Nap Lajoie

Tris Speaker

Cy Young

To be re-inserted next round:

Walter Johnson

VOTING ENDS IN TWO DAYS

Members of the MarlinsBaseball.com Hall Of Fame:

Babe Ruth

A drunk who had some fun with groupies is a hell of a lot better than a cheating, racist, abusive, bigot who played for blood and physically ended the careers of countless players.

He NEVER cheated. IF you're referring to the gambling incident, he was cleared of ALL charges and re-instated. He NEVER cheated on the field, he played hard and used a lot of intimidation tactics like sharpening his spikes, but he NEVER cheated.

He was not racist. That is a ridiculous and unfounded claim. He was actually one of leading supporters of breaking the color barrier.

"I see no reason in the world why we shouldn't compete with colored athletes as long as they conduct themselves with politeness and gentility. Let me say also that no white man has the right to be less of a gentleman than a colored man, in my book that goes not only for baseball but in all walks of life."

He also made an african-american man, Alexander George Washington Rivers, his bat boy and supported him through out his career. You have to realize he grew up in the South in the Recession, of course they are going to be hard feelings toward blacks, but as he got older and began playing in Detroit, he changed his views drastically. The fact you would even insinuate this shows just how little you know about Tyrus Raymond Cobb.

I'll give you abusive.

A bigot who played for blood and ended countless players careers OR a great player who used every intimidation tactic he could find in the book to gain an advantage. There is no record of him ending any players careers, that's just hyperbole. If you're talking about the time he spiked A's third baseman, Frank Baker, I'll let the Georgia Peach argue this one:

"The base paths belonged to me, the runner. The rules gave me the right. I always went into a bag full speed, feet first. I had sharp spikes on my shoes. If the baseman stood where he had no business to be and got hurt, that was his fault."

Frank Baker did not miss one inning due to that incident.

Guest Moneyball

There were those incidents in the minors mentioned in Al Stump's book of Ty Cobb talking about hiding baseballs in his uni and bases to confuse opposing players.

Cobb himself told Al Stump that "negroes" shouldn't be allowed to play baseball. He referred to them as "n*****s" and "coons" several times in the book. He did sit-out several exhibition games in Cuba because he refused to play with black players.

Cobb was an outspoken proponent of the South in the Civil War. When he was young he studied many books about battles won by the South in the Civil War.

To say Tyrus Cobb wasn't rascist is like saying Babe Ruth wasn't fat.

Guest Moneyball

767112[/snapback]

well, he wasn't fat until the end of his career

:plain

767136[/snapback]

To say Tyrus Cobb wasn't racist is like saying Jackie Robinson wasn't black.

767112[/snapback]

well, he wasn't fat until the end of his career

:plain

767136[/snapback]

To say Tyrus Cobb wasn't racist is like saying Jackie Robinson wasn't black.

767149[/snapback]

i guess that works better

He was not racist. That is a ridiculous and unfounded claim. He was actually one of leading supporters of breaking the color barrier.

766463[/snapback]

Are you kidding me... THE MAN WAS A MEMBER OF THE KKK, what more evidence do you need?

Saying Ty Cobb was not a racist is like saying man never landed on the moon.

766463[/snapback]

Are you kidding me... THE MAN WAS A MEMBER OF THE KKK, what more evidence do you need?

Saying Ty Cobb was not a racist is like saying man never landed on the moon.

767404[/snapback]

No response?