Mudcat Scouting Report...

Malman

Found this on the website - www.theminorsfirst.com - thought it might be of interest...sounds like Hermy needs to work on his "D"...

Around the Southern League by Glenn Guzzo

Carolina Mudcats (Marlins)

No. 1 Jeremy Hermida, RF (.274-10-22, 1107 OPS). Entered season with a rep for high average, low power. Reversing that this season, with league-leading 10 HR as early-season favorite for league MVP. Carolina is a hitter's park in a pitcher's-park league. Still, Hermida showed his pedrigree in Jax on April 26, when he homered to tie the game while leading off the 8th, then tied the game again with a two-out, two-run homer in the 9th. When Carolina won in extra innings, it was their 10th straight victory. Surprisingly, a terrible fielder. Based on atrocities I saw him commit in a Spring Training game and in Jax, he's a "4" in Strat-O-Matic terms until he proves otherwise.

No. 6 Eric Reed, CF. (.309-0-5, 677 OPS). His AA season ended early last year because of injury. Had two-season overlapping hit streak of 20 early this year, but while hitting .415 sat twice in three days when Jacksonville threw lefties. In his one start, he showed his speed and defense, both top-flight, but the stats show only 3 walks - the deficiency he must cure if he is to replace Juan Pierre as the Marlins' future leadoff man. In an off-season interview aired on mlb.com's internet radio, Reed talked about the importance of him raising his on-base average. Maybe he just doesn't have it in him.

No. 9 Robert Andino, SS (.325-1-12, 769 OPS). Although he has made 7 errors, I saw a confident, sure-handed, strong-armed, heady SS. Thought to be headed back to High-A this year, Marlins are pushing him. Strong offensive start, at odds with previous seasons, is encouraging. His 5 walks are not.

No. 18 Logan Kensing, RHSP (3-1, 2.08, 10 walks, 31 Ks in 34 IP). I liked his velocity, his control and his mound presence.

No. 20 Chris Resop, RHRP (1-0, 3.60, 7 saves, 0 walks, 11 Ks in 10 IP). The win and the high ERA come from a game in Jax, where he blew a 2-run save opportunity thanks to a two-out fly being lost in the sun. He then won the game by hitting a bases-loaded triple in the 10th. He gave up three hits (one the sun-influenced double) to the first five batters, then blew away the final hitter with 93-mph heat.

I did not see No. 2 Scott Olsen, No.3 Yorman Bazardo or No. 11 Josh Johnson, all pitchers off to strong starts on this well-loaded Carolina team that is the class of the Southern League this year.

:mischief2

I don't know why Reed's low walk totals is a big deal- Pierre doesn't walk nearly enough for a leadoff hitter, either.

769974[/snapback]

Because Reed K's more than Pierre too. I hope we neevr lose Pierre but he might cost too much with Cabs and Willis being future FAs.

769998[/snapback]

We're talking about 3 years away, maybe 4(before they are FA's)...it's not in the near future