MLB.com Predictions

Guest FishFanInPA

Guest FishFanInPA

MLB.com has us tying the Mets for 2nd place in the division and the wild card but we win the tiebreaker and represent the NL as wild card....They also predict

"2) The first time he faces him, Beckett will buzz Pedro Martinez -- just to make a point. How Pedro reacts will set the tone for the rest of the Mets' season."

I really think that we're gonna win the division despite all the braves moves.

Because the Mets have a TON of guys that underperformed last year, and if guys like Reyes, Floyd, etc. play to expectations, they have a good lineup. Quite possibly the best in the NL east. I still think their pitching stinks...but we'll see. To be honest, I really think losing Leiter and adding Pedro is really a lateral move considering Pedro can no longer consistently pitch in the mid 90s.

As much as I hate defending the Mets, I think Piazza, Reyes, Matsui, Floyd, and Cameron all underperformed last year. If they play well, their lineup is pretty solid, with the exception of first base. Maybe you don't see it, but I think they have a better lineup than the Phillies, Nationals, and Braves....which means it's hardly laughable to say they "may" have the best lineup in the NL east...IMO.

Piazza is an old catcher... so he can't really live up to potential. Floyd is always injured for a reason.. he's also getting up there in age. There's a reason these guys didn't live up to potential... age and years of injuries.

Alex Gonzalez has a lot of potential... when he doesn't swing at everything, he hits HR's and gets on base. All he has to do is be patient. He's not living up to potential. So what do you say about him?

I agree with you. BUT, Piazza, Cameron, Hidalgo, and Floyd had DOWN years. Maybe you could label Reyes and Matsui as not living up to POTENTIAL. I also believe Alex had a career year, in terms of homeruns, so other than his BA he's pretty much lived up to my expectations - although I still think he's got more potential for RBI production. Hey, if the Marlins live up to POTENTIAL, I think we walk into the world series, but I think there's a difference between potential and having a down year. Anyway, I still think the Marlins have the most balanced, all-around best lineup in the NL east. I just think the Mets are going to suprise some people, because I can't see ALL those guys having bad years, although floyd and piazza will likely never be what they used to be.

Still, it's possible that each of those guys can hit 30+ HRs, plus david wright hit 14 HR in like 70 games, plus Beltran....that's not a bad lineup. As for our pitching potential, I think ours is better hands down. I was just talking about lineups.

the mets are getting hyped because they're a new york team, and all mediocre new york teams get maximum national hype. last year, a friend of mine who's a braves fan pointed out that, around mid-season, some national publications came out with articles about how the braves run was officially over, and how the mets had proved themselves to be contenders. at this time, the braves had a BETTER record than the mets, and of course we know how the season turned out. the hype on the mets is just the media's new york bias. if a team like the padres were making these kinds of moves, there would not be nearly this kind of fuss.

The Mets are getting hype because they were fighting with the Phillies for NL East lead until injuries f-ed them over last year. Our line-up isn't even close to best in the East, maybe 3rd best. But we have a solid, if not exceptional, group of starters and a young and talented pen with some potential. It's all good, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be disappointed to get that close the playoffs and miss, but it's certainly be an improvement.

the hype on the mets is just the media's new york bias.

687559[/snapback]

Bull s***, the Mets getting blasted everytime they make a move, especially from the New York media. We catch more s*** than any team in baseball, obviously you don't live anywhere near NY or you'd know the Mets gets treated like the Yankees retarded little cousin. You must be thinking of that other NY team, because the last thing Mets get is over-hyped.

The Mets are getting hype because they were fighting with the Phillies for NL East lead until injuries f-ed them over last year. Our line-up isn't even close to best in the East, maybe 3rd best. But we have a solid, if not exceptional, group of starters and a young and talented pen with some potential. It's all good, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be disappointed to get that close the playoffs and miss, but it's certainly be an improvement.

687653[/snapback]

Fighting with the Phillies for the NL East lead? LOLOLOL

Please elaborate, and show some proof.

Oh, and at your best point last year you were how many games above .500?

Why is everyone so high on the mets? They added Beltran and Pedro and now they are predicted to win the wild card

687264[/snapback]

The system for pre-season predictions:

Add 1 point for a recognizable names.

Add 3 points for guys who were All-Stars five years ago.

Add 3 points for a team with excellent pitching.

Add 5 points if that pitching staff follows one of the following descriptions: A. questionable health and endurance, B. lots of arms capable of starting and little on quality, C. a better bullpen than the rotation.

