yankees looking to add pierre next year

Mod Edit: Source: http://www.northjersey.com

Playing in the era of free agency, in the employ of George Steinbrenner, somehow Bernie Williams has made it to age 36 with the Yankees, as their starting center fielder.

And in each of those Yankee years, Williams came to camp with the same thought: It all could be taken away.

"I'm still worried I'm going to lose my job at any second," Williams said Tuesday morning at his familiar corner locker at Legends Field.

"Every year, I have to prove that I can play at this level."

A year ago, Kenny Lofton was in spring training to take Williams' job. He couldn't.

This winter, free agent Carlos Beltran figured to be chased by Steinbrenner. He wasn't.

"I am the exception," Williams said of a constantly changing Yankee clubhouse.

Yet, Williams arrived at his 17th Yankees camp knowing this could be his last spring training in pinstripes.

The guaranteed portion of his contract runs out after this season, and Florida Marlins' center fielder Juan Pierre has become an attractive option to certain Yankees' executives.

"It's just too far ahead," Williams said of 2006. "At this point, it [returning to the club] may not be my decision to make."

Williams nearly left for Boston, of all places, as a free agent following the 1998 season. At the 11th hour, a phone call from general manager Brian Cashman kept Williams out of a Red Sox uniform - for $87.5 million over seven years.

Even after he signed, "I knew anything could happen," Williams said.

So, in some ways, this camp is like Williams' first Yankees camp in 1989, when then-manager Dallas Green nearly kept Williams on the roster.

Now, Joe Torre wonders whether Williams can handle 150 games in center field. "We're going to have to figure that out," Torre said.

Williams' chronic shoulder problems and creaky knees must be monitored. Strict exercise must be adhered to.

And when the pain comes, "some days I feel like I want to retire right at that moment," Williams said. "Other days I feel like I can play another 10 years."

In 2004, Williams overcame Lofton's presence despite a slow start caused by an attack of appendicitis that required surgery Feb. 26.

It took about three months for Williams to build back his strength after the appendectomy. And he still scored 105 runs in 148 games, batting .262 with 22 homers and 70 RBI.

Williams is healthier now than last year, despite contracting a virus on a goodwill trip through Venezuela and Colombia from Feb. 11-16 - a jaunt sponsored by the U.S. State Department on which Williams held youth clinics and even performed on the guitar.

Lofton is now in Philadelphia. Doug Glanville and Bubba Crosby are the only other center fielders in camp, battling for a backup job, And still, Williams frets.

"It's not in my nature to be comfortable in my position," Williams said. "I've never been comfortable here, thinking I have this job.

"In a way, that [hunger] has kept me here."

Tino Martinez, Williams' teammate again, isn't surprised by Williams' ability to survive.

"Bernie, [Derek] Jeter, Jorge [Posada], [Mariano] Rivera - it'll be a strange day when those four guys are gone," Martinez said.

As usual, Williams isn't expecting any off-field headlines this year. "They're not getting anything from me," Williams said of the Red Sox' celebrated newspaper quotes.

And he is not going to demand the Yankees explore a contract extension. His $15 million almost certainly won't be picked up; the buyout is worth $3.5 million.

"It's going to play out the way it's going to play out," Williams said. "My situation will always be on the back burner."

Williams believes he will play beyond next year, but isn't sure where. Only today has meaning to him.

Of last year's epic playoff loss to Boston, "It was very frustrating," Williams said. "I know that's an understatement, but it's not taking the joy away from this day."

The problem (at least as far as the Yankees are concerned) that the author (unnamed) ignores is that while Pierre's contract is up next season, his eligibility isn't and he won't be going anywhere without the express consent of the Marlins.

The fact that this article purports to represent the feelings of the Yankees senior mangement calls into question the credibility of the entire piece, since Cashman and his cohorts have to know Pierre's status and the fact that he will not be a free agent when this article suggests he will be.

So one is left with one of two thoughts - either the Yankees GM's office is populated with people who don't know the first thing about the status of major league players they are considering, or absent that, the author made the article up.

In my mind Cashman and company are too bright not to know when Juan Pierre will be a free agent so the latter assumption is the only one which makes sense.

Beinfest talked about this at Fan Fest. The first six years of any player's career are arbitration years, and the player can't go anywhere.

The Marlins philosophy is therefore to simply sign these players to one-year deals on the cheap for the first six years, and after that to assess whether the player is worth signing to a multi-year deal.

Pierre will be signed to a one-year deal for next season. Unless they are so confident in Reed that they feel they can trade Pierre for a real quality player (i.e. like trading Burnett before his sixth year for Hudson).

I read somewhere that the FO realizes Pierre will get a lot of green next year, yet feel confident we have a Pierre clone within the organization.? So they might look to move him for what they can get, which should be a nice bounty, and hope the "clone" pans out.

694350[/snapback]

Eric Reed's his name. Said to be faster and a better defender, but lacking in making for contact.

Let me repeat this - The Marlins still have the rights to Juan Pierre for one more year (2006). The three year contract he signed in Colorado fell one year short of free agency.

There will be no "bidding war", there will no third party intervention, no other teams driving his price up. He will, at worst go to arbitration with the Marlins for the 2006 season and in my estimation, ala Castillo, will sign a multi-year deal with the Fish sometime this season and next winter.

Let me repeat this - The Marlins still have the rights to Juan Pierre for one more year (2006). The three year contract he signed in Colorado fell one year short of free agency.

There will be no "bidding war", there will no third party intervention, no other teams driving his price up. He will, at worst go to arbitration with the Marlins for the 2006 season and in my estimation, ala Castillo, will sign a multi-year deal with the Fish sometime this season and next winter.

694383[/snapback]

I think they were talking about a bidding war if the Marlins were to put him on the trade market

694383[/snapback]

like FlaMarlins3 said, I was referring to a bidding war if he was put on the market next winter

you can clone a persons abilitys, as in Eric reed but you cant clone JP's personality ,Heart, work ethic, devotion to his team and to winning. I dont care, i think Jp is the MVP of our team.*

*im a Cabrera Fan too

694409[/snapback]

Amen to that... There is nobody like Juan Pierre in this league. We need to keep him.

you can clone a persons abilitys, as in Eric reed but you cant clone JP's personality ,Heart, work ethic, devotion to his team and? to winning. I dont care, i think Jp is the MVP of our team.*

*im a Cabrera Fan too

694409[/snapback]

Amen to that... There is nobody like Juan Pierre in this league. We need to keep him.

694420[/snapback]

You kids crack me up.

you can clone a persons abilitys, as in Eric reed but you cant clone JP's personality ,Heart, work ethic, devotion to his team and? to winning. I dont care, i think Jp is the MVP of our team.*

*im a Cabrera Fan too

694409[/snapback]

694420[/snapback]

You kids crack me up.

694422[/snapback]

Umm.. OK. You do realize, however, I'm 5 years older than you.... :confused