Report: NHL Players agree to Salary Cap

FishFan24

Salary cap to be based on percentage of revenue of each team

ESPN.com news services

TORONTO -- The NHL and the NHL Players' Association have agreed on a salary-cap system, eliminating the biggest stumbling block to the resumption of play next season, the Toronto Globe and Mail reported on its Web site Wednesday.

The paper reported that a source close to the owners, and another close to both owners and players, said there would be a team-by-team salary cap, based on a percentage of the revenue of each franchise.

In what is believed to be a six-year agreement, based on revenue projections by both sides, the salary cap will range from $34 million to $36 million, with the floor from $22 million to $24 million.

The league has previously demanded that the cap be 54 percent of a team's revenue.

However, this does not mean that an overall deal on the lockout is imminent. Negotiators for the players and owners are now working on other issues such as salary arbitration and free agency, according to GlobeandMail.com.

"They still have a ways to go," one source told the paper, although with the cap issue settled there is reason to hope a deal can be reached by early July.

NHL vice-president Bill Daly, the league's chief negotiator, declined to confirm or deny reports of a salary-cap deal.

But he did say publicly on Tuesday that negotiators had moved on to other issues, including salary arbitration, free agency, qualifying contract offers and others.

The lockout caused the cancellation of the 2004-05 season.

Guest Fritz

And I can't wait for the best part...when the NBA is on strike and the NHL is king of the winter again.

801005[/snapback]

I hate to burst your bubble, but baseball news and college basketball will dominate the sports world this winter.

And I can't wait for the best part...when the NBA is on strike and the NHL is king of the winter again.

801005[/snapback]

I love how you want the NBA to strike just to make the NHL not look so bad, LOL, it wont happen.

Baseball was able to recover from a big strike like this becuase it was the nation's pastime, Hockey wont be able to because it is the nation's naptime.

Thats right. Its currently not looking too good for the NBA right now. Hopefully they don't have a whole season cancelled like the NHL did.

801007[/snapback]

The NBA won't cancel the season. The NHL was changing an entire economic system, the main issues in the NBA are minor in comparison (contract length and age limit).

801005[/snapback]

I love how you want the NBA to strike just to make the NHL not look so bad, LOL, it wont happen.

Baseball was able to recover from a big strike like this becuase it was the nation's pastime, Hockey wont be able to because it is the nation's naptime.

801096[/snapback]

:lol

Do you realize the last time the NHL went on strike/lockout the attendance went up? Your ignorance is astounding. And no, baseball didn't recover because its the nation's pastime, it recovered because of a roided up McGwire/Sosa/Griffey homerun race.

801005[/snapback]

801096[/snapback]

Do you realize the last time the NHL went on strike/lockout the attendance went up? Your ignorance is astounding. And no, baseball didn't recover because its the nation's pastime, it recovered because of a roided up McGwire/Sosa/Griffey homerun race.

801783[/snapback]

We are in 2005 now, not 1994. In 1994 did they lose a whole season? NHL ratings were already at an all-time low, and not many advertisers or casual fans will come back to your sport. Face it, few people give a rat's ass about this sport. They have a crappy national TV deal and with ESPN not covering the games on their channel, they will be giving less air time to it on their programs, which means the casual fan wont give a crap anymore.

The Stanley Cup ratings have been falling steadily from 2000 with the '04 cup getting a 2.6 rating...a 2.6!!! This is the superbowl of your sport and you cant even beat out Everybody Loves Raymond re-runs.

What do you think they will be after a year long (possibly more) drought? It may not even be measurable.

Please stop reading tsn.ca and realize that this sport is barely on life support right before the strike, and will be even worse now.

But keep hoping for that NBA lockout....!!!!!

This is great! Now I can look forward to the Pens this winter, maybe even going to a game! Hopefully Mario will come back for a swan song, although he'll probably have to play just to get butts into the seats at the Igloo.

801814[/snapback]

Mario will be back if all signs of his continued playing hold true.

801005[/snapback]

801096[/snapback]

801783[/snapback]

We are in 2005 now, not 1994. In 1994 did they lose a whole season? NHL ratings were already at an all-time low, and not many advertisers or casual fans will come back to your sport. Face it, few people give a rat's ass about this sport. They have a crappy national TV deal and with ESPN not covering the games on their channel, they will be giving less air time to it on their programs, which means the casual fan wont give a crap anymore.

The Stanley Cup ratings have been falling steadily from 2000 with the '04 cup getting a 2.6 rating...a 2.6!!! This is the superbowl of your sport and you cant even beat out Everybody Loves Raymond re-runs.

What do you think they will be after a year long (possibly more) drought? It may not even be measurable.

Please stop reading tsn.ca and realize that this sport is barely on life support right before the strike, and will be even worse now.

801828[/snapback]

You are truly laughable. The NHL was just ending the Golden Era of hockey where it was on pace to become the number two sport in America. And do I care if ESPN carries them? No. Because ESPN hockey coverage sucks. And it doesn't matter about the casual fan. The diehard fans make up most hockey fans anyway and they were enough in 1994 and now to keep the NHL attendance up.

The NHL, like it or not, will be back next year and stronger than it has been in a decade. Face it, the casual fan will be forced to at least entertain the thought of watching hockey as the boredom of an NBA-less season will set in.