Add 3 points for a scrappy player in a starting role. 2 bonus points if he is caught stealing as many times as he walks.

Add 2 points for new additions. Any new additions, well, ones with recognizable names.

Add 3 points for good character guys. Deduct 2 for bad character guys.

Add 1 point for every optimistic article about the team's chances in the local press.

Through 81 Games:

Phils: 44-37

Mets: 41-40

Marlins: 41-40

Braves 40-41

Monteal 28-53

At a couple of times, we were actually tied for the lead in the NL East, we tanked it after the ASB when Piazza, Zambrano, Reyes, and matsui went on the DL all in less than a week.

687703[/snapback]

Yes, and that was your best winning percentage all season. Being one game over five hundred through 81 games and that being the best winning percentage all season is terrible... you were in the race for a few games, and that's it. The Marlins topped out at 11 games over .500 until the hurricanes did them in.

Through 81 Games:

Phils: 44-37

Mets: 41-40

Marlins: 41-40

Braves 40-41

Monteal 28-53

At a couple of times, we were actually tied for the lead in the NL East, we tanked it after the ASB when Piazza, Zambrano, Reyes, and matsui went on the DL all in less than a week.

687703[/snapback]

Yes, and that was your best winning percentage all season. Being one game over five hundred through 81 games and that being the best winning percentage all season is terrible... you were in the race for a few games, and that's it. The Marlins topped out at 11 games over .500 until the hurricanes did them in.

687707[/snapback]

FOr a few games? The Mets were in the pennant race from at the very least the beginning of June and for well over a month. And what was the Mets' best winning percentage? 1.000 after Opening day. Probably at their best they were 4 or 3 games over .500 in early July, not great but they also added Pedro and Beltran and that's going to add quite a lot of wins.

With the probablity of injures and disappointing seasons on offense and the lack of depth, I doubt Pedro, an erratic Zambrano and a league-average Benson can keep the Mets afloat.

687717[/snapback]

You could say the same thing with the Burnett and Beckett's penchant for spending time on the DL. You could come up with situations like that for any team, there's always a bit of luck involved when it comes to making playoff runs.

Maybe. But you make it sound like the Mets were in the thick of the NL East and Wild Card race. They were doing slightly above average for a month and then fell off the face of the earth..

687722[/snapback]

The Mets are getting hype because they were fighting with the Phillies for NL East lead until injuries f-ed them over last year.

I said exactly what was the truth, they were fighting for Phils for the NL East lead, which they were. I said NOTHING about the wildcard or being anything above average. Someone needs to work on reading comprehension.

Maybe.? But you make it sound like the Mets were in the thick of the NL East and Wild Card race.? They were doing slightly above average for a month and then fell off the face of the earth..

687722[/snapback]

The Mets are getting hype because they were fighting with the Phillies for NL East lead until injuries f-ed them over last year.

I said exactly what was the truth, they were fighting for Phils for the NL East lead, which they were. I said NOTHING about the wildcard or being anything above average. Someone needs to work on reading comprehension.

687725[/snapback]

"Fighting with the Phillies for NL East lead" makes it sound like it went on for months upon months and then in late August they got hit by huge injuries. Please.

With the probablity of injures and disappointing seasons on offense and the lack of depth, I doubt Pedro, an erratic Zambrano and a league-average Benson can keep the Mets afloat.

687717[/snapback]

You could say the same thing with the Burnett and Beckett's penchant for spending time on the DL. You could come up with situations like that for any team, there's always a bit of luck involved when it comes to making playoff runs.

687721[/snapback]

The Mets are not prepared the same way as the Marlins. The Marlins could put a AAAer into the rotation and come away with a league-average pitcher because of their ballpark and defense. Also the Marlins lineup is a bit stronger of a supporting cast than the Mets' pitching staff should injuries or ineffectiveness occur on the opposite side of the ball.

Maybe. But you make it sound like the Mets were in the thick of the NL East and Wild Card race. They were doing slightly above average for a month and then fell off the face of the earth..

687722[/snapback]

687725[/snapback]

"Fighting with the Phillies for NL East lead" makes it sound like it went on for months upon months and then in late August they got hit by huge injuries. Please.

687726[/snapback]

Don't fault me because you're choosing to infer things that weren't written. I wrote one simple sentence, a sentence that neither says nor implies any of these conclusions you're making up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.