.

while 37 percent wanted creationism taught instead of evolution.

:banghead

I suppose its time to just blame the liberals who want to kill God by preventing any origin theory from being taught in classroom, especially Christian origin theory which is the right one.

Debunked stuff is taught in science classes already. Early on they teach you Newtonian mechanics, then you learn that was all a crock with relativity.

Over 30 years ago Lamark, spontaneous generation, etc were (briefly) covered in my HS biology class. Heck they mentioned flat earth and sea monsters at the edge in geography.

684306[/snapback]

No one studies relativity in high school. Everyone uses Newtonian mechanics because they're accurate enough and they're not nearly as complicated. Also, if it's good enough for NASA to use, then it's probably good enough for high school students.

That said, evolution could and should be taught every except the science room. Teach it in math, English, PE, etc, but not friggin' science class. All they're trying to do is indoctrinate the kids that the Bible is right and science is wrong.

Creationism should not be taught in schools. However, schools shouldn't treat evoloution like churches treat creationism. Which is basically ignoring any possible flaws and accepting everything as undeniable fact.

684325[/snapback]

I think that's somewhat fair, however the evidence of evolution is staggering...

People forget that one of the greatest scientists in history used God to try and figure out how things worked. Had he not tried to think like God did in the creation, as he put it, he would have never made the breakthroughs he did.

That famous scientist was Albert Einstein.

684496[/snapback]

And what's your point? We should teach Biblical creationism in public school science classrooms?

I think we should teach both as theories. Why should one have preference over the other in the educational system?

684523[/snapback]

And that's why I will fight the Republican party tooth and nail. Their base wishes to de-enlighten us.

684531[/snapback]

How is it "de-enlighten"-ing to show more than 1 theory? I think shunning one in favor of the other is going to "dis-enlighten" us.

Do tell me how creationism is even a theory?

684540[/snapback]

The Theory of Intelligent Design is as much a theory as the Theory of Evolution. Evolution doesn't solve the idea of what started the chain of evolution. The Theory of Intelligent Design solves that idea. The two can coexist in science and should be taught as theories.

There's no problem with schools teaching evolution as long as they respect that students can disagree with it. I read an article expressing how its a problem that students in some Kansas are becoming more religous. :blink:

684553[/snapback]

I know, but the libbys have an issue with teaching both side-by-side as theories. I don't understand why they get so touchy about it...it isn't like they want to stop the Theory of Evolution from being taught.

684540[/snapback]

The Theory of Intelligent Design is as much a theory as the Theory of Evolution. Evolution doesn't solve the idea of what started the chain of evolution. The Theory of Intelligent Design solves that idea. The two can coexist in science and should be taught as theories.

684548[/snapback]

And so, you and your religious warriors must be fought. Creationism will not be taught with tax dollars.

684540[/snapback]

684548[/snapback]

It is a BELIEF based on a literal reading of a book written thousands of years ago. There are no facts to work with. A theory is "the analysis of a set of facts in their relation to one another."

Dinosaurs are lies.

684579[/snapback]

Well if you want to believe the bible then you have to believe dinosaurs did not live millions of years ago, rather thousands of years ago.

One time I watchd that bible thumping channel and they guy talking was telling me how dinosaurs lived the days of Jesus, and even during the middle ages. After all if you believe in the bible you don't believe the universe existed millions upon millions of years ago.

684540[/snapback]

684548[/snapback]

Oh really?Please explain how intelligent design solves how the chain of evolution started.

Nothing should ever ever be taught on how existence came to be. Why is that so hard for some people? Evolution is never taught to say how everything came to be, merely how things evolved to how they are now. By desiring intelligent design theory and its supposed foundation for showing how things came to be, its clear that what is the religious right wants is for kids to be taught that God created all.

Typical mixing of the issues. They cant handle what evolution says about human existance because it undercuts the bible so they want to claim evolution talks nothing about origin of all so origin of all should be taught. Next thing you know, doctors are going to have to try both medical science and the power of Benny Hinn when treating patients.

Listen, cape, should we teach kids that dinosaurs and the ice age are merely theories that could be wrong because by teaching these things, we may undercut the bible?

We've discussed this before. Creationism should obviously be taught in high schools, anyone who thinks otherwise should go move to a dictatorship. however, it should NOT by any means be taught in science classes, it needs to be taught inreligious studies or philosophy classes.

685039[/snapback]

I agree 100%.

We've discussed this before. Creationism should obviously be taught in high schools, anyone who thinks otherwise should go move to a dictatorship. however, it should NOT by any means be taught in science classes, it needs to be taught inreligious studies or philosophy classes.

685039[/snapback]

I agree 100%.

685162[/snapback]

fine with I.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.