Centrists Prevail in Filibuster Fight

FutureGM

Thanks to the help of Republican Senators John Warner and John McCain, the right to filibuster judicial nominations has been preserved.

Finally, the centrists in the GOP majority have stood up to the far-right members of their party, and kept the Senate from turning into a shooting ground.

I applaud those two centrists for their actions.

Comments?

I think its the best situation the democrats could get considering Bush was this close to basically having a free pass at nominating whoever he wants. Some are upset that they didnt put it all on the table and force Frist to get 50 votes but that would be an immense risk. Under this scenario, the right is still checked albeit with specific language. In this case, do people like Priscilla Owens get to be considered legit or can dems still block these people without it being considered a pullback on the deal? The language of extraordinary circumstances is vague but I hope it is meant to quell those who were afraid the Republicans pretty much relented. One way or another, the dems got something out of a very touch situation.

Here is what I think will be the ultimate consequence: McCain just gave up any hopes of becoming the Republican nominee in 2008. He basically gave Dobson and the religious right a big middle finger and that will come up again in South Carolina and Iowa. My respect for John McCain went up even larger and if he did win the nomination, I think I would vote for him unless the democratic candidate was better.

I've already been hearing how angry the far-right people are with how McCain, Warner, and the others basically turned their back on their party. In reality, they were just preserving something that has existed for this country's history, and prevented the Senate from getting extremely ugly.

Some Republicans are up in arms that Frist didn't use the nuclear option, but I have a feeling that he never had the votes. If he had the votes, I think he would have gone through with it anyway.

This is a victory for both Republican and Democratic moderates everywhere.

Hopefully the far-left democrats wont turn their backs on the moderates by filibustering even moderate nominations.

782636[/snapback]

Did they do that on the 120 or so already confirmed? Fears allayed. Your welcome.

782862[/snapback]

Nail hit on head.

782994[/snapback]

I was actually more concerned about supreme court nominations if and when they happen. Fears still pending review

Well, the fact still stands we now have 120+ judges approved and seated. If Bush can manage to find a candidate with credentials similiar to those approved I think said candidate should glide by with only minor protest. If not, he knows what will happen. The moderates proved victorious in this case. I know this issue worries you greatly because you're pet issue is abortion.

There will be no problem if Bush nominates a good legal mind, even if conservative, like William Rehnquist. But the fact is, he won't. He will nominate someone like Clarence Thomas who is a total frikkin joke in his legal decisions. Thomas mixes and matches legal foundation for political convenience. Thomas is a radical and thats what the religious right wants. He looks to original intent when he wants to and chooses to ignore it when it is unconservative. Bush will do so because he wants the third branch of government to be an extension of the Republican party.

Listen, thats a fact and you know it legacy. Its an issue of judicial independence. When Kennedy. another conservative, was nominated and he did not overturn Roe v Wade, the religious right was totally furious. They were furious with all the Republican nominations that did not do their will on Terry Schiavo. They simply dont care about the law. Bush is not gonna let that happen again so dont pretend this will turn into an issue of liberals blocking moderates. Thats a total smokescreen on your part.

I like Justice kennedy, hes a true conservative. And shamrock, are you referring to me as being someone whos pet issue is abortion? And if so, is that sarcasm?

784481[/snapback]

Someone like Kennedy wont be nominated. He is too smart. He had the audacity to refer to principles of international law in the under 18 death penalty cases. Talk radio has already made him a hated figure.

I like Justice kennedy, hes a true conservative. And shamrock, are you referring to me as being someone whos pet issue is abortion? And if so, is that sarcasm?

784481[/snapback]

No, I was just taking an educated guess. It probably isn't now that I think about it. Taxes?

I like Justice kennedy, hes? a true conservative. And shamrock, are you referring to me as being someone whos pet issue is abortion? And if so, is that sarcasm?

784481[/snapback]

No, I was just taking an educated guess. It probably isn't now that I think about it. Taxes?

784516[/snapback]

Yea, taxes and govt spending is my thing.