Heat-Pistons

The Fan

Source: Blood drained from Shaq's thigh bruise

ESPN.com news services

MIAMI -- Miami Heat center Shaquille O'Neal was limited in the Heat's full practice Sunday in Miami. He participated in shooting drills, rode a stationary bike and worked on plays with team, but did not fully practice.

O'Neal's availability for the start of the Eastern Conference finals against the Detroit Pistons, which start Monday night at 8 ET, remains a mystery because of continued concern over his bruised right thigh.

A source told ESPN's Rachel Nichols that 10 days ago, there was so much blood collecting into a hematoma in Shaq's thigh, doctors had to stick him with a needle and drain it. The first day they took out about 80cc's of blood, the next day they took out about 20cc's.

The source added that since then, the bruising has lessened somewhat, and when Shaq does play again, he'll wear a protective covering to prevent further injury. The Heat would not comment on the specifics of Shaq's injury.

Shaq practiced with the Heat on Saturday, participating in 5-on-5, full-contact, full-court basketball for the first time in 11 days. He was held out of some later portions of the workout, a move designed so that he wouldn't overtax the sore muscle that has bothered him for five weeks.

Still, he was noncommittal about being ready for Monday's Game 1 with the Pistons, saying he "hopefully" would be in the Heat starting lineup against the defending NBA champions.

"We just have to keep playing well," said O'Neal, who hasn't played since Game 2 of the East semis with Washington. "I don't want this to be about me. I haven't been out there for a couple games, and the team has been playing well. If I play, we're going to do the same thing. If I don't, we're going to do the same thing."

Meanwhile, the Pistons -- who ended Shaq's quest for a fourth NBA title last season, beating the Los Angeles Lakers in five games for the league championship -- steadfastly believe the 7-foot-1, 327-pound force will be raring to go when the series opens.

"That's what Shaq wants y'all to think, that he's hurting," Pistons forward Ben Wallace said. "Shaq is going to be ready to play. Don't keep feeding into that. There's nothing wrong with Shaq."

Added Detroit forward Rasheed Wallace: "It doesn't matter if he's 100 percent, [or] 55 percent, he's still going to demand that double team and special attention. To me, he's the greatest player on earth."

O'Neal was injured April 17 when he was inadvertently kneed by Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal while defending a drive to the basket. He hasn't been the same since, yet still averaged 18 points and 8.2 rebounds in Miami's first six playoff games.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

remember this?

Experts: Shaq needs time

Injury could force him to miss Game 1 of Eastern finals

May 20, 2005

BY JACOB GOLDSTEIN

KNIGHT RIDDER NEWSPAPERS

MIAMI -- While Shaquille O'Neal's doctors have declined to discuss the severity of the Heat center's thigh injury, there's an ungainly phrase that should be of concern to Heat fans: myositis ossificans.

English translation: the formation of tiny, bone-like fragments inside a muscle in the aftermath of a deep bruise such as the one that has sidelined O'Neal.

Experts said O'Neal most likely is suffering from a serious but ordinary muscle bruise, which can take six weeks or more to heal. They described myositis ossificans as a worst-case scenario.

The condition develops in about 10% of cases. At its worst, it can sideline an athlete for months and require surgery.

"This is not something that you can totally prevent," said Dr. Eric Coris, director of the sports medicine program at the University of South Florida Health Sciences Center. "Calcium gets laid down as the area heals. It looks like very thin, flat bone within the muscle."

The fragments can cause pain and stiffness. Surgeons usually wait at least six months before removing the fragments; if they act sooner, there is a high risk that new deposits will reappear.

http://www.freep.com/sports/basketball/nba...0e_20050520.htm

he's got it.

god damn it.

Well Shaq just got moved to the starting lineup.

780854[/snapback]

TNT has not shown this yet, so I hope it is on another network you are watching. This would make me very happy if this is true.

780856[/snapback]

Maybe I've gone mad.

780863[/snapback]

There we go.

780854[/snapback]

TNT has not shown this yet, so I hope it is on another network you are watching. This would make me very happy if this is true.

780856[/snapback]

Maybe I've gone mad.

780863[/snapback]

Now TNT showed it as official.

780854[/snapback]

780856[/snapback]

Maybe I've gone mad.

780863[/snapback]

Now TNT showed it as official.

780876[/snapback]

yeah when they zoomed in on the scoreboard at zo's name my hermano said it switched to shaq

i took his word for it but that was a while ago

The refs have been atrocious. Numerous times Heat players have driven down the lane and have been absolutely hammered without a call, and the Dooling drive at the end of the half is just a prime example.

Wade has been pretty poor so far and Detroits defense looks great on him, however, Shaq has been nearly unstopable.

Should be a great 2nd half.

The refs have been atrocious. Numerous times Heat players have driven down the lane and have been absolutely hammered without a call, and the Dooling drive at the end of the half is just a prime example.

Wade has been pretty poor so far and Detroits defense looks great on him, however, Shaq has been nearly unstopable.

Should be a great 2nd half.

781119[/snapback]

I agree on all counts, but Detroit's reputation is goint to help them get away with a lot, so the Heat will just have to adjust.

Should be a great 2nd half, oh Lord this is going to be a great series.

Pistons up 44-43 at the half.

It looks like this is going to be a close game that's going to go down to the wire.

Shaq has played excellent even though he's not so mobile. The Pistons haven't been double teaming him though....And they all expected Shaq to play.

Eddie Jones has also had a good first half. He's knocking down his shots and doing a great job with the pick and roll's.

The Pistons have been very tough on Wade. They've been all over him, and everytime Wade got loose and went inside, they blocked his shot. But I still expect Wade to take it inside.He'll probably have to do a little more shooting in this game than he usually needs too though...

The Pistons are such a long team is disgusting. Hamilton and Prince have arms like monkeys that extend down to their ankles.

Hopefully in a few years Dorell Wright will develop for us and use his McGrady like length and athleticism to either bolster our backcourt heigh with Wade at the 1, or become a SF and still give us good length.

Eitherway, we could definitely use a long, athletic player in the draft or FA.

Here is to hoping Qyntel Woods and Dorell Wright develop into our future with Wade. It would be nice to match up with teams by throwing out Wade at PG at 6'4'', Wright at SG at 6'7'' and Woods at 6'8''.

The Pistons are such a long team is disgusting. Hamilton and Prince have arms like monkeys that extend down to their ankles.

Hopefully in a few years Dorell Wright will develop for us and use his McGrady like length and athleticism to either bolster our backcourt heigh with Wade at the 1, or become a SF and still give us good length.

Eitherway, we could definitely use a long, athletic player in the draft or FA.

Here is to hoping Qyntel Woods and Dorell Wright develop into our future with Wade. It would be nice to match up with teams by throwing out Wade at PG at 6'4'', Wright at SG at 6'7'' and Woods at 6'8''.

781150[/snapback]

Wade especially seems to have problems with their length, or it appears so based on what I've seen of Pistons/Heat this year. That stepback jumper of his just isn't as open when long arms are all in his face, he needs to try and initiate contact more and get to the free throw line so the defense will step back a bit, and he's more than capable.