NHL to un-cancel season!

Junior

Official statement from the NHL:

NHL COLLECTIVE BARGAINING UPDATE, FEBRUARY 19

NEW YORK (February 19, 2005) - Representatives of the NHL and NHLPA met for approximately 6-1/2 hours today to discuss collective bargaining matters but made no progress toward a new agreement. No further talks are scheduled. The League was represented by Bill Daly, Executive Vice President and Chief Legal Officer; Wayne Gretzky, Managing Partner, Phoenix Coyotes; Mario Lemieux and outside counsel Bob Batterman. The NHLPA was represented by Ted Saskin, Senior Director; Trevor Linden, NHLPA president; Vincent Damphousse of the Colorado Avalanche; Mike Gartner, Director of Business Relations, and outside counsel John McCambridge.

Following the meeting, Bill Daly released the following statement:

"We met for six hours today in New York to further explore the possibility of reaching a new Agreement with the Players' Association. Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux joined and participated in today's meeting, at the request of the Union. We talked through the parties' respective positions on the numerous elements that would be involved in designing a new salary cap-based system. The talks were cordial and informative, but revealed that there remain significant differences that need to be discussed and resolved by the parties. No new proposals were made by either side. While no new meetings are scheduled, we remain committed to continue working through the process until a new Agreement can be reached."

Wayne Gretzky made the following statement:

"Mario and I were happy to be part of the process and everyone seemed to work very hard together. We had a constructive meeting and we only hope they will continue meeting for the betterment of the NHL and its fans."

Mario Lemieux made the following statement:

"I hope all parties continue talking and come to a solution for the betterment of the game. I certainly appreciate the work Gary and Bill have done a lot more, now that I have been part of one of these sessions."

http://www.nhlcbanews.com/news/meeting021905.html

The last 24 hours have demonstrated a real lack of journalistic responsibility. It seems that in an effort to beat one another to "breaking news," outlets relied way too much on unnamed sources. If one outlet picks up a report from "an unnamed source," then another, then the third one (moving up the food chain to TSN and ESPN), everyone starts reporting on it.

The problem is when traditional journalists stop checking *their* sources and it snowballs. The last 24 hours should have been reported as straight fact: they got together to talk and nothing came of it.

All those "news stories" were just rumors based on hearsay.

Shame on TSN, ESPN and The Hockey News.

Only the NHL could possibly cancel its season twice. They like the media attention, I expect them to hold another press conference on Tuesday just so people still know there will be no hockey this year.

I guess they figure if you keep reminding them of what they don't have, that people migt begin to want it.

A true die-hard NHL fan, saddend by the news, I am sure.

The season that was a season, that wasn't a season, that almost got saved, but didn't, maybe.

690589[/snapback]

HAHAHAHA I just saved that pic to my desktop and the name of the file is "LeafBlower.jpg" :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol