Marine in Iraq responds to "die-in" protests

Accord

On Friday we noted that a score of Ohio University students and others had staged a "die-in" to protest the liberation of Iraq. Today "The Post," the Ohio University student newspaper, carried a letter from Marc Fencil, a senior who is also a Marine currently stationed in Iraq that is so excellent we reprint it in full:

The Post

Ohio University

8 April 2005

http://thepost.baker.ohiou.edu/E.ph...=E4&date=040805

"It's a shame that I'm here in Iraq with the Marines right now and not back at Ohio University completing my senior year and joining in blissful ignorance with the enlightened, war-seasoned protesters who participated in the recent "die-in" at College Gate. It would appear that all the action is back home, but why don't we make sure? That's right, this is an open invitation for you to cut your hair, take a shower, get in shape and come on over! If Michael Moore can shave and lose enough weight to fit into a pair of camouflage utilities, then he can come too!

Make sure you all say your goodbyes to your loved ones though, because you won't be seeing them for at least the next nine months. You need to get here quick because I don't want you to miss a thing. You missed last month's discovery of a basement full of suicide vests from the former regime (I'm sure Saddam's henchmen just wore them because they were trendy though). You weren't here for the opening of a brand new school we built either. You might also notice women exercising their new freedom of walking to the market unaccompanied by their husbands.

There is a man here, we just call him al-Zarqawi, but we think he'd be delighted to sit down and give you some advice on how you can further disrespect the victims of Sept. 11 and the 1,600 of America's bravest who have laid down their lives for a safer world. Of course he'll still call you "infidel" but since you already agree that there is no real evil in the world, I see no reason for you to be afraid. Besides, didn't you say that radical Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance?

I'm warning you though ---- it's not going to be all fun and games over here. You might have bad dreams for the next several nights after you zip up the body bag over a friend's disfigured face. I know you think that nothing, even a world free of terror for one's children, is worth dying for, but bear with me here. We're going to live in conditions you've never dreamt about. You should get here soon though, because the temperatures are going to be over 130 degrees very soon and we will be carrying full combat loads (we're still going to work though). When it's all over, I promise you can go back to your coffee houses and preach about social justice and peace while you continue to live outside of reality.

If you decide to decline my offer, then at least you should sleep well tonight knowing that men wearing black facemasks and carrying AK-47s yelling "Allahu Akbar" over here are proud of you and are forever indebted to you for advancing their cause of terror. While you ponder this, I'll get back to the real "die-in" over here. I don't mind."

Marc Fencil

USMC

Iraq

:thumbup

The letter makes utterly no sense When will people get through their heads that protesting a war IS NOT THE SAME as being against the troops. Did they say they hate the troops? NO Did they say they think war is easy? NO Did they say the troops suck? NO. For God's sake, take the damn blinders off and let your mind move a little.

What this guy should be pissed about is the blatant Republican opposition to increasing funding for armored humvees. People are screwing him and his fellow soliders over in worse ways than a stupid protest. But he is so blind politically that he cant see that.

But since we are talking about supporting the troops...

The military is facing enormous shortfalls in recruiting. Im sure all those people who so proudly put yellow ribbons on there car, clear the best way to support the troops(sarcasm), will now be willing to send more of their sons and daughters to fight. Yeah right.

This soldier clearly doesn't see the difference between opposing a war and being against our troops.

I can guarantee that the students at Ohio University are just against the war, and nothing further. That's where I stand. Our soldiers didn't have a choice when they were ordered to go and fight.

As for his shot at Michael Moore...Fahrenheit 9/11 showed the horrors of the War in Iraq, and how dangerous the conditions in the country have been.

The letter makes utterly no sense When will people get through their heads that protesting a war IS NOT THE SAME as being against the troops. Did they say they hate the troops? NO Did they say they think war is easy? NO Did they say the troops suck? NO. For God's sake, take the damn blinders off and let your mind move a little.

What this guy should be pissed about is the blatant Republican opposition to increasing funding for armored humvees. People are screwing him and his fellow soliders over in worse ways than a stupid protest. But he is so blind politically that he cant see that.

The military is facing enormous shortfalls in recruiting. Im sure all those people who so proudly put yellow ribbons on there car, clear the best way to support the troops(sarcasm), will now be willing to send more of their sons and daughters to fight. Yeah right.

781741[/snapback]

When will you take off your political blinders and realize that parents dont send their kids to the military. In this country whether you agree or not, at 18 a person is an adult who makes their own decisions. The men and women in our military made a decision as an adult to join. It has nothing to do with their parents. Parents dont send their sons and daughters to fight. A good friend of mine is in marine bootcamp right now. Hes a democrat, from a family of democrats, his mom was against his joining, but he enlisted anyway. Adults making decisions. Period.

On to your other point, I agree with you that being against the cause for war and not supporting the actual troops are different things. However, this soldier sees the protest as a protest not of just the war, but of the military in general. And oftentimes these protestors do not make the distinction clearly, and many protestors DO NOT support the troops along with the war. What theyre true feelings are we will never know. Furthermore, you keep referring to this bill that the republicans turned down for funding for humvees. Unfortunately i havent had time to review the full text of the bill in order to determine why cerain people voted in certain ways. Perhaps some added pork caused the votes against.

781741[/snapback]

When will you take off your political blinders and realize that parents dont send their kids to the military. In this country whether you agree or not, at 18 a person is an adult who makes their own decisions. The men and women in our military made a decision as an adult to join. It has nothing to do with their parents. Parents dont send their sons and daughters to fight. A good friend of mine is in marine bootcamp right now. Hes a democrat, from a family of democrats, his mom was against his joining, but he enlisted anyway. Adults making decisions. Period.

On to your other point, I agree with you that being against the cause for war and not supporting the actual troops are different things. However, this soldier sees the protest as a protest not of just the war, but of the military in general. And oftentimes these protestors do not make the distinction clearly, and many protestors DO NOT support the troops along with the war. What theyre true feelings are we will never know. Furthermore, you keep referring to this bill that the republicans turned down for funding for humvees. Unfortunately i havent had time to review the full text of the bill in order to determine why cerain people voted in certain ways. Perhaps some added pork caused the votes against.

782634[/snapback]

Irregardless, there are still people who think supporting the troops is just putting a yellow ribbon on their car and not being critical of the president. Let get real. If they were asked to make a larger sacrifice for this country, how many of the yellow ribbon folks would be ok with their children, regardless of age, going?

If these guys were protesting the military in general, then yes he has a point. And hell, Im sure some of these idiots dont actually know what they are protesting. But it just irks the hell out of me that policy can so easily hide behind the troops.