Guest Fritz

801005[/snapback]

801096[/snapback]

801783[/snapback]

801828[/snapback]

You are truly laughable. The NHL was just ending the Golden Era of hockey where it was on pace to become the number two sport in America. And do I care if ESPN carries them? No. Because ESPN hockey coverage sucks. And it doesn't matter about the casual fan. The diehard fans make up most hockey fans anyway and they were enough in 1994 and now to keep the NHL attendance up.

The NHL, like it or not, will be back next year and stronger than it has been in a decade. Face it, the casual fan will be forced to at least entertain the thought of watching hockey as the boredom of an NBA-less season will set in.

801837[/snapback]

The Golden Era of hockey was when? The year the Rangers won the cup? The biggest city in the USA had a winner and the people flocked, are you really surprised. The NHL is a marginalized sport at this point and it'd be lucky to be the #8 sport in this country behind:

football

baseball

college football

basketball

NASCAR

college basketball

golf (any event where Tiger plays)

Dude, the NHL is done and I bet MLS and Arena Football pass it at some point.

801005[/snapback]

801096[/snapback]

801783[/snapback]

801828[/snapback]

801837[/snapback]

2.6 ratings...how the f*** is that strong??????????????????

And what is your reasoning for the NBA lockout? They are not in that bad of a spot, they wont get talking till the current agreement is up, after the draft. They havent even started yet...

801005[/snapback]

801096[/snapback]

801783[/snapback]

801828[/snapback]

801837[/snapback]

The Golden Era of hockey was when? The year the Rangers won the cup? The biggest city in the USA had a winner and the people flocked, are you really surprised. The NHL is a marginalized sport at this point and it'd be lucky to be the #8 sport in this country behind:

football

baseball

college football

basketball

NASCAR

college basketball

golf (any event where Tiger plays)

Dude, the NHL is done and I bet MLS and Arena Football pass it at some point.

801842[/snapback]

Many call the era of the mid 70s to the early 90s the golden era of hockey. When the sport was the fastest growing in the nation.

MLS will never pass it for the same reasons many people are turned off by hockey in its current state. Its not very exciting and consists of diehards. And even the diehards measure few in the MLS. And arena football is laughable.

Hockey will take sometime to recover nationally but it will return better than before.

801005[/snapback]

801096[/snapback]

You must have spent all night thinking up that gem.

801005[/snapback]

801096[/snapback]

801955[/snapback]

No it was easy because I. spit. hot. fiyaaaaah.

801005[/snapback]

801096[/snapback]

801955[/snapback]

Don't give him too much credit now. :thumbup

The big wigs of the NHL are well aware that the sport in it's current state is not exciting to watch on TV, hell i'm not even denying this, it's fricken boring as hell on TV because it is no longer a fast paced affair and action is slim to none. Shot totals are down, scoring chances are down, save percentages are way up, advanced defensive schemes have slowed the pace of the game down considerably and there are a number of tangible rules and factors which can be and will be changed to improve it.

The reason hockey was so popular during the 70's, 80's, and early-mid 90's was because it was an exciting sport that was fun to watch. When the NHL returns, it will not be the same boring sport that all of you have become accustomed to, it will be fast paced with more action, more scoring chances, more goals, and eventually will reclaim it's spot as one of the big 4 in America.

The big wigs of the NHL are well aware that the sport in it's current state is not exciting to watch on TV, hell i'm not even denying this, it's fricken boring as hell on TV because it is no longer a fast paced affair and action is slim to none. Shot totals are down, scoring chances are down, save percentages are way up, advanced defensive schemes have slowed the pace of the game down considerably and there are a number of tangible rules and factors which can be and will be changed to improve it.

The reason hockey was so popular during the 70's, 80's, and early-mid 90's was because it was an exciting sport that was fun to watch. When the NHL returns, it will not be the same boring sport that all of you have become accustomed to, it will be fast paced with more action, more scoring chances, more goals, and eventually will reclaim it's spot as one of the big 4 in America.

801958[/snapback]

Finally a well written post.

My point isI dont care about Hockey either way, but for some people to think that this automatically will restore hockey or that hockey isnt in a TREMENDOUS hole right now is asanine.

The NHL needs 3 things on TV to make it exciting.

1) HDTV has to become more widespread

2) The local FSN partners garner high ratings because FOX makes hockey exciting!

3) The rule changes to include more teams in the playoffs, removing the icing call, and the other line changes to make it more offensive.

To support my points here are the reasons:

1) The NHL is now requiring all new National broadcasters to do HDTV. NBC must do HDTV and ESPN2 was going to have to as well.

2) The NHL gained its greatest ratings increase in the 90's while it was on FOX. FOX promoted the NHL and the Great One with such pleasure that it used as many spots at times as it did on the NFL. FSN still uses that pleasure for hockey and it shows in the ratings. Local FSN HD will allow for further growth of NHL on FSN ratings.

3) This is being done by the league now and they are even running league improvement experiments to try out everything from blue ice for tv to removing some lines to improve play.

Here is my prediction for 3 possible National Broadcast Scenarios not involving ESPN:

1) Spike TV gets the NHL and HDNet would show the same games in HD nationally. (Spike is owned by Viacom, HDNet by Mark Cuban)

2) USA Network gets the NHL and UniversalHD would show those games in HD nationally. (USA and UHD are owned by NBC Universal)

3) FX gets the rights and FOX launches FX HD to air the games nationally.

However, National Cable TV Contracts (including NHL Center Ice) only make up 4-6% of total NHL revenues.