Mota and Leiter news

Al Leiter may be in danger of losing his spot in the Marlins' starting rotation.

The Marlins have several off days coming up, and manager Jack McKeon said he is considering dropping Leiter from the rotation. ''I want to pitch, but I would understand,'' Leiter said. ''I'm the one guy not deserving. I haven't done it consistently enough, and the numbers show it. If that's what Jack does, it wouldn't be a shock.'' Jun. 13 - 7:08 am et

Source: Miami Herald

According to the Miami Herald, Guillermo Mota may be on the trading block.

''Things aren't going my way right now,'' Mota said. ''My arm feels good, but I'm just not getting too many people out. I know the team needs me.'' Jun. 13 - 7:11 am et

From rotoworld.com

Al Leiter may be in danger of losing his spot in the Marlins' starting rotation.

The Marlins have several off days coming up, and manager Jack McKeon said he is considering dropping Leiter from the rotation. ''I want to pitch, but I would understand,'' Leiter said. ''I'm the one guy not deserving. I haven't done it consistently enough, and the numbers show it. If that's what Jack does, it wouldn't be a shock.'' Jun. 13 - 7:08 am et

According to the Miami Herald, Guillermo Mota may be on the trading block.

''Things aren't going my way right now,'' Mota said. ''My arm feels good, but I'm just not getting too many people out. I know the team needs me.'' Jun. 13 - 7:11 am et

From rotoworld.com

807653[/snapback]

I believe they are considering skipping Leiter's next start, not dropping him from the rotation.

From what Mota is saying he realizes he is having a problem and is trying to improve, so we'll see.

I'm the last guy to fault anyone in the bigs. I've been accused time and again of being an apologist for any number of players because in general I believe having just made it to the bigs, whether it be for a decade-long career or a cup of coffee, is a tremendous accomplishment, and that accomplishment should be recognized for what it is.

That's why I often get upset with how frequently and loosely terms like "he sucks", "he's garbage" etc. are thrown around.

That disclaimer aside, I believe it's time, or the time is quickly approaching for Al Leiter to retire or be cut. Eat the $8 million, move on and find a qualified pitcher to replace him on the roster. No one holds Admin Beinfest to such a high level of expectation that he can't make a mistake, and clearly, with a third of the season gone, Leiter has proven to be a liability this team can live without.

Leiter's no fool, he knows what's going on. He knows more often than not he can no longer be counted on to secure a victory for the club. The handwriting is on the wall.

I doubt very much he wants to be traded to fillintheblank, it might be best for him to retire (with an agreed upon severance) rather than be ignominiously thrown on the trash heap. He could become a traveling pitching coach, or perform services for the organization ala Andre Dawson. Something that allows him to keep his dignity intact.

I think he's man enough to do the right thing.

No one holds Admin Beinfest to such a high level of expectation that he can't make a mistake, and clearly, with a third of the season gone, Leiter has proven to be a liability this team can live without.

807841[/snapback]

I'll be the first one to criticize Beinfest, everyone knows that, but I can't blame him on this one. No one could've predicted how badly he would struggle this season. I didn't expect Leiter to be the man that we saw in 1996 and 1997, but I did expect him to be a solid 4th starter, and nothing more. Now, I didn't think Leiter deserved an $8 million contract but in all fairness Beinfest's options were limited. What we needed was a guy who would sign a 1-year contract to bridge the gap to our talented young arms in AA, and Leiter was pretty much the only feasible option at the time.

Leiter has to be let go in my opinion he has no use in the bullpen. We're going to have to pick up another solid starter before the trade deadline if we're going to win this division, because Valdez is not going to cut it. Valdez is a 5th starter for most middle of the pack teams, but not one for a team with playoff aspirations.

No one holds Admin Beinfest to such a high level of expectation that he can't make a mistake, and clearly, with a third of the season gone, Leiter has proven to be a liability this team can live without.

807841[/snapback]

I'll be the first one to criticize Beinfest, everyone knows that, but I can't blame him on this one. No one could've predicted how badly he would struggle this season. I didn't expect Leiter to be the man that we saw in 1996 and 1997, but I did expect him to be a solid 4th starter, and nothing more. Now, I didn't think Leiter deserved an $8 million contract but in all fairness Beinfest's options were limited. What we needed was a guy who would sign a 1-year contract to bridge the gap to our talented young arms in AA, and Leiter was pretty much the only feasible option at the time.

Leiter has to be let go in my opinion he has no use in the bullpen. We're going to have to pick up another solid starter before the trade deadline if we're going to win this division, because Valdez is not going to cut it. Valdez is a 5th starter for most middle of the pack teams, but not one for a team with playoff aspirations.

807867[/snapback]

I call BS. Ismael Valdez is a 5th Starter for a playoff bound team. Would you have made that statement in April before Brian 'the miracle' Moehler came around? I am all for packaging Enc, Stokesish Prospect and Leiter away for middle relief - see "Shopping List"

807841[/snapback]

807867[/snapback]

I call BS. Ismael Valdez is a 5th Starter for a playoff bound team. Would you have made that statement in April before Brian 'the miracle' Moehler came around? I am all for packaging Enc, Stokesish Prospect and Leiter away for middle relief - see "Shopping List"

807881[/snapback]

I felt coming into this season that come trade deadline time, we would need to pick up another starter for the stretch run to replace Valdez. Of course I couldn't have predicted the emergence of Moehler, but I alse couldn't predict the fact that Leiter would be so awful, so those two things kind of canceled each other out and I still feel the same way.